coffeelove

Law prohibits - Using K1 Visa

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Laos
Timeline

A young Laotian woman cried, telling me that she was engaged in Laos to a US citizen who promised to love her forever, petitioned for her to come to the US as his fiancée, and promised to marry her as soon as she arrived in the US. They had a Laotian engagement ceremony in front of everyone in her village but could not get married because Laos law prohibits foreign men to marry Laotian women. A man was the first she ever loved, when she arrived in the US many months later, A man would not even take her call and told his friend to tell her that he had found someone else. So she has returned home immediately !!! and can not marry another man to obtain her stay by K1 Visa

If this is the true purpose, why does the Laos law allow engagement? What did the drafters of the Laos law expect that the couple would do after becoming engaged?

I know many countries allow to have wedding and apply for K3 Visa ! So this can not guarantee for K1 visa if THE LOVE IS NO LONGER FOREVER

Engagement is generally not a legally binding action. It's just a cultural phenomenon in most cases. Laos likely neither allows nor denies it, because it's a not a legal status.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Uhm, I don't think it has much to do with Laotian law, but rather with a relationship that didn't work. K-1 or K-3, he would have rejected her. By the way you phrase it, it sounds like her main purpose was to move to the US. But I certainly misinterpreted your words...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

you said "So she has returned home immediately !!! and can not marry another man to obtain her stay by K1 Visa"....

my questions....why would she want to marry another man if she loves this man so much? and why would she want to stay? and was she just looking for a way to the US? sure sounds iy by the way you phrased it

I don't understand this part of your post. Of course she cannot marry someone else,the visa was for her to marry him, not some other random person.

Edited by mimolicious

By the way you phrase it, it sounds like her main purpose was to move to the US. But I certainly misinterpreted your words...

From the OP: "and can not marry another man to obtain her stay by K1 Visa"

That line made me interpret it the same way you did, too. Saying that about someone makes it sound like they just wanted only to immigrate, rather than live with their beloved.

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Engagement is not a legal status. Being engaged legally is no different from being boyfriend and girlfriend. There is no legal relationship between the two people. Their intent is to marry. They are free to change their mind. No one is legally forced to marry if he changes his mind.

You seem more intent on the ability for her to immigrate rather than having avoided a bad marriage with a man who does not love her.

Why does it matter that she can't marry another man with the K-1 visa? Why would she want to if the man who abandoned her is the only man she has ever loved? Why is she so quick to marry another man after losing her first and only love?

By the way, Laotian law has nothing to do with her situation. It seems you think things would have turns out better for her if they had gotten married in Laos and he petitioned her as a spouse. The result could have been a lot worse. It takes the same time to petition a fiancée or a spouse. He would still be free to pursue his new woman. She would get a conditional 2 years green card that she cannot remove the condition on for lack o a bona fide marriage, a cheating husband, and no support in the US.

Is immigrating to the US more important than an loyal husband?

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline

I didn't meant to say she wants to stay in the U.S I just would like to say she needs to marry US citizen who filed the petition only and can not marry another man. Now she is not even to face her family and friends

I didn't meant to say she wants to stay in the U.S I just would like to say she needs to marry US citizen who filed the petition only and can not marry another man. Now she is not even to face her family and friends

That's correct.

She can, of course, marry another man. She's not forever bound to the original petitioner, because engagement is not a legal contract.

She just can't marry another man in the USA now and expect to stay in the country, however.

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I also put captial note in the end of my text that When THE LOVE IS NO LONGER FOREVER that's why this happen !

Marriage has no guarantee that a love last forever.

This woman is lucky that she avoided marrying a cheating man.

I don't see why you dislike the Laotion law against a foreigner marrying in Laos. What does the law have to do with making love forever? Didn't this law save this woman from a cheating husband?

Timeline

I didn't dislike the Laos Law ! I have to thank you the Laos Law instead because this can help me and my fiancée to get marry soon in US.. We are now counting to our 8 years of love !

This post just wat to show 2 things , one my poor to her and second is about my wondering about law ! If the law can protect people in this kind of suituation, I am happy with them !

I Just really pity her ! As she is young and not brave enough to face her friends and family and I also did not support her to marry another guy too ! My phrase is a bit interrupted and misspell - sorry for that to all commentator

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

That's sad. My fiancee is from Cambodia, and the culture is similar, particularly with love, etc. In my travels to-and-from Cambodia, I had broken a lot of Cambodian girls' hearts until I met my fiancee. Americans and Cambodians, (and I'm assuming Americans and Laotians) have different attitudes about love. In those cultures like Cambodian and Laotian, most girls only have a single person they ever love and marry. Americans tend to date around, and don't generally commit easily. I had the courage to tell the other girls that I would not marry them and they should move on, but I know some guys that don't, they lead a girl on for different reasons, and then hope to just leave and forget about them.

In the case of my fiancee, I had to be 100% sure she was the right one for me before I confessed any feelings and before we caled eachother so much as boyfriend or girlfriend. And now we are so close to getting married, I am so happy!

I am so sorry and sad for your friend. I hope her heart can heal and she can move on and find someone who will love her forever.

~David

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

That's sad. My fiancee is from Cambodia, and the culture is similar, particularly with love, etc. In my travels to-and-from Cambodia, I had broken a lot of Cambodian girls' hearts until I met my fiancee. Americans and Cambodians, (and I'm assuming Americans and Laotians) have different attitudes about love. In those cultures like Cambodian and Laotian, most girls only have a single person they ever love and marry. Americans tend to date around, and don't generally commit easily. I had the courage to tell the other girls that I would not marry them and they should move on, but I know some guys that don't, they lead a girl on for different reasons, and then hope to just leave and forget about them.

In the case of my fiancee, I had to be 100% sure she was the right one for me before I confessed any feelings and before we caled eachother so much as boyfriend or girlfriend. And now we are so close to getting married, I am so happy!

I am so sorry and sad for your friend. I hope her heart can heal and she can move on and find someone who will love her forever.

~David

What he said !!

Your friendly neighborhood post office expert

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to General Immigration Discussion -- topic is about cultural and other issues beyond the K-1 process itself. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.