PY722

Crossing the border

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

I'm fairly new to this even though I've been registered for a while. I've retained a lawyer to file for a CR-1 visa app. We will be filing our papers next week however I'm visiting my husband in Florida in 2 days and I'm flying from Buffalo. I'm a little nervous about crossing the border and don't know what to say. My mother is also visiting with me and I'm wondering should I say I'm visiting family or should I specifically say I'm visiting my husband and his family if asked. Or should I just leave it at we're going to Tampa for a vacation. I also don't have my wedding band yes as its being fitted, so not sure if I should wear my engagement ring or not.

Has someone been through a similar experience? I'm only going until the end of the weekend and am taking my employment letter as a back up. I'm also not in a lease but rent month to month so not sure what else I should carry.

Thank you

IR-1/CR-1 Visa Event Date Service Center : National Benefits Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage (if applicable): 2013-03-15

I-130 Sent : 2013-07-19 I-130 NOA1 : 2013-07-22

I-130 Approved : 2014-01-21

NVC Received : 2014-01-31

Case Number Assigned: 2014-03-11

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2014-03-13

Pay I-864 Bill 2014-03-13

Return Completed I-864 : 2014-04-10

Receive IV Bill : 2014-03-13

Pay IV Bill : 2014-03-13

Packet received by NVC: 2014-04-11

I always said I am visiting my husband. Because that's what I was doing. They will probably ask a few extra questions like where you work, or how you met, or where he works. I've never actually been asked to see my evidence but brought a few things with me like the employment letter, a cell phone bill, noa1, and the bill showing my monthly renters insurance coming out. Do you have a copy of the rental agreement you signed? Even when you pay month to month there is a contract normally. Otherwise if you pay monthly renters insurance, have car insurance or payments, the letter from your employer, a bill or two (like cell phones which cost and arm and a leg in Canada to leave early.)

Edited by NikiR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Ensure you read e the GUIDES on the CR-1 forum..as there arer plenty of clueless lawyers...To bad you had not found VJ prior to hiring the lawyer as it is an easy process..and a lawyer does not speed it up..just sucks $$ out of ya,lol I know as we hired one..and then found VJ (back in 2004) But do yourself a favor and know the process----as no one cares more about your visa journey--than you.

I traveled to DC almost monthly from NS, never had a problem, and always told the truth. Ensure you have proof that you are going to return (airfare, letter from employer, etc etc) I always had it with me, never had to show it. My 2 cents is down below in my signature!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I crossed the border into Buffalo and Niagara Falls NY to visit my husband every weekend for the last year ( he is now in Canada with me on a TRP visiting ) I never had a problem ( knock wood ) I was ALWAYS honest...never lie to an agent...I carried a file with me showing all my ties to Canada; incl a letter from my employer stating when I was expected back at work, car ins, house bills etc...if you answer truthfully you should have no problems...if you start to tell untruths they will catch you at some point and ban you pending completion of your immigration process - just tell them you visiting your husband....only answer the questions they ask you.

07-18-12 - Married
10-26-12 - NOA1 sent
10-29-12 - NOA1 received
03-11-13 - NOA2 approved
04-03-13 - NVC received
04-10-13 - NVC case number assigned
04-19-13 - AOS/IV paid

04-22-13 - AOS/IV cleared

06-07-13 - Case Complete

09-03-13 - Medical

09-25-13 - Interview

10-01-13 - Picked up Visa

10-02-13 - POE Queenston-Lewiston

10-11-13 - SSN arrived

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Rule Zero: Tell the truth.

Rule One: Keep answers short and sweet. :)

You're going to visit your spouse, an American citizen. Come prepared with documentation that demonstrate you've got substantive ties to Canada yet, such as your immigration case number (evidence you're doing this legally), a letter from your employer and/or proof you're still working there (I used my work calendar, all those meetings!), copies of bills, proof you are in university classes. They're looking for evidence of a large-scale move, someone trying to go be permanently with their significant other, or set themselves up with a job/life/etc. down there.

26 January 2005 - Entered US as visitor from Canada.
16 May 2005 - Assembled health package, W2s.
27 June 2005 - Sent package off to Chicago lockbox.
28 June 2005 - Package received at Chicago lockbox.
11 July 2005 - RFE: cheques inappropriately placed.
18 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-485, I-131, I-765 received!
19 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-130 received!
24 August 2005 - Biometrics appointment (Naperville, IL).
25 August 2005 - AOS touched.
29 August 2005 - AP, EAD, I-485 touched.
15 September 2005 - AP and EAD approved!
03 February 2006 - SSN arrives (150 days later)
27 February 2006 - NOA 2: Interview for 27 April!!
27 April 2006 - AOS Interview, approved after 10 minutes!
19 May 2006 - 2 year conditional green card.
01 May 2008 - 10 year green card arrives.
09 December 2012 - Assembled N-400 package.
15 January 2013 - Sent package off to Phoenix.
28 January 2013 - RFE: signature missing.
06 February 2013 - NOA 1: N-400 received!
27 February 2013 - Biometrics appointment (Detroit, MI).
01 April 2013 - NOA 2: Interview assigned.

15 May 2013 - Naturalization Interview, approved after 15 minutes.

10 June 2013 - Naturalized.

Timeline

In March I crossed from Niagara Falls (Canadian side) at the Rainbow Bridge to take a flight from Buffalo to New York. I let the agent know I was visiting my wife. He asked if either of us had filed for eachother. I told him she'd filed for me to move to the US and that I had a copy of our I-130 package to show him (we hadn't yet received our NOA2) and he said he didn't need to seem them and I was free to go. Pretty painless.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is one time when it actually might help you to volunteer a little bit of information. You say to the border authorities that you and your mother are going to the airport to fly to Tampa to visit with your husband and his family, and will be returning to Canada on such and such a date. Here is our travel information. Then, along with your passports, provide a copy of your flight itineraries and round trip tickets for both of you to and from Florida. I used to fly out of Detroit to visit my fiance in Atlanta regularly and that is what I did. They would ask about our intentions and my immigration plans and I always said we had applied for a K-1 visa. You would respond that you are applying for a CR-1 visa. I also brought a file folder of information showing my ties to Canada with me, including all of the immigration paperwork. Since you have retained a lawyer to assist, you could include a copy of your contract or agreement with the lawyer in with your folder of 'ties'. Wear your engagement ring - you are not trying to hide anything. Good luck and enjoy your visit.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.