Spruu

Visiting US for second time under VWP

67 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have a better idea, do the interview before the visa interview so you can show the Consulate that you have a job to go back to.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Portugal
Timeline

Keep us posted on the outcome of your visa interview.

Good luck!

Will do and thank you! :)

sorry, but no one else may accompany you to your visa interview....there is one and only one applicant...your father cannot control your actions nor decisions more than anyone else...

I'm new to this so thank you for letting me know.

Timeline

Ok, back with updates.

For me this was a surprise considering I had more than information (paperwork) to back me up in this interview however none of it was requested by the Consular Officer, and I mean it. Nothing was asked.

My B2 visa was denied under the Section 214(b).

A denial under Section 214(b) means that you were not able to demonstrate that your intended activities in the United States would be consistent with the classification of the non-imigrant visa for which you applied.

(...)

Applicants usually meet this requirement by demonstrating that they have strong ties overseas that indicate that they will return to a foreign country after a temporary visit to the United States. Such ties include professional, work, school, family or social links to a foreign country

What's bothering me the most is that the Consular Officer didn't ask me for residency proof, possible bills to support that, any other type of information that I could provide that I do not intend to stay in the US.
I have a list of things I could have handed the guy to prove my ties with my country, such as:

- certificate of residency passed by the Parish Council with white stamp
- mail in my name that comes to said residency (phone bills and extracts)
- letter for scheduled job interview (this means I would start working)
- medical appointments
- medical exams
- I live with both my parents that strongly need financial help and me starting to work is going to relieve them from a lot of problems (yes they will depend on me once I have a job)
- I have a pretty large family (aunts/uncles/cousins from first to fourth degree)

From my boyfriend I had all the documentation required, such as:

- notarized affidavit of support
- letter from bank account stating account summary
- bank stating he has enough balance to justify his financial position
- certificate letter from his employer stating he's a permanent worker of the company and his salary
- stub copies
- copy of birth certificate
- passport copy
- letter from him to the consulate stating that he will undertake the responsibility for the whole trip including tickets, boarding, and other expenses.
- formal invitation letter

From all this... the Consular Officer only asked for the job interview letter. Now explain how on earth am I supposed to prove that I have ties with my country if the he didn't ask me for any of this?!
Should I have "throw" at him all this information before he could assume I wanted to stay in the US?
Edited by Spruu

Timeline

None of what you listed showed why you must return to Portugal, some of it has the opposite effect.

The one thing I thought that would help is having a job with a start date, I did mention it, did you do that?

It sounds like the idea is for your BF to move to Portugal, did you include anything to support that?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

None of what you listed showed why you must return to Portugal, some of it has the opposite effect.

The one thing I thought that would help is having a job with a start date, I did mention it, did you do that?

It sounds like the idea is for your BF to move to Portugal, did you include anything to support that?

All the documentation I listed was the documentation required once I scheduled the interview. They asked for all that documentation in the application itself. I don't understand how what I listed shows the opposite effect when I do have ties with my country.

I handed them the Interview letter for the job offer I have with specific date on it, April 28th at 10am.

About my boyfriend moving to Portugal, I did not include anything of that. First because he wouldn't be able to find a job in my country due to all the financial situation that is going on here, only with connections you get a job in Portugal right now; Second because he doesn't know Portuguese and third, because he still has a job where he lives and in June he's traveling to Thailand for two months.

How can you have an interview months away? Isn't the point of jobs to fill an emergent need for work? And having an interview doesn't mean you will get the job...

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

How can you have an interview months away? Isn't the point of jobs to fill an emergent need for work? And having an interview doesn't mean you will get the job...

I had a Trip scheduled to visit my boyfriend and his family and this interview was scheduled for me to attend once I return to Portugal.

Timeline

You want to visit your boyfriend for 3 months but you have no plans it seems to take the relationship further. It could be me, but it does look odd.

All the information about your Boyfriend is irrelevant to showing why you would return. It suggests the opposite.

A job interview is meaningless which is why I say you should move it up and get a Job with a start date. You could then have showed your Contract of employment,

Timeline

You want to visit your boyfriend for 3 months but you have no plans it seems to take the relationship further. It could be me, but it does look odd.

All the information about your Boyfriend is irrelevant to showing why you would return. It suggests the opposite.

A job interview is meaningless which is why I say you should move it up and get a Job with a start date. You could then have showed your Contract of employment,

I fully understand your point however the trip wouldn't be for three months anymore considering that my job interview is scheduled for April.

His information was simply to show he's willing to finance my trip from X to Y month (it's explicit in his invitation letter the timestamp).

Both me and my boyfriend talked about marriage a few times but it's a subject that still makes us feel somewhat uncomfortable, most likely because we feel we're not ready for such step in our lives yet. However we do know we want to be with each other. Till the right moment comes we would like to continue visiting each other, reason why I applied for the B-2 visa. In the meantime I will be working to both help my parents and put money a side to a future trip.

Is this still odd?

(please don't take this as arrogance, I'm simply sad that all these complications are making it impossible for me to be with my boyfriend for a while)

Timeline

I guess it does not really matter any longer. What is done is done.

At least he can visit you, and you could visit him in Thailand.

Filed: Timeline

As you discovered, events in the future (such as a job interview, which has no guarantee of success) are meaningless...your BF's inability or difficulty working in Portugal does not underscore any reasons why you would return to same...frequently when citizens of VWP countries apply for B2s, they undergo a lot more scrutiny...for several reasons...first, why can't you (or anyone else from a VWP country) just visit for <90 days? Trying to come up with 'valid' reasons why one 'has to' or 'needs to' visit more than that period of time start to sound pretty iffy....especially if one is of working age (retired folks are in a different demographic)...second, AOS is much easier (sadly) from a B2 visa than the VWP, which is a negative, not a positive for a VWP citizen...third, a B2 can be extended to even more than six months....whereas the VWP cannot be extended....fourth..one can do a COS to F1, for example, from a B2, but not from a VWP trip....when you add it up, there are a lot more reasons to be skeptical of a VWP applicant seeking a tourist visa than one from a non VWP country...as you found out...and all those other papers do not prove nor guarantee that you will, in fact, return...papers cannot prove anything along those lines...whatever else was said or answered by you determined the outcome...(and never, I mean never, try to shove a pile of papers at a CO....they will wind up set aside (at best) and give the appearance of desperation....your credibility (any applicant's credibility) cannot be enhanced by a pile of papers....if a CO wants to see a piece of paper for some reason, they will ask for it...otherwise, hang on to them.

Timeline

frequently when citizens of VWP countries apply for B2s, they undergo a lot more scrutiny...for several reasons...first, why can't you (or anyone else from a VWP country) just visit for <90 days?

I explained a few posts earlier why I applyed for the B2 visa.

I had a trip scheduled for the 22nd of January and I was denied boarding in Frankfurt, reason why I still don't know. A few minutes after such denial I got an e-mail with a Status Update on my ESTA. To this I filled a DHS-TRIP to know the reason of such denial.

My trip was scheduled for me to celebrate both my birthday and my boyfriend's birthday where he lives, since last year we both celebrated our birthdays where I live. This trip was shortened from three months to 2 months if that still matters. But I guess it doesn't.

Filed: Timeline

The scrutiny that a VWP citizen gets is fairly constant...having been denied boarding, it makes your b2 request appear weaker, not stronger..in addition, there was likely an I 275 produced and sent to our embassy that may contain other info or details that weakened your b2 application even further.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.