Bowie Kirk

which one is much faster; getting a fiance visa or a marriage visa?

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well, since you never met the beneficiary you filed for, it will be denied (check out his extreme hardship topic from May). Also, you can't file petition based on marriage since you're not married - that would require you to go to the Philippines and get married there or in some third country.

yea the latter part is kinda obvious. thanks, though not very informative.

Timeline

Can you apply for extreme hardship?

If not, then a marriage visa might be faster and cheaper (at least $1000 cheaper). Since you will have to go the Philippines to have the "meeting within 2 years proof" anyway. Might as well go the Philippines, get married, file for marriage visa (CR-1). So when you're spouse comes to the US, she'll have a green card right away. The difference between processing times is around 1-3 months I believe.

i did apply for extreme hardship actually. just 3 more weeks and we'll know whats the decision will be. and hopefully before then, we already figured out what to do next; if were going to apply for a fiance or marriage visa. im still looking for some good answers here. yours is very helpful. thanks

I certainly was not "worrying" myself about your reason. You mentioned withdrawing in your post and therefore

I simply asked for clarification to best answer your concern. The worry is all yours.

As to comparing the options, here is a "compare" link for K1 and CR1. Disregard the K3 in the link as it is obsolete.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

thanks for the link. just what i needed to know..

Timeline

After having went the K-1 route b/c lawyer advised it was faster (at the time), if I had to do it over again I would have gone the marriage route. First, you and your spouse will share the memories of this family event forever. Second, the time from date of marriage will count toward your Adjustment of Status - and you will receive your green card that much sooner.

thanks u so much :)

Timeline

thanks for the guidelines, and for that only. simple questions need only simple answer. keep the uninformative things to urself nxt time :))

i thought u gave me the link to that guidelines. i wonder what's the purpose of ur post if it didnt really answered my question.

Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/427388-can-i-reapply-soon-after-i-cancel-the-petition-with-the-same-person/#entry6193414

well, according to your topic in april 2013.. you submitted for K1.. but had NOT met within the two years before submitting.. so, yea.. thats a mistake on ya'lls part.. all this information is in the instructions and the paperwork..

it will cost you months now.. cuz you will either wait to see if you get denied.. or you will want refile.. once again.. time is lost..

i suggest you read.. reread and reread again... and repeat! the guides listed here for the Fiance or Spousal visa.. then be read to do this right and error free the next time

i thought u gave me the link to that guidelines. i wonder what's the purpose of ur post if it didnt really answer my question.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

you want an answer..

Read the Guidelines compare/contrast.. and decide for yourself based upon YOUR certain situation.. everyone here had a different experience and may not be best for YOU

read the guides over and over.. and read VJ threads to see where people are having problems or questions for which ever one you chose..

don't RUSH the application in order to file it sooner.. mistakes can happen, as you know.. its better to take more time up front... get a good petition to send off.. whether K1 or CR1.. this process is going to take patience, no matter which you chose..

good luck

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Timeline

you want an answer..

Read the Guidelines compare/contrast.. and decide for yourself based upon YOUR certain situation.. everyone here had a different experience and may not be best for YOU

read the guides over and over.. and read VJ threads to see where people are having problems or questions for which ever one you chose..

don't RUSH the application in order to file it sooner.. mistakes can happen, as you know.. its better to take more time up front... get a good petition to send off.. whether K1 or CR1.. this process is going to take patience, no matter which you chose..

good luck

im not rushing anything. one way or another the decision will come out. we just have to make sure that we'd tried everything out, in that case we will not have any regrets in the end or wont blame one another for any problem that may arise. and we believe in God's timing. the thing is, there are tons of info here on VJ and i can only read and take in so much and ill encounter some unrelated topics too, so why waste my time. it's like finding a needle in a haystack. nobody wants to do that, do they? i dont. all i need is to ask or start a topic and people who are willing to help will lead me to those specific data. also, that is why theres a forum, so we can help each other out and so we can save time and effort. thanks for the advice but i dont need it, i need information. anyway, thanks.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

the thing is, there are tons of info here on VJ and i can only read and take in so much and ill encounter some unrelated topics too, so why waste my time. it's like finding a needle in a haystack. nobody wants to do that, do they? i dont.

all i need is to ask or start a topic and people who are willing to help will lead me to those specific data. also, that is why theres a forum, so we can help each other out and so we can save time and effort. thanks for the advice but i dont need it, i need information. anyway, thanks.

Well, with that kind of Attitude.. how can you go wrong on this journey.. LOL

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Timeline

Well, with that kind of Attitude.. how can you go wrong on this journey.. LOL

LMAO.. still useless.. ure answers were no-brainer, they had no substance. if ure thinking on sharing ur thoughts with a little to none at all knowledge and will just treat people (who ask questions) condescendingly, dont bother. i think we'll find the answers just fine without ur help. :D

Filed: Timeline

Treating people like that is not a way to make friends or get people interested in giving you information.

With that said, from what I can tell, you will be denied if you have not met your fiancee, UNLESS:

1. You have a disability or other reason, which you can prove, which prevents you from visiting your fiancee

AND

2. Your fiancee applied for a U.S. visa to visit you, and was denied. You need proof of this (214(b) denial, etc.)

I would suggest that you actually go there and meet your fiancee. Then, you can get married and proceed that way, or you can go the K-1 route and get approved.

What would Xenu do?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

LMAO.. still useless.. ure answers were no-brainer, they had no substance. if ure thinking on sharing ur thoughts with a little to none at all knowledge and will just treat people (who ask questions) condescendingly, dont bother. i think we'll find the answers just fine without ur help. biggrin.png

don't bite the hand that feeds you. any further replies like the above won't be well received by vj moderation.

charles

vj moderation

Edited by charles!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

OP, are you the petitioner or the beneficiary who's asking the question? Or, are you sharing this VisaJourney account? Apologies for my confusion. Thanks very much for your answer.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Treating people like that is not a way to make friends or get people interested in giving you information.

Agreed. This is a username I will pass over and not bother to help out. If someone cannot be bothered to help themselves, research, read and follow instructions/requirements, then why should I bother to help? Going back to quote and be snarky to each person that answered was just the nail in the coffin for me.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

OP, are you the petitioner or the beneficiary who's asking the question? Or, are you sharing this VisaJourney account? Apologies for my confusion. Thanks very much for your answer.

i am neither! i am just someone who happens to have two bestfriends in love with each other and dont know how to process a fiance visa properly. i volunteered to help them out since they were desperate to make everything okay after messing up with their application. they dont know about this site coz they are busy with their jobs, no time to check the internet and even their emails. so i did everything for them. everything they want to know, i post! every answers i get, i forward! it's hard but im happy that i can help. but the hard thing is, you are eager to help and you want a quick answer thats why u joined some forum, but some people will advice you like you are 5 yrs old and thought you havent done what they suggested. it's crazy! well maybe ill suggest to my friends that stop asking questions because they can just read everything on the internet. find time! Vj or not, theyll find answers, if they cant find the answers, dig deeper. dont ask! because no one can ever really help them. ill also tell them that its non sense to join any forum bec people there will just tell them the obvious.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.