Tango777

Buy air ticket before the interview?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My fiancee's appointment is Jan. 9, a Thursday. I want to buy a ticket for Jan. 17 or 18, Fri or Sat. So that would leave a full 7 days to receive the visa. Yes I'm optimistic. This is the Bangkok Consulate. basically if I can't get her that weekend at the LA airport, we'll have to wait until the next weekend because of my work. I knows it's a bit of a risk. I may buy an unrestricted ticket, at this point increasing the one way fare from about $ 960 to about $ 1260. Still looking for a lower price, I think I can get Korean for $ 860 but the $ 960 is Thai Air so it might be worth the extra $ 100. Just wondering what VJ'ers experience is on how long it takes to show up in the mail and any chance it can get picked up in person at the Consulate in Bangkok? Thanks very on the forum!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Unless the ticket is refundable, I would not purchase it until the visa approval happens and is in her hand.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Never make plans until the visa is in your hands. Almost every month someone comes on here because they bought plane tickets, planned a wedding, quit a job, ended the lease, prior to the visa being in their hands and guess what? They didn't get the visa when they expected.

U never know what may happen there's a possibility consulate may arrange the administrative process, or if you're really in rush to spend money and "catch" ticket, you always can cancel in 24h before flight and it charges 100$ in some companies

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I agree with all the above,I have known many people on VJ who booked a plane ticket and didn't get the visa when they expected to,I didn't get my visa until 1 month and a half after my interview,they tell you it should be with you in 3/4 working days but very often it takes A LOT longer,if you book the ticket it is at your own risk,the chances are she may not get the visa by the date she is due to fly and then you lose out on the flight.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I strongly suggest you DO NOT make any plans until the visa is in hands. That means even if there is a approval (which we all hope) on the day of the interview, still do not make plans until she has the visa

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks everyone. So I found out, at least on Thai Air, it's only 2000 baht ($ 65) to change the dates. The risk would be then an increased fare but I'd probably be paying that anyway. On the other hand, we must have had one of the longest delays ever, 388 days from I-129 to interview, so maybe our luck will get better. Regardless we're so happy it's actually going to happen. The long delays can cause some stress so for those of you going through the process, hang in there.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

FWIW, I took my chances. We got the interview very quickly and I wanted be there for the interview even though I could not go inside. The interview was originally scheduled for 8/27 and they called the week before saying they needed to move it to 8/28 because of a meeting. We had originally planned on flying home on 9/1 but changed it to 9/2 at a cost of $100.00 for EVA. The visa arrived on 8/31 via EMS as promised and we flew home together. Good luck.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks everyone. So I found out, at least on Thai Air, it's only 2000 baht ($ 65) to change the dates. The risk would be then an increased fare but I'd probably be paying that anyway. On the other hand, we must have had one of the longest delays ever, 388 days from I-129 to interview, so maybe our luck will get better. Regardless we're so happy it's actually going to happen. The long delays can cause some stress so for those of you going through the process, hang in there.

We made reservations at a travel agent in BKK with a flexible departure date that I simply confirmed with the airline the day before I needed the flight which was Thai Air.

Luck? My case took 408 days. I picked up my passport with visa 3 days after the interview just as they said; left that night for LAX.

Not yet.. Worst thing is ,even if the visa is in hand, you'll see errors and misspelled entries in your passport that needs to be returned to embassy for corrections, this is rare though , but it happens. You can't be sure unless you have it in hand.

"All my life, without a doubt i give you, all my life, now and forever till the day i die, you and i will share" By: America
                                                               == I am the beneficiary==
AOS - K1 & K2
03-04-2014 ( Day 01) - Mailed
03-06-2014 ( Day 02) - Received
03-17-2014 ( Day 13) - Text and E-mail Notification at 12:50 am
03-21-2014 ( Day 17) - Received I-797C NOA (AOS, AP & EAD) hard copies - 6 mails
03-24-2014 ( Day 20) - Received I-797C NOA (ASC Appointment Notice/ Biometrics schedule) - 2 mails
04-09-2014 ( Day 36) - Biometrics Schedule @ 10&11am
05-30-2014 ( Day 87) - Received EAD combo card (K2 only)
06-09-2014 ( Day 97) - I 485 ( both k1 & k2 ) - Card / Document Production (no interview)
06-12-2014 ( Day 100)- I 485 ( both k1 & k2 ) - Mailed the new card
06-14-2014 ( Day 102)- GC ( both K1 & k2) - Received

Done.

ROC - K1 & K2

03-17-2016 ( Day 01) - Mailed

03-22-2016 ( Day 05) - NOA1

04-19-2016 ( Day 27) - Biometrics Appt. ( only K1 admitted, no K2 Bio Appt. letter received)

03-13-2017 ( Day 328) - Received Biometrics Appt. letter for K2 ( yes, almost a year of waiting!) Scheduled for March 22, 2017

03-22-2017 ( Day 337) - Biometrics Appt. (K2)

04-19-2017 ( Day 364)- USCIS status changed from "Case Was Received" to "Name Updated" (Only the K1 case)

04-26-2017 ( Day 371)-  USCIS status changed from " Name Updated" to "New Card Is Being Produced" ( both K1 and K2 app)

05-01-2017 ( Day 376)-   USCIS status changed from "New Card Is Being Produced" to "Card Was Mailed To Me" ( K2 case)

05-02-2017 ( Day 377)-   USCIS status changed from "New Card Is Being Produced" to "Card Was Mailed To Me" ( K1 case)

05-04-2017 ( Day 379)-  Received GC in the mail ( K2)

05-05-2017 ( Day 380)-  Received GC in the mail ( K1)

Done.

Naturalization

03-10-2017 ( Day 01) - Mailed

03-21-2017 ( Day 11) - Received Text and Email Notification

03-25-2017 ( Day 15) - Received NOA hardcopy

03-27-2017 ( Day 17) - USCIS website status changed " Fingerprint Appointment Was Scheduled"

04-12-2017 ( Day 33) - Biometrics/ Fingerprints & stamped passports for another 1 yr extension.

05-15-2017 ( Day 66) - "In Line for Interview" updated website status

05-17-2017 ( Day 68) - " Interview Was Scheduled" updated website status

05-25-2017 ( Day 76) - Received  the interview letter

06-26-2017 ( Day 108) - Interview Schedule

08-03-2017 ( Day 147)- Received notification online "Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Even if the ticket is refundable, I advise do not purchase yet. You might should wait until your agenda is free and then proceed with the trip! Good luck.

75d3fe5d-a5ae-444e-9bfd-153e5d79ff5a_zps

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You gambled and won. Good for you! The advice to never buy tickets in advance is really only for the non gambling types. If you are willing to gamble the cost of the ticket, bearing in mind that you may lose it if something goes wrong, then go for it. But remember that you are gambling.

We have been waiting 45 days, since our interview... So take this advise, make no arrangement's until you have the visa in hand. You never know what may happen. But dont lose hope, just careful in your steps.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.