yairzick

Filing an I-130 - no domicile or residence

29 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I recently received an offer to work at a university in the US (postdoc position), and I'll need to apply for a visa for my wife and two kids. I understand that the only option that I really have is to apply for an IR-1/IR-2 visa, which requires me to submit an I-130. However, I do not qualify formally to sponsor my family to go to the US, since I do not have a permanent US address (I have never lived in the US past the age of 14, and have lived there for a total of about 2 years, right after I was born).

So, from what I understand, right now I have one option: go to the US before my wife and kids, get a domicile (i.e. rent an apartment), and then apply. This seems like a really weird thing to do.

I read somewhere that I can apply without having a current US address, but showing INTENT of having one (say, an offer letter from my employer). Is this true? If so, how do I do that? There's no section in the I-130 for this.

Thanks, I'm a bit lost, so I'd appreciate a quick reply if anyone knows.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Check if Singapore has DCF -Direct Consular filing and if so, that might be faster and easier route since you are there and your wife is there as well?

Mailed I-130 overnight-8/28/2013

Delivered to the USCIS PO Box Chicago 8/29/2013

NOA1 date-8/29/2013 Got as of 9/4/2013

Transfer Date : 2/24/2014

Transferred to Vermont

NOA2 3/7/2014

NVC received 3/19/2014

Case number Assigned 4/18/2014

DS-261 filed 4/26/2014

AOS paid 4/28/2014

AOS shows paid 4/30/2014

IV paid 4/30/2014

AOS and IV packages overnighted sent 5/2/2014

Packages at NVC 5/5/2014, system date of 5/7/2014

Case Complete 6/2/2014

Interview assigned 6/11/2014

Interview 7/18/2014 at Mumbai, India

POE 8/28/2014

Twins-7/19/2015 (Boy and Girl)!!

I-751 mailed in 6/1/2016 (two day priority)

@mza001,

thanks for the reply. However, what you're saying is not relevant. If I apply from Singapore and do not have a permanent residential address in the US then my application (as far as I understand) will be declined.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

if you have stayed more than 6 months in Singapore you become a permanent resident of that country and you "file internationally". That applies to DCF. In India, if people have lived there for more than 6 months, they can apply there itself and put the Indian address etc. That way your i-130 is processed at the local office and you kind of skip the NVC process. And i am sure you can find a way to rent a po box or something that can work as your address too in the US

Mailed I-130 overnight-8/28/2013

Delivered to the USCIS PO Box Chicago 8/29/2013

NOA1 date-8/29/2013 Got as of 9/4/2013

Transfer Date : 2/24/2014

Transferred to Vermont

NOA2 3/7/2014

NVC received 3/19/2014

Case number Assigned 4/18/2014

DS-261 filed 4/26/2014

AOS paid 4/28/2014

AOS shows paid 4/30/2014

IV paid 4/30/2014

AOS and IV packages overnighted sent 5/2/2014

Packages at NVC 5/5/2014, system date of 5/7/2014

Case Complete 6/2/2014

Interview assigned 6/11/2014

Interview 7/18/2014 at Mumbai, India

POE 8/28/2014

Twins-7/19/2015 (Boy and Girl)!!

I-751 mailed in 6/1/2016 (two day priority)

Ah, I see what you mean... Yes, it seems that I'll need to petition via the nearest USICS office, which is in Thailand. Thank you very much!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Ah, I see what you mean... Yes, it seems that I'll need to petition via the nearest USICS office, which is in Thailand. Thank you very much!

Go here o the NVC filers thread a good read about setting up domicile (read post #1 and #2). With children and such will be easy to run ome and setup or do from there.

You also have to consider a co-sponsor for the I-864 (Affidavit of Support).

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/468369-nvc-filers-december-2013/page-1

Here also is an information read on Singapore DCF

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/279218-dcf-singapore/

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Take into consideration that you're supposed to register for selective service as a USC male.

As a USC, you're also supposed to file taxes on your worldwide income.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You do not need to come to the US to establish a US domicile before your family can immigrate. You can show the intent to reestablish a US domicile and your family can immigrate when you return to the US.

Here are some issues you may run into.

First, US citizens are required to file US tax returns on their worldwide income even if they live abroad and earn nothing in the US. There is an $90,000 foreign income exemption, so you probably owe nothing in taxes. You will need 3 years of US tax returns or a legal reason why you are exempt from filing US taxes in order to petition for your wife.

Second, the I-864 Affidavit of Support. Since you have no current US income and the current income that you have will not continue when you move (future income from the post doc does not count since it's not current), you will need a Joint Sponsor in addition to the 3 years of US tax returns (or a legal reason you were exempt from filing). A Joint Sponsor must be a US citizen or Legal Permanent Resident who earns a certain amount over the poverty line. Without a Joint Sponsor, the US Embassy can not issue a visa to hour wife.

Third, your kids are exempt from the I-864 Affidavit of Support requirement because under the Child Citizenship Act once they immigrate to the US and receive their green cards, they will be US citizens automatically. So you would file form I-864W for them to waive the I-864 requirement.

Fourth, you must petition your wife and children separately. So, that's 3 separate I-130s. Three separate fees. By the time you are done, it's about $1000 in fees for each person.

Good luck.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

You do not need to come to the US to establish a US domicile before your family can immigrate. You can show the intent to reestablish a US domicile and your family can immigrate when you return to the US.

Here are some issues you may run into.

First, US citizens are required to file US tax returns on their worldwide income even if they live abroad and earn nothing in the US. There is an $90,000 foreign income exemption, so you probably owe nothing in taxes. You will need 3 years of US tax returns or a legal reason why you are exempt from filing US taxes in order to petition for your wife.

Second, the I-864 Affidavit of Support. Since you have no current US income and the current income that you have will not continue when you move (future income from the post doc does not count since it's not current), you will need a Joint Sponsor in addition to the 3 years of US tax returns (or a legal reason you were exempt from filing). A Joint Sponsor must be a US citizen or Legal Permanent Resident who earns a certain amount over the poverty line. Without a Joint Sponsor, the US Embassy can not issue a visa to hour wife.

Third, your kids are exempt from the I-864 Affidavit of Support requirement because under the Child Citizenship Act once they immigrate to the US and receive their green cards, they will be US citizens automatically. So you would file form I-864W for them to waive the I-864 requirement.

Fourth, you must petition your wife and children separately. So, that's 3 separate I-130s. Three separate fees. By the time you are done, it's about $1000 in fees for each person.

Good luck.

Ok, wow, this is getting bleaker by the minute... Thanks everyone for the very fast replies!

So, just to be clear, I CAN FILE THE I-130,

the main issue seems to be not with the I-130, but rather with the I-864.

So, since I have not lived in the US ever, I wasn't even aware of the fact I need to file tax returns. Now I'm in touch with an accountant in the US. Thanks for that tip! Just to be clear, if I just put my Singapore address on the I-130, the correspondence will be with my Singapore address?

Regarding the the co-sponsorship part, how does it work? Will this be required with the original submission of the I-130?

I will file an I-130 for my children as well, that's for sure.

Thanks guys, and God bless America...

Timeline

Ok, wow, this is getting bleaker by the minute... Thanks everyone for the very fast replies!

So, just to be clear, I CAN FILE THE I-130,

the main issue seems to be not with the I-130, but rather with the I-864.

So, since I have not lived in the US ever, I wasn't even aware of the fact I need to file tax returns. Now I'm in touch with an accountant in the US. Thanks for that tip! Just to be clear, if I just put my Singapore address on the I-130, the correspondence will be with my Singapore address?

Regarding the the co-sponsorship part, how does it work? Will this be required with the original submission of the I-130?

I will file an I-130 for my children as well, that's for sure.

Thanks guys, and God bless America...

You can use your Singapore address.

You need a Joint Sponsor. A Joint Sponsor must be a US citizen or Legal Permanent Resident over the age of 18. The JS could be a family member or a friend. This person must make enough to fulfill the I-864 requirements for his family and your wife. The I-864 is required at the NVC stage which occurs about 6 months after you file the I-130.

When does your post doc start?

The immigration process will take about a year.

Edited by aaron2020

My postdoc starts in April 2014. As far as I understand, my family can come on a K-3/K-4 visa even if they do not have an immigrant visa yet. So, by the time I need to deal with the NVC, I will probably be in the US working, which means that I won't need a joint sponsor, is that correct?

My postdoc starts in April 2014. As far as I understand, my family can come on a K-3/K-4 visa even if they do not have an immigrant visa yet. So, by the time I need to deal with the NVC, I will probably be in the US working, which means that I won't need a joint sponsor, is that correct?

K3/4 takes just as long as the I-130 path, so we're not seeing anyone get those types of K visa for spouses anymore on VJ (the I-129fs get joined with the I-130 and then closed).

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/463739-k-3-visa-is-it-still-an-active-or-an-obsolete-visa/

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

No. That is not correct.

There is no way that your family will get either immigrant visas or K-3/K-4 visas by April 2014. US immigration can not get anything done in 3 months.

The K-3/K-4 requires an I-130 be filed first. Once the I-130 is in the system, the K-3/K-4 will be closed and you must go the immigration visa route.

------------

This is your ONLY OPTION with your timeline if you want this post doc.

You file the three separate I-130s for your wife and children TODAY (or as soon as possible.)

You enter the US by yourself in April 2014. You will start your post doc and have a current US income. Hopefully, you will make enough for a household of 4 which is around $28,000 per year.

By Summer 2014, the NVC will ask for the I-864 for your wife.

After another 3-5 months, your wife and children will get immigration visas.

Sorry for the bad news, but this is your only option.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.