Peikko

San Diego mayor Bob Filner to resign over sex harassment claims – reports

22 posts in this topic

Bob Filner has vacated his city hall office and reportedly agreed to resign as mayor of San Diego as part of a mediation deal in a sexual harassment lawsuit.

The mayor's exit is expected to be confirmed by the city council on Friday following days of mediation talks and weeks of allegations from at least 17 women who accused Filner of making unwanted sexual advances.

He agreed to quit, bid farewell to staff and loaded boxes into an SUV outside city hall on Wednesday night, several media outlets reported. But the lawyer for one of Filner's accusers said on Thursday the deal does not resolve her lawsuit, potentially creating an impasse ahead of the city council vote.

Filner's departure would pre-empt a recall effort and end a political saga which destroyed the outspoken Democrat's support and made headlines across the US.

The city's attorney, Jan Goldsmith, announced a deal on Wednesday after three days of talks between Filner, his three attorneys, Goldsmith and two council members. A former federal judge, J Lawrence Irving, mediated.

Goldsmith told reporters details of the agreement would not be revealed publicly until the council debated it in a closed session on Friday. All nine members have said Filner, 70, must go. The Democratic national committee had scheduled a vote demanding Filner quit for this Friday.

Isolated and besieged, there was little doubt the former congressman would go. The issue was whether the city would help pay his legal fees and potential damages in the sexual harassment lawsuit filed by his former director of communications, Irene McCormack Jackson.

She was the first to go public last month, alleging Filner asked her to work without underwear, demanded kisses and whispered in her ear while dragging her in a headlock.

"He is not fit to be the mayor of our great city," McCormack said. "He is not fit to hold any public office."

At least 16 other women swiftly followed, including city officials, a university dean and army and navy veterans. Allegations ranged from inappropriate language to groping, manhandling and bullying.

McCormack's attorney, Gloria Allred, held a press conference in Los Angeles on Thursday during which she said the deal doesn't resolve her lawsuit. Allred said she never signed off on a settlement and doesn't know any details. She wants Filner to resign but doesn't believe he should have legal bills covered by the city and urged the council to reject the proposal if it includes that provision.

"There should be no payoff for Mayor Filner," she said.

The latest allegation came earlier this week from Dianne York, who said Filner placed his hand on her bum while she posed for a photo with him after a meeting at his office about three months ago. She said she reported it to the San Diego County sheriff's department.

As the accusations mounted Filner admitted disrespecting and at times intimidating women and took two weeks off for therapy. "Words alone are not enough," he said. "I must take responsibility for my conduct by taking action so that such conduct does not ever happen again."

It was too little, too late, however, to stem a grassroots revolt.

Elected last November to a four-year term, the city's first Democratic mayor in two decades had made enemies, and energised supporters, with a combative, bruising style.

Should Filner resign, city council president Todd Gloria will become acting mayor until a special election is held. Filner would become the fourth of San Diego's past seven mayors to resign – all for different reasons.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/22/san-diego-mayor-bob-filner-resign-reports

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Seriously, you have nothing better to do than change topic titles?

For those that care about such things, the title I put up was

Finally Filner falls on his sword!

I know, super controversial and had to be changed, IMMEDIATELY!!!!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Will the soon-to-be ex-mayor be allowed to leave the USA? If yes, he should beat feet to Thailand for a nice tourist junket.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Seriously, you have nothing better to do than change topic titles?

For those that care about such things, the title I put up was

Finally Filner falls on his sword!

I know, super controversial and had to be changed, IMMEDIATELY!!!!

You are the spiritual leader for following the TOS, or have you forgotten.

Speaking of swords does the phrase live by and die by ring a bell

I follow the TOS religiously now or as much as I understand them.

maybe you should also

He's only sore because I questioned the ubiquitous use of his favourite word. He may get over it eventually.

Edited by The Truth™

Filed: Timeline

Last thing we San Diegans wanted was to look as bad as Detroit.

Thread is now officially hijacked,

50,000 abandoned dogs roaming streets of Detroit in packs

Packs of wild, abandoned dogs are roaming the streets of Detroit, leaving city officials overwhelmed at the prospect of handing an issue that raises both animal rights and safety concerns.

“It was almost post-apocalyptic, where there are no businesses, nothing except people in houses and dogs running around,” the Humane Society of the United States director Amanda Arrington told Bloomberg News about a recent visit to Detroit. “The suffering of animals goes hand in hand with the suffering of people.”

Bloomberg reports that packs of the dogs have been spotted in groups as large as 20. In one case, Detroit police officer Lapez Moore said the city’s animal-control unit recently found several of the dogs inside a flooded basement where thieves had torn out the building’s water pipes.

“The dogs were having a pool party,” Moore said. “We went in and fished them out.”

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/50-000-abandoned-dogs-roaming-streets-of-detroit-in-packs-leaving-city-officials-overwhelmed-220610479.html

Back to topic....

Thank god. Last thing we San Diegans wanted was to look as bad as Detroit.

It's amazing, really, how long this fella got to stick around once these issues started surfacing. You're apparently closer to the story so I gotta ask: Did this mayor really believe he can survive this?

Thread is now officially hijacked,

:lol:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

detroit? feral pack dogs? bow-hunting....

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

It's amazing, really, how long this fella got to stick around once these issues started surfacing. You're apparently closer to the story so I gotta ask: Did this mayor really believe he can survive this?

laughing.gif

Of course! He was jacking it in San Diego!

:lol:

Clinton probably inspired him.

Either way it was only a matter of time. If no resignation, a recall would have done him in. At least this way we can put this behind us quicker.

barata-gif-3.gif