Lemon75

Help! Sealed Envelope Arrived Damaged (pics, what to do)

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiance's sealed k-1 envelope arrived damaged, its got small knick on the front of the envelope which is fine. However, on the side of the envelope it looks ripped half way open (see picture), will we need to send for a new one even though we weren't the ones that damaged it?

Screen_shot_2013-12-17_at_5_07_23_AM.jpg

Edited by Lemon75

does it open directly to your files or the files are still enclosed in a yellow manila envelope? if it opens directly to your files, go back to the consulate and have it replaced

Timeline

I am reading that it may be a normal opening made for airport security to know its just papers. I will check with my fiance about if the inside is in plastic.

Edited by Lemon75

Timeline

So I originally posted that my envelope arrived damaged, but have been reading that some consulates send envelopes with the corner open so that officers at airport can tell its just papers, before the USA POE officers have to open it. I was wondering if any of you received a k-1 post interview packet with the corner cut-out like mine? Is it normal? What should we do?

normal_Screen_shot_2013-12-17_at_7_02_41

-I am the Beneficiary-
event.png

K1 (I-129F) petition filed in August 2013 (Approved Feb 20th 2014)
13th May 2014: AOS (I-485) & EAD/AP combo card
21st May 2014: NOA 1 and biometric letter
11th June 2014: biometric appointment
13th June 2014: RFE received via mail
16th June 2014: replied to RFE
6th August 2014: EAD Approved, AP still in initial review
12th August 2014: got tracking number for EAD
( ) August 2014: Received EAD (I forgot what date I got them but I did receive them less than 5 days from the 12th)
10th September 2014: Interview Waiver received (I wished I was interviewed)
April 23, 2015, we registered your permanent resident status and mailed you a Welcome Notice

I'd get it checked, personally. I've always been told that it needs to be sealed and if opened, re-sealed by the Embassy. When I received my envelope, it was folded up and was sellotaped at the back with a stamp and signature over it to show it hadn't been opened, and that was out of London. I know another member who didn't have that who was out of London too.

Edited by QueenOfBlades

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

Thank you!!!! we can go back to being happy smile.png

Copied from the other topic -

I'd get it checked, personally. I've always been told that it needs to be sealed and if opened, re-sealed by the Embassy. When I received my envelope, it was folded up and was sellotaped at the back with a stamp and signature over it to show it hadn't been opened, and that was out of London. I know another member who didn't have that who was out of London too.

It would be a risk to leave it like that and take it to POE, and if it was me, I would definitely get it checked out. Mine looked nothing like that.

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

both topics merged into one as each topic had replies.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I went through the german embassy so it might be slightly different but honestly, your envelope doesn't seem right to me.

I got my papers in a brown envelope that was in another bigger envelope. The envelope that I wasn't allowed to open did state on it that only an Immgration Officer is allowed to open it. This envelope had an edge cut off and I could see some of the papers but I could not have gotten them out of there. Plus, it was very neatly cut off with scissors and not ripped. Yours looks ripped open by someone.

Check with your embassy (can you send them a picture of your envelope - in Germany we can send emails to the embassy). Don't go to the POE with this envelope without being 100% sure that this is the way it's supposed to be. You risk being denied access to the US!

Nov 30th 2012.....Filed Petition I-129F

Dec 6th 2012.......NOA1 (VSC)

May 29th 2013.....File got transferred to TSC

June 18th 2013....NOA2 (after 196 days!!!)

July 9th 2013.......Case is sent to NVC

July 18th 2013.....Medical in Munich

Aug 28th 2013.....Interview in FRN - Approved!

Aug 30th 2013.....Visa in mail!

Sep 13th 2013.....POE Boston

Nov 12th 2013.....Wedding in Old City Hall, Boston

Dec 02nd 2013....Sent AOS package

Dec 04th 2013.....Package received

Jan 02nd 2014.....Requested expedite for EAD due to severe financial loss (pending job offer)
Jan 06th 2014......Biometrics Appointment
Jan 07th 2014......EAD/AP Combo Card in production
Jan 13th 2014......Combo Card received in mail
Mar 12th 2014.....Potential Interview Waiver Letter
Apr 23rd 2014......Status update to "Card Production"
Apr 25th 2014......Status update to "Decision"
Apr 28th 2014......Welcome Letter arrived
May 3rd 2014.......Green Card arrived

my packet was also torn about 3 centimetres and I could see the inside were papers. I emailed the London embassy as I was worried and they replied with this:

'Provided it is a tear and the envelope has not been opened, you should not experience any problems at the port of entry.'

I also posted on a diff thread regarding the tear, and I was told by some VJ members that your medical docs etc are in there and the reason its sealed is so that you cant tamper with anything inside. At POE last week, I had no problems with the tear at all, the guy didn't even notice.

I think yours should be re-sealed though, it looks pretty big!

Edited by topoftherock2013

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.