mota bhai

Boehner: Immigration reform is dead

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

House Speaker John Boehner is not going to bring a comprehensive immigration-reform plan to the floor if a majority of Republicans don't support it, sources familiar with his plans said.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/john-boehner-wont-back-immigration-bill-without-majority-gop-support/article/2531983

"Immigration reform is dead" just means status quo. They aren't dead right now.

It's not status quo after it has been just within reach. It's not status quo when influential conservative Republicans have gone on record backing comprehensive immigration reform. That takes the argument away that this is just something that those pinko commie libuls support. There's a difference between the status quo and the expectation that has been build around this legislation. If Republicans kill that effort, they will pay a price.

It's not status quo after it has been just within reach. It's not status quo when influential conservative Republicans have gone on record backing comprehensive immigration reform. That takes the argument away that this is just something that those pinko commie libuls support. There's a difference between the status quo and the expectation that has been build around this legislation. If Republicans kill that effort, they will pay a price.

You give the electorate too much credit, especially a segment of it that doesn't particularly like to actually vote.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Whatever they decide, just do it after my fiancee visa is approved. :)

Sorry, I don't want the floodgates opened at this point. I know its selfish, but I'm looking out for me for once! lol

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. 

-John Kenneth Galbraith

Timeline

5-13-2013 - I129-F Send Express to Texas

5-15-2013 - I129-F Delivered and signed for in Lewisville Texas at USCIS

5-17-2013 - NOA1

5-20-2013 - Check Cashed USCIS

8-01-2013 - NOA2  (76 Days from NOA1)

9-20-2013 - NVC received!

10-7-2013  - Received at embassy Manila (17 days from receiving at NVC)

10-21-2013 - Passed Medical

10-25-2013 - Interview scheduled

10-25-2013 - Administrative Review

11-5-2013  -  Approved

11-13-2013 - Visa received

11-19-2013 - Leaving to PI

12-3-2013 - POE Seattle WA

12-14-2013 - Wedding Ruston Washington.

House Speaker John Boehner is not going to bring a comprehensive immigration-reform plan to the floor if a majority of Republicans don't support it, sources familiar with his plans said.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/john-boehner-wont-back-immigration-bill-without-majority-gop-support/article/2531983

Incorrect title.

Hispanic turnout decreased in 2012. Look it up.

All turnout decreased. The percentage of Hispanics of the total electorate increased (10% in 2012 vs. 9% in 2008) and the share of the Hispanic vote backing Obama (71% vs. 67%) also increased. Fact of the matter is that the Hispanic vote in 2012 was more relevant to Obama's victory than it was in 2008. This will continue to be true for Presidential elections from here on out. As a Republican, you won't win the White House unless you make some significant gains in that community. And with your party about to kill comprehensive immigration reform, that's not going to happen.

Facts are funny things.

They are. See above.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Good. Now maybe they can start working on reforming the legal immigration system. Fat chance, I know.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Hispanic turnout decreased slightly in 2012 and has remained relatively flat since 1996, with just under half of eligible Hispanic voters casting ballots.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2013/05/08/182301593/census-black-voting-surpassed-white-in-2012

It looks like A.J. is correct.

All turnout decreased.

From the same study.

Blacks voted at historic rates, surpassing the participation of whites for the first time since 1968, when the bureau first began publishing data on voting and race.

It looks like A.J. is correct.

Okay, turnout as not decreased for all race segments but turnout had decreased overall in 2012 vs. 2008. There were 2.6 million fewer votes cast in 2012 than there were in 2008. Most of the turnout decrease happened among non-hispanic Whites and Asians while turnout remained almost flat for Hispanics and increased for Blacks. That does not at all refute that the Hispanic vote was more relevant in 2012 than it was in 2008. It does not contradict that Hispanics made up 10% of the entire electorate in 2012 vs. 9% in 2008 (i.e. a higher percentage of the overall votes cast was cast by Hispanics) and that Hispanics voted for Obama by a higher margin in 2012 (71%) vs. 2008 (67%). Ergo, Hispanics contributed more significantly to Obama's 2012 victory than they did in 2008.