NikLR

Why did you pick K1 vs CR1? (for Canadian beneficiaries)

33 posts in this topic

So I was thinking today - there are a number of new members who I noticed are doing the K1 visa and not the CR1. Granted they aren't married YET so that's the option for them. BUT, I'm wondering if anyone did consider the CR1 route vs the K1?

So what was your reasoning for choosing the visa route that you did?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We had time on our side, even though back in 2004 the CR-1 took around the same time as the k1, maybe just a tad longer. When you sat down and compared them, just sort of made more sense to go the CR-1 route. Why give the gov't more $$ than you have to,lol And it for us it didn't really matter being married and separated--going to be separated anyways,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

we picked Cr1 because we thought we had a kind of tricky situation and we figured a CR1 visa would be easier to get. We had already been in an LDR for about 2 years so we figured a few extra months would be ok..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I picked K1 because it seemed easier at the time. I didn't want to try to prove "co-mingling of assets" and "real marriage" etc. when we hadn't even lived together before.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't remember having to prove co-mingling of assets. And we didn't really offer much proof of a real marriage. I think a few pictures and cards.. plus the marriage certificate of course

mvSuprise-hug.gif

We personally picked the CR1 because I wanted to be able to work and travel right away. Being stuck in the USA for any period of time was not okay with me. We contemplated the costs of both as well before we were married. Either way I would have had flights, a medical and travel costs. Either way I would have had moving costs. So they were moot. It may have been cheaper to be in Vancouver for less time, but then AOS costs more than cancelled that out.

Also as my husband wasn't working at the time we were engaged and then married, and I was, plus we didn't know when that would change for him, it would have been easier for either of us (in our opinion) to immigrate either to Canada or the USA if we were already married. Had he not gotten a job when he did, he'd be in Canada right now vs me being in the USA. He was able to put me on his bank account fairly easily. Honestly how easy it was for me to make an RBC USA account, I could have him put on that while I had been in Canada too. Added me to car insurance and that's all we did to show co-mingling of finances. Otherwise we had maybe 6 pictures, some plane ticket stubs and 2 affidavits.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

We basically didn't want to spend the first year of our marriage apart. It also seemed like the easier option, for the same reasons that Marilyn posted about co mingling of assets and such. It wasn't important for me to work right away.

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

12-13-2013 * 90 day window to apply opens

02-24-2014 * ROC package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-25-2014 * ROC package received at USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-26-2014 * NOA1 notice date

02-28-2014 * Cheque cashed

03-05-2014 * Biometrics notice date

03-28-2014 * Biometrics Appointment in Baltimore

Timeline

I don't remember having to prove co-mingling of assets. And we didn't really offer much proof of a real marriage. I think a few pictures and cards.. plus the marriage certificate of course

I didn't really understand everything at that point and I thought it was going to be more difficult to prove. So lack of understanding and worrying about proving everything played a big part of it. If I could go into it knowing what I know now I probably would have done CR1 as well!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We picked K1 primarily because we didn't want to be separated after the wedding. One additional advantage with the K1 for us was that the K1 let us go through Vancouver, which was noticeably quicker and easier than Montreal at the time.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Timeline

We picked K1 for several reasons but the main one was that we didn't want to have to live separately after the wedding once we were married. It was also helpful that I lived in BC so had the option of going to the Vancouver embassy for the interview instead of flying to Montreal/staying there (so saved money wise).

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Another vote for K-1 - I was based in Vancouver, and didn't want to fly out the Montreal for the interview. Just seemed like a pain in the butt and costly (though, I didn't run the numbers if a lack of AOS > going to Montreal costs).

Also, while in the K-1 process, it was hella annoying of having to explain everyone "I don't know when I'm getting married, whenever my case is processed" vs. I can see being more annoying explaining why one isn't living with their wife/husband. Twice now, my husband has met people are in LD relationships, and they think simply getting married gives you an instant greencard without paperwork, fees and wait time.

Timeline

My trip to Vancouver was $1200 all in for consulate fees, medical fees, flights, hotel and food, although part of that is that I was able to find a very cheap hotel next door to the location of the former medical clinic, and I was able to fit everything into 2 days.

It's probably a win, particularly if you factor in inconvenience and time off work.

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We went the CR1 route because we looked at it as the one stop shop; may have taken longer but in the end I am able to work immediately....we both live in border towns so seeing each other every weekend was easy up to my husbands approval to stay in Canada with me on a TRP...

07-18-12 - Married
10-26-12 - NOA1 sent
10-29-12 - NOA1 received
03-11-13 - NOA2 approved
04-03-13 - NVC received
04-10-13 - NVC case number assigned
04-19-13 - AOS/IV paid

04-22-13 - AOS/IV cleared

06-07-13 - Case Complete

09-03-13 - Medical

09-25-13 - Interview

10-01-13 - Picked up Visa

10-02-13 - POE Queenston-Lewiston

10-11-13 - SSN arrived

Timeline

We chose the K1 for two reasons.

One, we didn't want to be separated after our marriage. We wanted to start our married life together.

Two, at the time we looked at both options, the K1 was quicker (7 months) as opposed to the C1 (1 year).

As it turns out our K1 took a year for approval and it was actually 16 months from petition to POE. It seems

as soon as we filed, everything slowed down.

I didn't need to work right away either, plus I have two children that came with me.

We just filed for AOS last week. (Very costly and triple the paperwork if you are bringing your kids).

But totally worth it!! smile.png

Kimberley and Richard
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Montreal, Canada
2012-01-25 : I-129F Sent
2012-01-27 : VSC Received
2012-01-31 : I-129F NOA1 Notice Date
2012-02-01 : Touch
2012-07-05 : RFE Email (after 161 days)
2012-07-11 : RFE Received in Mail
2012-07-12 : RFE Reply Sent via USPS Overnight
2012-07-13 : RFE Reply Received at VSC at 12:16 PM
2012-07-18 : Case status updated to: "Request for Evidence Response Review"
2012-09-20 : Service Request Submitted with Tier 2 ISO
2012-09-25 : NOA2 Approved after 242 days!!
2013-01-07: Medical
2013-01-22: Interview - Approved! smile.png

My blog and video review of the Montreal Hotel that we stayed in: http://fanatictourist.com/blog/travel-tales/review-le-square-phillips-hotel-and-suites-montreal-canada/

2013-04-30: POE - Sarnia / Pt. Huron

2013-05-06: Made it legal.

2013-06-10: Apply for AOS, EAD and AP

2013-08-27: EAD / AP Received
2013-09-17: Greencard Received

2013-09-28: Wedding! smile.png

2015-06-15: Sent I-751 Application - Removal of Conditions.
2015-11-23: Approved
2015-12-02: 10 yr Green Card Rec'd.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.