earthwormgym

Proof of address?

14 posts in this topic

So arrived in the US last week- when looking to open a US Bank account, they apparently want a proof of address....well, I have only lived with my wife for about 4 days so far, haha, so don't have official documentation yet...

Does anyone know of a good visa document that would work for this?

Thanks.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I received several letters from immigration being that my home was my husband's intended address in his paperwork.

I have not seen these letters (physically) because i'm in Canada right now, but do these have your name on them?

oldlady.gif

I received several letters from immigration being that my home was my husband's intended address in his paperwork.

I have not seen these letters (physically) because i'm in Canada right now, but do these have your name on them?

good point- my wife is looking now!

I went with my wife, and we put her name on the joint accounts. She wasn't even my wife yet, as she came on a K-1. The big issue they were having was the lack of an SS number, which I had checked earlier with the manager to insure it wasn't a problem. Then a clerk decided it was, until I finally convinced her to go ask the manager. I would think if your wife is with you, she can vouch for you and prove your address with her ID.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

You can also go get a driver's license with your current address on it.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I think a DL requires some kind of proof of address lol

A lot is going to depend on the local rules for that. I'm not sure how tough Missouri is on new immigrants. Lucky for my wife our state is easy, just having me vouch for her got her a state ID with her passport.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

A lot is going to depend on the local rules for that. I'm not sure how tough Missouri is on new immigrants. Lucky for my wife our state is easy, just having me vouch for her got her a state ID with her passport.

Missouri is kinda ghetto, they would probably take someone's word lol.

In IL, you need tons of ID.

My ex bf needed proof of address for in state tuition at college.

They legit told him to send himself a letter to prove it lmao.

So that's what we did!

oldlady.gif

Missouri is kinda ghetto, they would probably take someone's word lol.

In IL, you need tons of ID.

My ex bf needed proof of address for in state tuition at college.

They legit told him to send himself a letter to prove it lmao.

So that's what we did!

Sounds like an old Steely Dan song rofl.gif

Rikki don't lose that number
You don't wanna call nobody else
Send it off in a letter to yourself

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

Sounds like an old Steely Dan song rofl.gif

Rikki don't lose that number
You don't wanna call nobody else
Send it off in a letter to yourself

Then use that letter to prove instate tuition!

oldlady.gif

Then use that letter to prove instate tuition!

Its probably a good thing to advise people to do before they get here. Sending a bit of mail to themselves so they have proof of address.

I had a credit card with terms that were too good when they changed the laws a few years ago, so they were cancelling the card, but said I could get any other card. I had recently moved into a buddies house, I paid him rent but had no utilities. The credit card was even mailing my bills there. When I went to get a new card with them, they refused me because I had no utilities at that address and wanted proof I was who I said I was. #######, I had the old card for 8 years and they were even billing me there!headbonk.gif I get offers from them all the time now, but I'm not going back to that company ever.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.