sumit381

Tax information question for i864EZ

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hello,

I am filling out the 864EZ form which asks for the most recent year's tax information. I have filed my taxes for the 2012 tax year however, the tax return transcript is not yet available. I haven't gotten my refund yet either. Any ideas on what I should do? Should I put in the information from the 1040 form and also include a note which explains that at the time of filling out the 864EZ form, I didn't have my transcript for the most recent tax year? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Send in a copy of the return that you sent to the IRS and yes, put on the letter why you don't have the transcript. Order the transcript as soon as you can and then ensure that it's at the interview.

Timeline
Thank guys for your responses. I will send copies of my 1040 and W2 as well as attach a letter explaining the my 2012 return transcript was not available from the IRS at the time of filling out the I864ez.

Thanks again.

Timeline

Ok so i've got a couple more questions regarding my 2012 taxes. The copy i have of my 2012 form is not signed and dated. Unfortunately, when i submitted my tax forms, i forgot to make a copy of the signed form. Would the unsigned tax form generate a checklist? Also my 2012 1040 form had along with it my foreign spouse's W7 application as well some forms for my HSA account (8889 i think). Do i need to include these forms with my 1040 form or just the 1040 is enough along with my w2?

Thank you for your help.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I would imagine the unsigned copy would generate the checklist. How long ago did you file? I was able to order my tax transcript as soon as my return was processed. Have you checked your status on http://www.irs.gov/Refunds/Where's-My-Refund-It's-Quick,-Easy,-and-Secure.

If it's being processed, I'd see if you can go ahead and order your tax transcript. I would imagine, but don't 100% know that the transcript won't include anything about the w-7, so logically, I would think that the 1040 would be enough if you go that route. But that's just a supposition.

Timeline

I would imagine the unsigned copy would generate the checklist. How long ago did you file? I was able to order my tax transcript as soon as my return was processed. Have you checked your status on

Thank, I appreciate your input. I sent my application near the of march or beginning of april. However they sent me a letter asking to provide a certified copy of my wife's passport for the W7. Originally i had sent a notorized copy. I sent them the certified copy on june 12. Also their check status system doesn't show any status for my return yet. Same with the transcript order page. When i try to order my 2012 transcript, it basically says it's not available.

I'm thinking i'll send my i864 packet as it is right now with the unsigned 1040. If it generates a checklist then so be it. Atleast that way my i864 will be in process and just wait later on when my 2012 transcript becomes available. Then i'll send them the transcript if they generate a checklist or i'll at least have the transcript when me and my wife go for the interview. Any ceavats in that plan?

Thanks again for your help.

Timeline

NVC just received your application this month so you will not be having an interview for a while still.

Sign your 1040 copy.

You send scanned copies anyway, it's not like they can tell.

As soon as your refund transcript becomes available, get it and bring it to interview (as you have to bring all originals to interview anyways.

/problem solved

Thank, I appreciate your input. I sent my application near the of march or beginning of april. However they sent me a letter asking to provide a certified copy of my wife's passport for the W7. Originally i had sent a notorized copy. I sent them the certified copy on june 12. Also their check status system doesn't show any status for my return yet. Same with the transcript order page. When i try to order my 2012 transcript, it basically says it's not available.

I'm thinking i'll send my i864 packet as it is right now with the unsigned 1040. If it generates a checklist then so be it. Atleast that way my i864 will be in process and just wait later on when my 2012 transcript becomes available. Then i'll send them the transcript if they generate a checklist or i'll at least have the transcript when me and my wife go for the interview. Any ceavats in that plan?

Thanks again for your help.

why do you send it unsigned and hope not to get a checklist?

SIGN IT!

oldlady.gif

Timeline

NVC just received your application this month so you will not be having an interview for a while still.

Sign your 1040 copy.

You send scanned copies anyway, it's not like they can tell.

As soon as your refund transcript becomes available, get it and bring it to interview (as you have to bring all originals to interview anyways.

/problem solved

why do you send it unsigned and hope not to get a checklist?

SIGN IT!

My only concern with signing it now and sending it is that the 1040 also asks for a date when signed. I don't recall the exact date I put on the 1040 when I sent it. So I'm not sure what date I would put on it now. And I signed the orginal 1040 on one date and my wife signed it on another date since I emailed her the 1040 to her Canadian residence and then she sent the signed/dates papers back to me via snail mail. So if I were to sign it now and put some made up dates, there could be issues if they were to compare the copy I sent to them versus what I orignally sent to the IRS? That's basically why I'm shying away from just signing the 1040 now and sending it.

uggghhhh...why didn't I remember to make a copy after I signed it....

Hmm now I'm not sure what I should do...

Edited by sumit381

You may or may not get a checklist. Go into an SSA office (if possible) and order the tax transcripts as soon as possible.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Honestly, I would just sign it and guess the date and send it.

What are you going to if you receive a check list for it?

Probably sign it! Since that's what they'd want.

You can explain yourself at the interview if it becomes and issue, but I think you're turning this into something it's not.

oldlady.gif

Also if you send the tax return you have to send everything not just the 1040, you need to send the workbooks, etc... everything you used to do the taxes. (I have asked Saylin this question and this is her answer.)

That sounds like a LOT of scanning!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Also if you send the tax return you have to send everything not just the 1040, you need to send the workbooks, etc... everything you used to do the taxes. (I have asked Saylin this question and this is her answer.)

Disagree.

I only sent the 1040ez and my w2, that's it.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Can you explain this a bit more? What do you mean by workbooks, etc? I would think they only want 1040 and W2 since if you order a transcript it doesn't include much more than what's on your 1040 and W2, right?

Thanks.

Disagree.

I only sent the 1040ez and my w2, that's it.

Hmmm good to note.. you may want to let Saylin know :)

Can you explain this a bit more? What do you mean by workbooks, etc? I would think they only want 1040 and W2 since if you order a transcript it doesn't include much more than what's on your 1040 and W2, right?

Thanks.

Considering I've never done taxes in the USA, I haven't a clue, I'm going off of what another respected member has told me. But KDH said she didn't send everything and her husband has an interview so I guess it would work out!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.