Lemon75

Help! Sealed Envelope Arrived Damaged (pics, what to do)

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance's sealed k-1 envelope arrived damaged, its got small knick on the front of the envelope which is fine. However, on the side of the envelope it looks ripped half way open (see picture), will we need to send for a new one even though we weren't the ones that damaged it?

Screen_shot_2013-12-17_at_5_07_23_AM.jpg

Contact the embassy they will instruct you how to handle this issue as it will need a new envelope. Immigration at POE would not accept that.

yes it's normal, with the corner of the envelope torn,

That isn't a cut corner, that is a torn open packet.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Contact the embassy they will instruct you how to handle this issue as it will need a new envelope. Immigration at POE would not accept that.

That isn't a cut corner, that is a torn open packet.

Agree! :thumbs:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

That's a really big hole. Sometimes there's a corner cut off, but that's a full-on rip. I'd contact the embassy.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Let me ask you this, If you were the interviewing IO at the POE what would you think about the tear/opening on the envelope?

Take it back to the issuing embassy and have it resealed...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Some unscrupulous postal workers sometimes open packages looking for valuables...maybe they thought that package had some jewelry in it...rip looks too big

event.png

USCIS:

Service Center : National Benefits Center

Consulate : Moscow

03-07-2013: Marriage

04-16-2013: I-130 NOA1

05-01-2013: I-129F NOA1

11-18-2013: Transfer date to TSC

02-26-2014: NOA2 (I-130 and I-129F)

03-26-2014: Shipped to NVC (I-130 and I-129F)

NVC:

03-28-2014: NVC received case

04-29-2014: Case Number assigned

05-15-2014: AOS packet arrived at NVC

05-15-2014: IV Packet received by NVC

xx-xx-2014: Case Complete

xx-xx-2014: Interview scheduled

Filed: Timeline

Solution

Just as you declare what embassy you wish to be interviewed in, you should also declare your POE.

Then embassy sends to the POE and you get email/text notification that it's there and you can now POE. This resolves the missing, wrong person, stolen, ripped DNO envelopes.

But knowing this whole immigration process it will just turn into another epic clusterfrenchpie.

Some unscrupulous postal workers sometimes open packages looking for valuables...maybe they thought that package had some jewelry in it...rip looks too big

The packs from London are dealt with by a single courier company under contract. It's most likely it was badly manhandled, rather than rifled through - the couriers know what they're delivering.

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

So I originally posted that my envelope arrived damaged, but have been reading that some consulates send envelopes with the corner open so that officers at airport can tell its just papers, before the USA POE officers have to open it. I was wondering if any of you received a k-1 post interview packet with the corner cut-out like mine? Is it normal? What should we do?

normal_Screen_shot_2013-12-17_at_7_02_41

No that does not appear to be normal. Ours had a corner cut off of the manila emvelope. There is no way you could pull any documents out of the envelope. If your is that badly damages I would go to the embassy and ask them what to do ASAP. Good luck

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Solution

Just as you declare what embassy you wish to be interviewed in, you should also declare your POE.

Then embassy sends to the POE and you get email/text notification that it's there and you can now POE. This resolves the missing, wrong person, stolen, ripped DNO envelopes.

But knowing this whole immigration process it will just turn into another epic clusterfrenchpie.

I am stealing this termluv.gif

Love is a gift and not to be earned, therefore one should never hold any regrets for giving love regardless of the outcome...

http://www.whitehouse.gov/share/immigration-and-economy?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=email221-text1&utm_campaign=immigration

event.png

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi there. I recently had this problem with my sealed yellow envelope arriving with two tears in the side. Fairly decent sized tears.

I contacted the embassy and provided pictures and got this reponse:

"Thank you for your recent inquiry.

You may seal the tears with clear tape. Else, the package will be required to be returned to our office.

Thank you"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.