LauraDP

Short-term health insurance for USC returning to US from UK?

9 posts in this topic

Hi VJers

First off, I apologise if I am posting this in the wrong section of the forum. I mostly hang out on the DCF section so am a bit clueless with what should go elsewhere on the site. Feel free to move the post if I got it wrong.

My husband (the USC) is returning to the US on 16 September but his work health insurance will not click in until 1 October (as it begins with a new month). By the time the kids and I are in a position to join him, we too will be covered by his work insurance so that is not an issue for us as a family. However, is there a short term health insurance policy he can obtain from the UK that will be available for him in the US when he arrives but which does not require him to have a permanent US address at the point of taking the insurance out (as he is going into temporary accommodation until he can find us a place to rent). Googling has only helped him find short term insurance policies for people who are already resident in the US and who have, therefore, a fixed address.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. We appreciate any help given.

Best wishes

Laura

Married a US/UK dual national in 1996 and had four children together.
Immigration Timeline: I130 Approval November 2012; Interview July 2013; Immigration October 2013. (Note, however, that we chose to stall the process for personal scheduling reasons)
As a family of six, we relocated from Argyll in Scotland to Pennsylvania in October 2013. 

I applied for Citizenship in October 2017 and am currently waiting for an Interview date.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

USe the address he will be at or family address in US.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

USe the address he will be at or family address in US.

That's the problem though, Boiler. He does not have a permanent address. He is basically going to be staying in a long-stay motel room for a few weeks before he finds a place for us to rent. Do you know of a company that would accept a temporary address for insurance purposes? We could use a family member or friend's address but my husband will not be living even in the same state as any of those people let alone at the same address. Would that fly with an insurance company?

Thanks for your reply.

Laura

Immigration Timeline: I130 Approval November 2012; Interview July 2013; Immigration October 2013. (Note, however, that we chose to stall the process for personal scheduling reasons)
As a family of six, we relocated from Argyll in Scotland to Pennsylvania in October 2013. 

I applied for Citizenship in October 2017 and am currently waiting for an Interview date.

Timeline

What is he doing about his mail, use that address.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

What is he doing about his mail, use that address.

His mail goes to our friend's address (the one who co-sponsored me) but he is in a different state. Do you think that would be OK for short term insurance then? I just know how nit-picky insurance companies are here so I want to be sure we don't make any insurance void by not doing everything tickety-boo.

Thanks for the reply.

Laura

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Is he not prepared to risk it for 14 days?

I'm not sure I'd bother for that short a time.

Edited by English Muffin

Timeline

I wouldn't either.

How about his work address?

No, he won't risk it. I was once hospitalised in the US just for a night but we were very relieved we had taken out good travel insurance to pay the bill because it was so expensive. It is not worth the financial risk to go without insurance because of murphy's law.

I am pretty sure the address has to be a domestic one. It's all such a bureaucratic pain in the rump. I wonder if he can just talk to them again and convince them to let him use the address of the temporary accommodation (which is a long-stay motel room) since I cannot see another way around it.

Thanks for your replies.

Laura

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Just for future reference for other VJers in similar circumstances, my husband found a company called MPI who were happy to insure him on a travel insurance type basis for the couple of weeks that he is not going to be covered by employment insurance. They were happy to use our UK address (which is now my in-laws' address) even though he will be resident in the UK. They knew all the circumstances and this was how the company themselves problem-solved it. Hopefully he won't need it, of course.

Best wishes

Laura

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.