saqib ali

Citizenship through Father

25 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello frds my father is us citizen and am under 18 so what will be the requirements for citizenship and how long does it take..........

How and when did your father get his citizenship ? Where are you living now ? Where's your father living now ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Moving from Bringing Family to CRBA forum ****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hello frds my father is us citizen and am under 18 so what will be the requirements for citizenship and how long does it take..........

If your father was not a US citizen when your were born, then you would need to meet the 4 requirements of the Child Citizenship Act to obtain US citizenship through your US Citizen father;

1. Be under 18; and

2. Have a US Citizen parent; and

3. Live with that US Citizen parent; and

4 Be an Legal Permanent Resident (green card holder)

You meet requirements 1 and 2. Do you meet requirements 3 and 4?

------------

Just checked my other posts to you.

Your problem is requirement 4. You need a green card to get US citizenship. To get the green card, your father must be domiciled in the US to file the I-864.

YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THAT YOU CAN ONLY COME TO THE US IF YOUR FATHER IS WILLING TO ESTABLISH A DOMICILE IN THE US. IF HE REFUSES TO RETURN TO THE US, THEN YOU CAN NOT GET TO THE US THROUGH HIM.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Timeline

If your father was not a US citizen when your were born, then you would need to meet the 4 requirements of the Child Citizenship Act to obtain US citizenship through your US Citizen father;

1. Be under 18; and

------------

Your problem is requirement 4. You need a green card to get US citizenship. To get the green card, your father must be domiciled in the US to file the I-864.

YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THAT YOU CAN ONLY COME TO THE US IF YOUR FATHER IS WILLING TO ESTABLISH A DOMICILE IN THE US. IF HE REFUSES TO RETURN TO THE US, THEN YOU CAN NOT GET TO THE US THROUGH HIM.

1. Be under 18; and

------------

brother me and my father has decided to go to US together so i want to know if i get permanent residence and i file N-600 for citizenship so how long it will take and what if i file N-600 and i turn 18 during the process...???? in 4 months i will be 18...???

Timeline

brother me and my father has decided to go to US together so i want to know if i get permanent residence and i file N-600 for citizenship so how long it will take and what if i file N-600 and i turn 18 during the process...???? in 4 months i will be 18...???

You will not be getting US citizenship through your father.

You need a US immigration visa. This will take 6-12 months. You will not be entering the US before age 18.

Your father can still file the I-130 for you. Read the instructions for the I-864 very carefully. You father will need a Joint Sponsor. Because you will not be a US citizen when you enter the US, your father will need to file the I-864.

Since you will be 18 by the time you immigrate, your father must file the I-864 and you will not qualify for US citizenship through him.

After you have a green card for 5 years, you can apply for US citizenship.

Timeline

where should i file the petition at US embassy Islamabad coz am in pakistan or i should mail it to chicago lock box

Your father must send the petition to the Chicago Lock Box. There is no Direct Consular Filngs (DCF) in Pakistan.

Edited by aaron2020

You will not be getting US citizenship through your father.

You need a US immigration visa. This will take 6-12 months. You will not be entering the US before age 18.

Your father can still file the I-130 for you. Read the instructions for the I-864 very carefully. You father will need a Joint Sponsor. Because you will not be a US citizen when you enter the US, your father will need to file the I-864.

Since you will be 18 by the time you immigrate, your father must file the I-864 and you will not qualify for US citizenship through him.

After you have a green card for 5 years, you can apply for US citizenship.

bro is it important that i should have green card. i mean can i go there with any other visa and then can i apply for citizenship

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You have to have a visa that allows you to LIVE in the US. If you can do that in less than 4 months you could be under 18 , but it may be impossible

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

bro is it important that i should have green card. i mean can i go there with any other visa and then can i apply for citizenship

No, if you don't have the right immigrant visa you will not be able to get citizenship at all through your father.

You need an immigrant visa, then the instant you land in the US you will also become a USC. That won't happen on any other type of visa, and you cannot apply for anything.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

YOU NEED AN IMMIGRANT VISA. YOU NEED A GREEN CARD. YOU NEED THE GREEN CARD TO GET US CITIZENSHIP.

YOU CANNOT USE ANY OTHER VISAS TO IMMIGRATE TO THE US.

AT THIS POINT, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR YOU TO GET AN IMMIGRATION VISA BEFORE YOUR 18th BIRTHDAY.

YOU CAN IMMIGRATE TO THE US THROUGH YOUR FATHER, BUT YOU CANNOT GAIN US CITIZENSHIP THROUGH HIM BECAUSE IT WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE FOR YOU TO GET A GREEN CARD IN 4 MONTHS.

YOU DON'T SEEM TO GET THIS. I HAVE TOLD YOU MULTIPLE TIMES IN DIFFERENT THREADS WHAT YOU MUST DO AND YOU IGNORE ME.

1. Father needs a US domicile.

2. You need an immigrant visa in order to get a green card.

3. NO WAY CAN YOU GET US CITIZENSHIP THROUGH YOUR FATHER BECAUSE YOU CANNOT GET A GREEN CARD IN 4 MONTHS. NO ONE CAN GET A GREEN CARD IN 4 MONTHS.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.