Stacyyy

K-1 Visa Medical Exam and Past Drug Use

45 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I will be doing my medical exam in Vancouver with Dr. Cheema and I'm wondering if I will be asked if I have used drugs in the past. The answer would be yes, but it's been a while. I absolutely want to be honest answering any questions.

Does any one know if that question will be asked? If I am asked that, will an honest answer hinder my chances of obtaining a the K-1 Visa? Should I have a drug test done and bring the results with me?

Thanks! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Your timeline indicates a NOA1 So, they cashed your Check and took the money, The approval of the NOA2 is after a background check. So, you are asking a question with a question. To Answer your question: Were you ever Convicted of Drug use? If the answer is yes, then yes. If no, then No. and not bring it up. Is that a start... Please be more DIRECT with the topic.. Were you Convicted or Not... you will get better replies.. To answer your question.

Edited by Tim/Mav

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Timeline

My question has nothing to do with where I'm at in the Visa process as I am asking a question about the medical exam which I know will happen in the future. I also know when in the process this will happen.

Thanks for your input, but I think my questions were very direct and I didn't ask if they ask me if I was convicted. I asked if they ask if I have ever USED drugs in the past.

Your timeline indicates a NOA1 So, they cashed your Check and took the money, The approval of the NOA2 is after a backgound check. So, you are asking a question with a question. To Answer your question: Were you ever Convicted of Drug use? If the answer is yes, then yes. If no, then No. and not bring it up. Is that a start... Please be more DIRECT with the topic.. Were you Convicted you will get better replies.. To answer your question.

This is horrible misinformation and advice. OP please ignore.

First off, the beneficiary is the OP, as he/she is asking about his/her upcoming medical exam that will occur before the interview. The OP is not the petitioner. USCIS only does a background check on the petitioner, not the beneficiary.

Furthermore, the OP should never lie, whether it is in response to questions asked in the medical or on forms. So if they specifically want to know about past drug use, you WILL HAVE TO ANSWER TRUTHFULLY. However, you should explain the nature of the drug use and when it was and offer how long you have been clean.

As far as whether or not this affects your passing the medical, I am not certain, but my guess is that it won't as long as you come clean. But others with more knowledge on the subject can chime in on that.

barata-gif-3.gif

Timeline

Leon. you don't know the Story or this question would not be asked. You are such a Know-it-all.. If theres something there that has a worry, and it seems so, then let them tell the story and not you.

Edited by Tim/Mav

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY

10/03/14.....Biometrics

Leon. you don't know the Story or this question would not be asked. You are such a Know-it-all.. If theres something there that has a worry, and it seems so, then let them tell the story and not you.

Your advice was relevant to the OP as the petitioner, not the beneficiary. I was clearing this up. Has nothing to do with knowing his/her "story".

And I was also clarifying that she should always be truthful to questions. Do you deny this?

barata-gif-3.gif

Timeline

Also, there is No Medical or any such other Case activity until after the Approval of the NOA2.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY

10/03/14.....Biometrics

Timeline

Your advice was relevant to the OP as the petitioner, not the beneficiary. I was clearing this up. Has nothing to do with knowing his/her "story".

And I was also clarifying that she should always be truthful to questions. Do you deny this?

Again, your Know it all deligence. It applies to both the Petitioner and Beneficiary. Background checks that await Approval.

Yes, let both of them be truthful and they must. The advise is relevent to both of them.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY

10/03/14.....Biometrics

Timeline

This is horrible misinformation and advice. OP please ignore.

First off, the beneficiary is the OP, as he/she is asking about his/her upcoming medical exam that will occur before the interview. The OP is not the petitioner. USCIS only does a background check on the petitioner, not the beneficiary.

Furthermore, the OP should never lie, whether it is in response to questions asked in the medical or on forms. So if they specifically want to know about past drug use, you WILL HAVE TO ANSWER TRUTHFULLY. However, you should explain the nature of the drug use and when it was and offer how long you have been clean.

As far as whether or not this affects your passing the medical, I am not certain, but my guess is that it won't as long as you come clean. But others with more knowledge on the subject can chime in on that.

Thank you. I agree that I should answer truthfully. I appreciate your opinion in saying that it will be okay as long as I come clean. I definitely hope this is the case.

If anyone else knows more on the subject please let me know.

Timeline

I really don't see how name-calling is necessary. My story is not relevant to the questions I asked and therefore I don't feel that I need to explain myself to anyone aside from the Doctor, if asked.

I am a worrier so I will worry either way. This isn't exactly a walk in the park.

Also, there is No Medical or any such other Case activity until after the Approval of the NOA2.

I realize that the medical exam comes after the approval of the I-129F and receiving the NOA2. That being said, being prepared doesn't hurt.

Again, your Know it all deligence. It applies to both the Petitioner and Beneficiary. Background checks that await Approval.

Yes, let both of them be truthful and they must. The advise is relevent to both of them.

I don't think that a government aside from the government of the country I live in, legally has access to my criminal record. Hence why I have to bring a copy of it to the interview. Either way, this is not the question I asked.

Timeline

My question has nothing to do with where I'm at in the Visa process as I am asking a question about the medical exam which I know will happen in the future. I also know when in the process this will happen.

Thanks for your input, but I think my questions were very direct and I didn't ask if they ask me if I was convicted. I asked if they ask if I have ever USED drugs in the past.

Just tell the truth. I don't know about Canadians but almost all Americans 16 to 60 years old have done one type of drug or another.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY

10/03/14.....Biometrics

Timeline

Well good luck to you.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY

10/03/14.....Biometrics

Thank you. I agree that I should answer truthfully. I appreciate your opinion in saying that it will be okay as long as I come clean. I definitely hope this is the case.

If anyone else knows more on the subject please let me know.

That was just a guess.

However, quick research tells me that they often view past drug use as a means of denial. Also research tells me that the nature of the drug use and how recent it was plays a factor. People have made threads telling that they have had to either undergo further tests or psychological testing to clear this red flag or have flat out gotten denied or even a temporary ban. Others go clear without any issues though. It really is consulate specific and, again, specific to the nature and how long ago it was. Additional research tells me that Dr. Cheema doesn't conduct drug testing nor ask about it apparently, so you may be off the hook. But if she does, you will have to be honest.

That's the best I can come up with. But again, those with more experience with the Canadian procedure and/or drug history can chime in here.

barata-gif-3.gif

Timeline

Well good luck to you.

Thank you.

That was just a guess.

However, quick research tells me that they often view past drug use as a means of denial. Also research tells me that the nature of the drug use and how recent it was plays a factor. People have made threads telling that they have had to either undergo further tests or psychological testing to clear this red flag or have flat out gotten denied or even a temporary ban. Others go clear without any issues though. It really is consulate specific and, again, specific to the nature and how long ago it was. Additional research tells me that Dr. Cheema doesn't conduct drug testing nor ask about it apparently, so you may be off the hook. But if she does, you will have to be honest.

That's the best I can come up with. But again, those with more experience with the Canadian procedure and/or drug history can chime in here.

Thanks for looking into that for me! I wasn't able to find information on if Dr. Cheema asks about drugs or not. I guess I didn't look in the right spot.

I will certainly be honest. I'm just scared that something that I did when I was a teenager could affect the process now. I'm praying that it doesn't.

Thank you.

Thanks for looking into that for me! I wasn't able to find information on if Dr. Cheema asks about drugs or not. I guess I didn't look in the right spot.

I will certainly be honest. I'm just scared that something that I did when I was a teenager could affect the process now. I'm praying that it doesn't.

There are many threads that you will find with just the keywords "drug use" and "medical", including those started by Canadians. I suggest reading through them if nobody here ends up helping to your satisfaction.

You can also look up the timelines of the OP's that started those threads to get an idea of whether or not they experienced problems.

Edited by Leon & Mylen

barata-gif-3.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.