GandD

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

170 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Chicagoan here (well, close enough). Just wanted to point out that concealed carry hasn't actually been implemented here yet. A 30-day extension was granted to give the governor more time to review it.

By the way, that was a 34% decrease... from this time last year, which was a statistically unusual high period. We should probably also take into account that the city put hundreds of additional police on the streets in high-crime areas in response to the previous increase in homicides, and Chicago experienced a trend of strangely cold weather for this area during the decline (yes, the weather does play a part... the hotter it is, the higher the rate tends to be. I'm not even joking)... whiiiich is why we're not too optimistic about the trend continuing.

2008 -- 13,354

2009 -- 13,136

2010 -- 12,244

2011 - 15,327

2012 - 13,954

Funny thing is anti gun folks trust someone else with gun to protect them.

2008 -- 13,354

2009 -- 13,136

2010 -- 12,244

2011 - 15,327

2012 - 13,954

Funny thing is anti gun folks trust someone else with gun to protect them.

Funny thing is that people think anyone who simply wants stronger gun control is "anti-gun"

Filed: Timeline

Funny thing is that people think anyone who simply wants stronger gun control is "anti-gun"

I am just anti-gun-in-somebody-else's-control-that-endangers-my-life. I spent many a day (and night) in the company of off-duty cops who were required to carry a firearm even during off duty hours, and saw what happens when beer and testosterone overwhelms common sense in a tavern parking lot when somebody gets in an argument over a game of eightball.

Timeline

Limiting size of magazine, or banning a gun based on how it looks is not a stronger gun control.

Edited by Harsh_77

Timeline

I am just anti-gun-in-somebody-else's-control-that-endangers-my-life. I spent many a day (and night) in the company of off-duty cops who were required to carry a firearm even during off duty hours, and saw what happens when beer and testosterone overwhelms common sense in a tavern parking lot when somebody gets in an argument over a game of eightball.

FYI.... even under existing law having CCW while intoxicated is not allowed for civilians and same should apply for off duty cops too.

FYI.... even under existing law having CCW while intoxicated is not allowed for civilians and same should apply for off duty cops too.

Even one drink can impair judgement. I wonder how many lawful CCW permittees leave their weapons at home every time they imbibe.

Timeline

Even one drink can impair judgement. I wonder how many lawful CCW permittees leave their weapons at home every time they imbibe.

How many follow a law is complete different discussion.

It is exactly same as how many ppl leave their car at home when they go out to bars?

One single txt can kill ppl too, how many ppl put down their phone while driving?

Judging by the bullet holes I've seen in road signs, not many.

How were the new proposed laws by biden and bloomberg going to address those issues?

How many follow a law is complete different discussion.

It is exactly same as how many ppl leave their car at home when they go out to bars?

One single txt can kill ppl too, how many ppl put down their phone while driving?

I guess your mother didn't explain things very well to you when you said, "Well, all the other kids get to do it!".

Edited by The Patriot

How were the new proposed laws by biden and bloomberg going to address those issues?

They weren't. And I was serious in my post above about the decline in gun homicides. I had this argument with Booyah a few years ago. I can't remember the time period, but the US population increased by over 50 million people, more guns were sold, yet the death toll fell by about 10,000.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

raises hand...

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

I guess your mother didn't explain things very well to you when you said, "Well, all the other kids get to do it!".

Did your mother explain to you don't trample on others right... based on your personal belief

more guns were sold, yet the death toll fell by about 10,000.

Can you please explain this to anti gun nuts.