charmingangel

Temporary Driver License in Ca

16 posts in this topic

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hello everyone! I am taking the written exams soon and hopefully I will pass. My question is, if I pass the written exams, and given the temporary driver license, can I drive alone or do I still have to tag along with me someone with a permanent driver license whenever I will drive? I have a valid driver license from my home country and been driving for more than 17 years. Kindly enlighten me with this issue. Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello everyone! I am taking the written exams soon and hopefully I will pass. My question is, if I pass the written exams, and given the temporary driver license, can I drive alone or do I still have to tag along with me someone with a permanent driver license whenever I will drive? I have a valid driver license from my home country and been driving for more than 17 years. Kindly enlighten me with this issue. Thanks.

I believe your temporary license will allow you to drive alone given your age and prior license experience. Check with the DMV when you taken your writtten test. And, your temporary license is only good for two months.

Timeline

I believe your temporary license will allow you to drive alone given your age and prior license experience. Check with the DMV when you taken your writtten test. And, your temporary license is only good for two months.

Ok. Thanks for the reply. I'll check with DMV when i take my written exams. Hoping they will allow me to drive alone even with a temporary driver license.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Yes, you can drive alone. I took my written test about 4 weeks ago in CA, flew through the test and was given a temporary license until I take my behind the wheel test. The temporary license will have the expiry date on it.

Edited by markonline1

Timeline

Yes, you can drive alone. I took my written test about 4 weeks ago in CA, flew through the test and was given a temporary license until I take my behind the wheel test. The temporary license will have the expiry date on it.

Oh thanks great! That's good news. I really need to have the temporary driver license asap since I have to do a lot of errands for my family and my parents.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

If you've never been licensed in the US you will get a learner permit and you will not be able to drive alone until you pass behind the wheel test.

AFTER you pass behind the wheel test you will receive a temporary driver license which will allow you to drive alone while you wait for you driver licence to come in the mail.

My Immigration Journey:

K1: June 2010 - December 2010

AOS: April 2011 - June 2011

ROC: April 2013 - August 2013

Naturalization: March 2014 - August 2014

Timeline

If you've never been licensed in the US you will get a learner permit and you will not be able to drive alone until you pass behind the wheel test.

AFTER you pass behind the wheel test you will receive a temporary driver license which will allow you to drive alone while you wait for you driver licence to come in the mail.

Wrong! I've never been licensed in the US, I have only passed the written test and I have a temporary license that DOES allow me to drive alone.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

Then I guess it depends on the DMV office or maybe the country where you've been licenced before.

My Immigration Journey:

K1: June 2010 - December 2010

AOS: April 2011 - June 2011

ROC: April 2013 - August 2013

Naturalization: March 2014 - August 2014

• 3 weeks later...

Did they ask for your I-94 when you took the written test?

No, I didn't have to show my I-94.

Ok, cool. Thanks. The manual from the DMV in CA said the I-94 should be valid two months before expiration when one takes the written test. That kept me from going because mine expires on Oct. 21. I guess I could could try. smile.png

Timeline

Ok, cool. Thanks. The manual from the DMV in CA said the I-94 should be valid two months before expiration when one takes the written test. That kept me from going because mine expires on Oct. 21. I guess I could could try. smile.png

If you don't have any government ID, like a green card or EAD, then they will accept your I-94 but when to pass the test, any licence you get will only be valid until your I-94 runs out, so come Oct 21, unfortunately, you'll be without a licence again.

If you don't have any government ID, like a green card or EAD, then they will accept your I-94 but when to pass the test, any licence you get will only be valid until your I-94 runs out, so come Oct 21, unfortunately, you'll be without a licence again.

Oh, okay. sad.png Thanks for the info.

• 4 months later...
Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi guys,

I came to California Monday just gone, I have a full UK driving license . I came in as a CR-1 . Today myself and my husband went to the local social security office to ask for a SSN and was told i have to wait 3 weeks from the date i arrived here , So please can you tell me what i can do about driving here, as it says i have to have a Californian License within 10 days.

Would really appreciate your help .

My passport has US visa in it and customs stamped it at the airport here in LAX.

What do i have to do next to gain a license, i asked at the SS office in regards to driving and she said i cant drive until i get a SSN , if thats the case then why does it state i have to have one within 10 days ??? very confused here

Edited by justoleme

It depends on state how it's arranged. In Massachusetts after you get your written test you have to drive with someone older then 21 and that has his or her license more the a year. I have a dutch license and can drive up to a year from my arrival. After that year i have to have a Massachusetts drivers license.

So check your local DMV to see what the rules are in your state.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.