earthwormgym

Post of Immigration afterwards...

42 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kosova
Timeline

Chicago did not take my husband's x-rays. Also, we had to go to the social security office to apply for his card, even though the form was checked to receive one. We waited nearly a month and when it still didn't come (he had his green card in about 2 weeks), the social security office said they don't send them automatically, you need to come in. My hubby showed them his passport, green card and letters from the USCIS that were sent to him at our address. They asked some questions to verify his identity. Then his SS card came in the mail a few days later.

XMY93gI.jpgXMY9m5.png

AAD1m5.pngThankYouUSA-Kosova.jpg

See my Timeline for details of our visa journey
17-Aug-2011 Our Wedding Day in Kosovo 
07-Nov-2011 Filed I-130
21-Nov-2011 NOA1
23-Aug-2012 NOA2 Approved 276 days
10-Jan-2013 Case complete via email

28-Feb-2013 Interview, result AP
11-Apr-2013 Embassy appointment - VISA APPROVED and issued in 4 hours
30-Apr-2013 POE Chicago O'Hare - He's home!

04-Sep-2014 Moved to northern California

12-Mar-2015 Filed ROC
16-Mar-2015 Documents delivered
18-Mar-2015 Check cashed
19-Mar-2015 NOA1 dated 03/16/2015 received in mail
13-Apr-2015 Biometrics completed
02-Feb-2016 Contacted USCIS about case, was told it's on hold because of security checks (email)
04-Mar-2016 Moved to Wisconsin
12-Aug-2016 New Biometrics appointment
14-Sep-2016 Contacted USCIS again about case (email said we should hear from them by Oct 6)
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 explaining the Service Request is currently being reviewed by an officer.
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 with Interview appointment for both of us for 28-Sep-2016
28-Sep-2016 Interview, both of us, separated, not hard, 10 min. each, result---said hubby will get GC in about 10 days
26-Oct-2016 *****STILL WAITING*****
02-Nov-2016 Card is being produced!!!
08-Nov-2016 Card is mailed
10-Nov-2016 Card is Delivered!!!! YAY
CITIZENSHIP: 

Biometrics appointment for 2020-03-27 has been cancelled until further notice as all field offices are closed because of COVID-19.

***NOA dated 12/10/2020 USCIS stated they are able to reuse previous Biometrics***

Interview was easy. My hubby's Oath Ceremony is scheduled for February 25th. I can't watch >sad< but happy he is getting his certificate!

25-FEB-2021 Oath Ceremony! My hubby is a Citizen!

I just realized I have had mail sent to me here already! OOO proof of address! YAY! (I got a letter at this address before my husband did. LOL)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Fiji
Timeline

So with regards to the Social Security Number, do I have to apply for it, or does that come ready-made in the mail with the Green Card?

as long as you checked the boxes in the original visa application correctly it should come automatically

8/16/2012 I-129F NOA1
11/8/2012 Married
1/3/2013 I-129F cancelled
1/29/2013 withdrawal notice received
2/5/2013 I-130 NOA1 with error on wife's name
Case status not available
2/5/2013 Unable to generate service request

3/13/2013 transferred to local office
3/26/2013 Service request generated
4/12/2013 Infopass, file in workflow March 28
4/19/2013 Case status available - APPROVED!

Detour to the NVC via NRC

For information on my detour and the steps I took to free my petition, check
"about me"

NVC

6/7/2013 NVC logs file as received

6/11/2013 Case number and IIN assigned

6/12/2013 DS-3032 emailed

6/13/21013 AOS paid

6/14/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention superuser (stupid me)

6/23/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention supervisor

6/24/2013 DS-3032 accepted

6/25/2013 IV bill generated and paid

07/06/2013 IV & AOS sent; 07/11/2013 NVC logs received

07/30/2013 IV Accepted; AOS Checklist

08/01/2013 AOS Checklist received

08/02/2013 AOS resent; 08/07/2013 NVC logs received

08/28/2013 Case Complete

09/10/2013 Interview date assigned

Embassy

08/14/2013 Medical; 08/19/2013 Medical Ready

08/07/2013 Police cert ordered (Fiji delivers straight to the embassy)

10/02/2013 Interview

xx/xx/2013 Visa in Hand

xx/xx/2013 POE Los Angeles International Airport

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

So with regards to the Social Security Number, do I have to apply for it, or does that come ready-made in the mail with the Green Card?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/405546-ssn-howto/

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Thanks for this Darnell- very helpful!!

My situation is a bit tricky though...so two yeare prior to our marriage, I was a Graduate Student and worked for less than 20 hours a week- for this, I had to get a Social Security Card, but on it says the following:

'VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION'

So I'm not sure whether I need to simply contact my Local SSA office in Sedalia and ask them, or just await a whole new card. I do remember providing the number on the DS-230, but don't know if that means they assume I have a card already or if that know I need a new/updated one...

I think I might just contact the office for more info...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Boston did not take our chest x-rays.

You will keep the same SS #, but you should go to the office to request a new card. You can apply for jobs without a social security number, the proof is floating around the SSA website somewhere. We showed it to my husband's employer as he started working before he got the SSN.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Boston did not take our chest x-rays.

You will keep the same SS #, but you should go to the office to request a new card. You can apply for jobs without a social security number, the proof is floating around the SSA website somewhere. We showed it to my husband's employer as he started working before he got the SSN.

Oh cool, I figured the number would be the same.

The main reason for needing the SSN now is to get a local driver's license- without it, I cannot get car insurance of my wife's vehicle...

Really? My husband added me to his insurance when I was still living in Canada.

But if you're the primary driver I can see their reservations (but only a little bit.)

Just remember which side of the road to drive on ;) *giggles* I tease you!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Thanks for this Darnell- very helpful!!

My situation is a bit tricky though...so two yeare prior to our marriage, I was a Graduate Student and worked for less than 20 hours a week- for this, I had to get a Social Security Card, but on it says the following:

'VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION'

So I'm not sure whether I need to simply contact my Local SSA office in Sedalia and ask them, or just await a whole new card. I do remember providing the number on the DS-230, but don't know if that means they assume I have a card already or if that know I need a new/updated one...

I think I might just contact the office for more info...

DHS Authorization = stamp in passport that validates the visa to be used as a 1 year temp I-551 document,

so bear that in mind .

[and congratulations on getting the DHS authorization at the POE]

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Really? My husband added me to his insurance when I was still living in Canada.

But if you're the primary driver I can see their reservations (but only a little bit.)

Just remember which side of the road to drive on wink.png *giggles* I tease you!

haha I may have to keep reminding myself of which side to drive on!!

DHS Authorization = stamp in passport that validates the visa to be used as a 1 year temp I-551 document,

so bear that in mind .

[and congratulations on getting the DHS authorization at the POE]

Really? Is that what it technically means?!

SO then I dont need to update my Social Security card?...

Timeline

actually, you should go in to SSA office 14 days or more after POE

and get it updated for 'basis' of use.

Why? when an employer looks you up in e-verify (without the update at SSA) then you might (possibly) have problems.

and why 14 days? It takes that long for the SAVE db system to catch up with yer POE event.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kosova
Timeline

as long as you checked the boxes in the original visa application correctly it should come automatically

Not for hubby. The box was checked. We waited about 3 weeks and then I called the local SS office. I was told they never issue them automatically, we need to come in. Hubby needed to bring his passport, green card and mail he received in his name at our address. The letters from USCIS were perfect for this. They asked my husband questions, like a mini interview...name, date of birth, country of birth, where do you live now, what day did you enter the US? He was asked to write his parents names on a piece of paper and to write the name of the city he was born in. The man checked all his answers with what was on the computer. Then he said my hubby will receive his card in the mail. It came in just a few days. We live in Indiana, if that has any bearing on them refusing to issue automatically.

XMY93gI.jpgXMY9m5.png

AAD1m5.pngThankYouUSA-Kosova.jpg

See my Timeline for details of our visa journey
17-Aug-2011 Our Wedding Day in Kosovo 
07-Nov-2011 Filed I-130
21-Nov-2011 NOA1
23-Aug-2012 NOA2 Approved 276 days
10-Jan-2013 Case complete via email

28-Feb-2013 Interview, result AP
11-Apr-2013 Embassy appointment - VISA APPROVED and issued in 4 hours
30-Apr-2013 POE Chicago O'Hare - He's home!

04-Sep-2014 Moved to northern California

12-Mar-2015 Filed ROC
16-Mar-2015 Documents delivered
18-Mar-2015 Check cashed
19-Mar-2015 NOA1 dated 03/16/2015 received in mail
13-Apr-2015 Biometrics completed
02-Feb-2016 Contacted USCIS about case, was told it's on hold because of security checks (email)
04-Mar-2016 Moved to Wisconsin
12-Aug-2016 New Biometrics appointment
14-Sep-2016 Contacted USCIS again about case (email said we should hear from them by Oct 6)
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 explaining the Service Request is currently being reviewed by an officer.
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 with Interview appointment for both of us for 28-Sep-2016
28-Sep-2016 Interview, both of us, separated, not hard, 10 min. each, result---said hubby will get GC in about 10 days
26-Oct-2016 *****STILL WAITING*****
02-Nov-2016 Card is being produced!!!
08-Nov-2016 Card is mailed
10-Nov-2016 Card is Delivered!!!! YAY
CITIZENSHIP: 

Biometrics appointment for 2020-03-27 has been cancelled until further notice as all field offices are closed because of COVID-19.

***NOA dated 12/10/2020 USCIS stated they are able to reuse previous Biometrics***

Interview was easy. My hubby's Oath Ceremony is scheduled for February 25th. I can't watch >sad< but happy he is getting his certificate!

25-FEB-2021 Oath Ceremony! My hubby is a Citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Not for hubby. The box was checked. We waited about 3 weeks and then I called the local SS office. I was told they never issue them automatically, we need to come in. Hubby needed to bring his passport, green card and mail he received in his name at our address. The letters from USCIS were perfect for this. They asked my husband questions, like a mini interview...name, date of birth, country of birth, where do you live now, what day did you enter the US? He was asked to write his parents names on a piece of paper and to write the name of the city he was born in. The man checked all his answers with what was on the computer. Then he said my hubby will receive his card in the mail. It came in just a few days. We live in Indiana, if that has any bearing on them refusing to issue automatically.

That is a little crazy. All my husband needed was the CR1 visa in his passport and his passport. No weird questions or anything. We live in CT and I filed to change my name to married at the same time, also no weird questions.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Lots of people get them automatically. I think it depends on the POE sometimes and how speedy they are at sending stuff to the USCIS.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.