Apprehensive89

URGENT- question regarding the i-864

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello, I have a rather urgent question regarding the i-864 forms. My husband's parents are the joint sponsors for my adjustment of status petition because my husband currently does not make enough to cover both of us under the 125% of the poverty guideline requirement. His parents have filled out forms i-864 and i-864a and they make more than enough to cover all 4 of us under the 125% poverty guideline.

However, I understand that even if my husband is not the sponsor, he still has to fill out an i-864 form. I'm a little confused as to how to fill it out if he is not the sponsor. Does he still need to fill out the financial information?

Also, he did file an income tax return for the year of 2012 because he didn't work that year. What sort of information do we need to present in this scenario? Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Edited by Apprehensive89

Yes he still needs to sign a completed I-864 as the primary sponsor. Fill in everything that is relevant. If he didn't file taxes for a particular year you should include a letter that states why he didn't file taxes for that year (unemployed, made under threshold required to file etc... )

HIs parents do not need to make enough to cover the two of you, just you plus their own household. If they claim him as a dependant on their taxes is the only reason they would include him in their household count.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes he still needs to sign a completed I-864 as the primary sponsor. Fill in everything that is relevant. If he didn't file taxes for a particular year you should include a letter that states why he didn't file taxes for that year (unemployed, made under threshold required to file etc... )

HIs parents do not need to make enough to cover the two of you, just you plus their own household. If they claim him as a dependant on their taxes is the only reason they would include him in their household count.

thanks for your clarification! :) I think I understand it now. They do claim him as a dependent and that's why the household count is 4.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.