kitthekat

Vaccinations in Singapore

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

I called Drs Horne & Chin, the designated clinic for the medical in Singapore, and was told the examination + vaccinations would be ~S$400. Without vaccinations it would be S$150 (+GST).

Here are some places you can get vaccinations done cheaper (cost is listed for Singaporean citizens, prices may be higher for PRs/non-citizens).

1. Tan Tock Seng Hospital Travellers Health and Vaccination Clinic (as suggested in this thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/383344-singapore-packet-3/) - prices updated

MMR - $29

Boostrix - $30

Flu - $24

Varicella immunity test - $40

Varicella vaccine - $63 per dose

Nurse consultation fee - $15

For non-Singaporeans - additional 15% on top of total bill

Walk-in clinic opening hours: Mon-Fri 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday 8 a.m. to 12 noon

Phone: 6357 2222

2. Singapore General Hospital Travel Clinic

MMR - $38.41

Boostrix - $36.17

Influenza - $41.41

Varicella immunity test - unknown (can only be done on Tuesdays)

Varicella vaccine - $58.85

Nurse consultation fee - $25

I called twice and the first time, was told that they were unable to prescribe the MMR vaccine without a blood test ($90ish) being done first to determine whether the patient still has immunity to MMR and only requires a booster or both jabs. The next time I called they said it would be enough to bring in my previous vaccination records/medical booklet.

Walk-in clinic opening hours: Monday-Friday, 8.30 to 5 p.m. Nurse mentioned the best time to come in is 9 a.m. before doctors see regular patients with appointments

Phone: 6326 6723

Website: http://www.sgh.com.sg/Clinical-Departments-Centers/travelclinic/Pages/TravelClinic.aspx

3. Singhealth Polyclinics

MMR - $15.35

Boostrix - Not available in Singhealth Polyclinics

Varicella immunity test - $42 (doctor's consultation required)

Varicella vaccine - $72

Flu - $23.60

Consultation fee - $6 (Nurse), $10.50 (Doctor)

Opening hours: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., 2 p.m. to 4.30 p.m. (walk-in or by appointment), Saturdays 8 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. (by appointment only)

4. National Healthcare Group Polyclinics (Vaccination Clinic)

Still waiting to hear back from NHGP.

Locations: Ang Mo Kio, Bukit Batok, Choa Chu Kang, Clementi, Hougang, Jurong, Toa Payoh, Woodlands, Yishun

Website: http://www.nhgp.com.sg/Our_Services/Other_Services/Vaccination_Clinic/

Edited by kitthekat

Flying to Seattle on 6 May 2014!

Timeline

For Singaporeans: I would like to add that even if you do not know where your health booklet is from the 1990s, you should definitely contact the National Immunization Registry for a certified copy of your vaccinations. It is issued free of charge and you could save yourself at least a hundred dollars at Horne & Chin. All you need to do is scan front and back copies of your Identity Card and email them to hpb_nir@hpb.gov.sg. Also include the reason for needing your vaccination records. It takes about a week to process, but it's well worth the wait! Most of us would already have had the two doses of MMR which is lifelong, so you should at least not have to pay for those.

Timeline

Hi hobbit! Were you able to get out of getting the MMR booster at the clinic? I asked them over the phone if I still needed MMR since I had the shots as a kid but they said so long as I haven't had a booster "recently" (they weren't able to expand on what exactly constitutes 'recent'), I would have to get it anyway. :\

Timeline

I haven't had my medical yet, but I have spoken to one doctor from Horne & Chin over the phone and she concurred that two doses of MMR is lifelong BUT you need the records to show it. If you're asking about booster shots, the most relevant one would be for tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis (Boostrix), because that only lasts for ten years, and the last time you got it was likely in Primary Six or so.

I had my Boostrix shot at TTSH, and it was the nurse there who directed me to the NIR. She can print out a copy of the vaccines you've had from the system but it is not official. Just a side note: If you get your vaccinations at TTSH, it also gets recorded in the WHO international certificate of vaccination or prophylaxis booklet which you get to keep. Super cool!

Timeline

Ah, I see, that's really useful, thanks! Unfortunately I've only had one MMR shot as a kid, guess I will have to get a booster. My last Tdap was in 2005 though, so if it's good for 10 years, hopefully I'll get to avoid that. :) I'm all for avoiding sharp needles, heh.

Timeline

Are you sure you only had one MMR dose? It's compulsory by law and I'm sure our local schools wouldn't let us fudge it! When I received my vaccinations records earlier today, I was surprised that there were more vaccinations done than I could remember. Write in to the NIR folks anyway, and then you can compare their records with your health booklet or whatever, and check out which is more complete.

Timeline

Yep, I didn't go to school here unfortunately. Well at least MMR is only $15+ at the Poly. That's much better than 50+ at H&C. Let me know how your medical goes! :)

I had 1 MMR in 1990 and 1 in 2001, but H&C still made me take a MMR vaccination anyway (the nurse at TTSH said I was fine)

=( Might want to just cover MMR at one of the cheaper locations just in case..

ETA: oh hey we're all from neighbouring states!! =p

Edited by dwinge
I-129F Sent : 2012-11-02
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-12-06
I-129F RFE(s) : 2013-5-30
RFE Reply(s) : 2013-6-10
I-129F NOA2 : 2013-6-17
NVC Received : 2013-06-28
NVC Left : 2013-07-02
Consulate Received : 2013-07-08
Packet 3 Received : 2013-07-10
Packet 3 Sent : 2013-07-25
Packet 4 Received : 2013-08-24
Interview Date : 2013-09-13
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2013-09-23
US Entry : 2013-10-25

Marriage : 2013-11-16

Filed AOS
CIS Office : Santa Ana CA
Date Filed : 2013-12-05
NOA Date : 2013-12-12

Biometrics: 2013-12-26

Interview Date: 2014-04-07

EAD Approval: 2014-02-15

EAD Received: 2014-02-26

AP Approved: 2014-02-18

AP Received: 2014-02-26

I-751 Sent: 2016-01-09

I-751 NOA1: 2016-01-11

I-751 Biometrics: 2016-02-29

Timeline

Really, dwinge? They're such money-suckers >:[

Here's what NHGP came back with:

MMR - $30

Boostrix - Not available in NHG Polyclinics (looks like the best place to go is TTSH for Boostrix)

Varicella immunity test - unknown (doctor's consultation required)

Varicella vaccine - $72

Flu - $25

Consultation fee - $10.70 (doctor)

Timeline

Hello again everyone!

I have just completed my medical earlier. My appointment was for 9.30am, but I arrived a little later and still finished at just about noon time. It goes like this:

(a) After registration and waiting for about half an hour, you get called to the “Laboratory” where your height and weight measurements are taken, and you're tested for colour-blindness. You also have to sit through some eye tests which I won't elaborate on here.

(b) The nurse starts asking if you've done your flu vaccine, contracted chickenpox etc. This is the part where you pull out your vaccination records, which she will need for photocopying.

(c ) You're given an empty, plastic cup to collect a urine sample for them. There is a restroom within the laboratory facility which you will be directed to.

(d) When you're done, you place the cup on a designated tray. Be careful not to spill it!

(e) Now it's time to draw blood...literally. I asked the gentleman wielding the syringe, what they were testing for, and he said, “Ahh..just VD only, syphilis.” Weirdly enough, the form (carbon copy) had “HIV” written on it instead. I alerted him to that, and he promptly crossed it out before jotting down “VDRL”.

(f ) You're given a sticker which has your waiting room number, and you're led outside to sit and wait for another half an hour. Your original vaccine records are handed back to you.

(g) Your number is called! You head into the room where the doctor greets you and proceeds to verbally go through a checklist of amusing questions, such as, “Have you ever caused serious injury to anyone?” She checks your ears and throat.

(h) The doctor then locks the door and asks you to unhook your bra under your top for a breast examination (obviously, this only applies to the ladies!). Then she listens to your chest with a stethoscope. Next, she starts tapping all over your abdomen. Once that's over, she'll step away so you can take off your underwear for the genitalia examination. Contrary to popular belief, it isn't to check if you're really a girl. It's to find out if you have any visible sexually-transmitted diseases. So this applies to both men and women.

(i) You're given some forms to pass to the reception staff. You sit down, and then a copy of the DS- 3025 is given to you for reference.

(j) Now it's payment time...the cashier said it would cost me $214.00. I asked, “Is that the minimum?” His reply: “You no injections. With injections, 400 plus. You saved a lot of money.” Woohoo!

(k) It's still not over..yet. You have to head down to Asia Medic where the X-Ray is completed. You hand in your passport again and wait for about twenty minutes to be called. They hand it back, more waiting, and finally you're ushered into the X-Ray room after changing, get X-rayed, change into your own clothes and you're done!

My itemized bill shows the breakdown of charges as:

Chest X-Ray $35.00

Immigration to the United States $150.00

Laboratory $15.00

Sub-Total $200.00

Add GST 7% 14.00

Total amount payable $214.00

Edited by hobbit

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Please tell me you had a nice bowl of curry laksa after getting the shots? ;)

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

In reference to my earlier post on not needing the MMR done (if you've already had the two routine shots while in primary school), I have clarified with the doctor at H&C that another MMR is indeed required. The two shots are basically for immunity in childhood, but immunity declines as you progress into adulthood, which explains the extra shot. Of course, she concedes as well, that you wouldn't need to be getting any if not for the visa application!

She marked "Completed Series" for the MMR column in my DS-3025, so you do not need to get another dose on top of the MMR update. If anyone has any questions about updating your vaccinations, let me know!

Glad to hear that your medical went well!!

(e) Now it's time to draw blood...literally. I asked the gentleman wielding the syringe, what they were testing for, and he said, “Ahh..just VD only, syphilis.” Weirdly enough, the form (carbon copy) had “HIV” written on it instead. I alerted him to that, and he promptly crossed it out before jotting down “VDRL”.

.... *facepalm* I did not check what my form said =\ Had my attention uneasily affixed on the syringe he was drawing my blood out with (in the other hospitals/polyclinics, they use a needle-tipped cylinder that you can fit the blood sample tubes into, instead of manually drawing blood out =(

I-129F Sent : 2012-11-02
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-12-06
I-129F RFE(s) : 2013-5-30
RFE Reply(s) : 2013-6-10
I-129F NOA2 : 2013-6-17
NVC Received : 2013-06-28
NVC Left : 2013-07-02
Consulate Received : 2013-07-08
Packet 3 Received : 2013-07-10
Packet 3 Sent : 2013-07-25
Packet 4 Received : 2013-08-24
Interview Date : 2013-09-13
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2013-09-23
US Entry : 2013-10-25

Marriage : 2013-11-16

Filed AOS
CIS Office : Santa Ana CA
Date Filed : 2013-12-05
NOA Date : 2013-12-12

Biometrics: 2013-12-26

Interview Date: 2014-04-07

EAD Approval: 2014-02-15

EAD Received: 2014-02-26

AP Approved: 2014-02-18

AP Received: 2014-02-26

I-751 Sent: 2016-01-09

I-751 NOA1: 2016-01-11

I-751 Biometrics: 2016-02-29

Timeline

Thank you for this detailed info re medical exam/vaccination...

Edited by MaeLey

31/05/2013 : sent i-129f packet

07/06/2013 : noa1 email notification

10/06/2013 : received hard copy of noa1

19/08/2013 : petition approved

23/08/2013 : received hard copy of noa2

02/10/2013 : nvc case number

07/10/2013 : left nvc

10/10/2013 : received by consulate

21/10/2013 : petitioner received notice from nvc, beneficiary to fill up ds160

22/10/2013 : received packet 3

29/10/2013 : sent packet 3

18/11/2013 : received packet 4

04/12/2013 : interview - approved!

11/12/2013 : visa received

02/11/2014 : POE Chicago

• 5 months later...

Hi guys!

Wondering if anyone still reads this thread :)

I just went for my vaccinations at TTSH and they said I did not need another MMR injection on top of the two that I got in Primary school.

But I read in past posts that H&C will require a third MMR shot? If so, should I just get an MMR injection at TTSH?

Else I'll have to pay for it at H&C?

Thoughts?

I-129F NOA1 : 2013-10-21

I-129F NOA2! : 2013-11-25

Received Packet 3: 2014-03-20

Received Packet 4: 2014-04-03

Done with medical appointment: 2014-04-10

Interview Date: 2014-04-22 (APPROVED)

Received Visa: 2014-04-25 (Overjoyed!)

CEAC Case Creation Date: 2014-02-27

Status Updated: 2014-03-04 (Ready)

Status Updated: 2014-03-25 (Ready)

Status Updated: 2014-04-01 (Ready)

Status Updated: 2014-04-22 (Ready)

Status Updated: 2014-04-23 (Administrative Processing)

Status updated: 2014-04-24 (ISSUED)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.