relshamy

Where does AP take place?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello everyone,

My fiance had his interview in Cairo on May 15th. The CO said our case looks good but it has to undergo mandatory AP. Anyways, I've been reading a lot lately about AP. I understand that it's name checks and police clearance and background checks and such. From what I understood also is that it takes place in Washington DC. When I tried calling the DOS, the lady keeps on telling me your case is undergoing AP in Cairo. And it never goes to Washington. And that Washington never issues visas. I told her I understand that last part but I read online that the checks happen in Washington. She said I dunno where you got that from but this is not correct. bla blaaah. I am confused. So where does it really happen???!!!

1. It doesn't matter where it takes place, does it? What do you gain by knowing "where" it is?

2. Your file is still abroad.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Yes, it does. Because it would be contradicting to what I read online. That's the whole issue. Makes you wonder why it wasn't sent to Washington like what I read online.

And no the file is not abroad. It stays in the embassy. (The name clearance happens in Washington).

The embassy is abroad from where I am writing. I thought you were the USC living in the US.

The file will only be sent to the US if they request to revoke it. It's better to stay in Cairo.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Fiji
Timeline

Hello everyone,

My fiance had his interview in Cairo on May 15th. The CO said our case looks good but it has to undergo mandatory AP. Anyways, I've been reading a lot lately about AP. I understand that it's name checks and police clearance and background checks and such. From what I understood also is that it takes place in Washington DC. When I tried calling the DOS, the lady keeps on telling me your case is undergoing AP in Cairo. And it never goes to Washington. And that Washington never issues visas. I told her I understand that last part but I read online that the checks happen in Washington. She said I dunno where you got that from but this is not correct. bla blaaah. I am confused. So where does it really happen???!!!

there are two different kind of ap that take place.. I forgot the terminology for them

one is the check in Washington

the other is checks run by the embassy

8/16/2012 I-129F NOA1
11/8/2012 Married
1/3/2013 I-129F cancelled
1/29/2013 withdrawal notice received
2/5/2013 I-130 NOA1 with error on wife's name
Case status not available
2/5/2013 Unable to generate service request

3/13/2013 transferred to local office
3/26/2013 Service request generated
4/12/2013 Infopass, file in workflow March 28
4/19/2013 Case status available - APPROVED!

Detour to the NVC via NRC

For information on my detour and the steps I took to free my petition, check
"about me"

NVC

6/7/2013 NVC logs file as received

6/11/2013 Case number and IIN assigned

6/12/2013 DS-3032 emailed

6/13/21013 AOS paid

6/14/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention superuser (stupid me)

6/23/2013 DS-3032 emailed attention supervisor

6/24/2013 DS-3032 accepted

6/25/2013 IV bill generated and paid

07/06/2013 IV & AOS sent; 07/11/2013 NVC logs received

07/30/2013 IV Accepted; AOS Checklist

08/01/2013 AOS Checklist received

08/02/2013 AOS resent; 08/07/2013 NVC logs received

08/28/2013 Case Complete

09/10/2013 Interview date assigned

Embassy

08/14/2013 Medical; 08/19/2013 Medical Ready

08/07/2013 Police cert ordered (Fiji delivers straight to the embassy)

10/02/2013 Interview

xx/xx/2013 Visa in Hand

xx/xx/2013 POE Los Angeles International Airport

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

You know, I am wondering about the same thing. My husband is in AP too (he did his interview on the 12th). I read on the Embassy's website that AP takes place in DC. However, I strongly doubt that. It wouldn't make sense that the AP is processed in DC, since the Embassy is likely to do all these background checks on the individual applying for the visa. So, that would imply that the processing needs to actually happen in Egypt, where the Embassy has greater access to Egyptian records. What you said only confirms this theory of mine. I don't know. The whole process is pretty annoying, but I am sure it is necessary. I just hope it is quickly done. We keep hearing different ranges. The paper my husband got said within a week there will be an update on the website, and then I read somewhere that AP is usually processed within 6 weeks, but then I read on the Embassy website that the process can take up until 6 months (and if more than that, send an email). I wish there was a more definite time frame!

Timeline

Thanks for your input everyone. Unfortunately, the embassy keeps on saying there's no timeframe. I told them my fiance was told 3-6 weeks by the CO during the interview. They said if after 6 weeks it's not done, then it's just not done yet and you have to wait. So pretty much the time frame that was given is just a standard one. I really do hope everything is resolved quickly for all of us inshAllah. Good luck to all of you :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I think it's a case by case basis. A few years ago a couple of members going through the US Embassy in Cairo were told that their case was sent by diplomatic pouch to Washington D.C. for Administrative Processing and Administrative Review. Meanwhile the rest of us were being told that our case was being dealt with at the Embassy and we were never told otherwise. So it may be either or depending on the case.

My advice is sit back for awhile because the situation in Egypt is very loose meaning it's fluid or unstable. There are massive demonstrations scheduled for June 21st and June 30th. The Egyptian Military is being deployed ahead of time on June 28th for the one on the 30th which is the one year anniversary of Morsi's presidency. Anytime there are larger scale or violent demonstrations and instability from political unrest the Embassy can shut down operations for awhile. Watch their website for updates.

On their front page:

• The safety of our clients and staff is our highest priority. Due to disruptions caused by the current security environment, consular services may experience unusual delays. This situation may affect processing times for visa applications and U.S. Citizen Services. Changes to appointment schedules may occur on very short notice. The Consular Section’s capacity to respond to inquiries is limited at this time due to the volume of inquiries. We regret the inconvenience and thank you for your patience as we strive to provide efficient service while prioritizing your safety.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline

my interview was 12/06/2013 and it was very hard interview coz the Co call me lair i think he tried to make me nervoes but he coudn't . he took my finger print and i signed DS and told me my case is AP from 2 weeks till 6 weeks . i hope real to end soon coz i see ppl take the visa in same day and there is someone was interviewed 12th and he was AP and after 4 days they printed his visa . so i don't think it's about check background too .. it's not make any since to me .. hope it's real done soon .. good luck everyone

Timeline

Hi! Im not sure if this is helpful but ill tell you what happened with my guy last year when we were applying for the visitor visa (now we are doing K1).

The background d checks DO occur in Washington DC. The department of state is not likely to answer your questions. We contacted the embassy in cairo so many times. They kept saying that there is no red marks against the case in the system and that we have to wait for AP to be completed. This is supposed to be done in 2 months time. We waited 6 called all the time and getting more and more frustrated.

I eventually contacted my local congresswoman's office. She has case workers there that assist residents in her area with immigration issues. The very sweet case worker gave me some information releases to complete. She herself contacted the Dos and they respond appropriately since she is working for the congresswoman. Within 2 days of her I quiting, the online e case status thing requested he send his passport in.

I don't know why, but sometimes pulling your congress representative into the mix is just enough to shake the case loose from wherever it is stuck. Give it 2 Mo the from interview date and then start this process if you need.

Good luck!

Timeline

You know, I am wondering about the same thing. My husband is in AP too (he did his interview on the 12th). I read on the Embassy's website that AP takes place in DC. However, I strongly doubt that. It wouldn't make sense that the AP is processed in DC, since the Embassy is likely to do all these background checks on the individual applying for the visa. So, that would imply that the processing needs to actually happen in Egypt, where the Embassy has greater access to Egyptian records. What you said only confirms this theory of mine. I don't know. The whole process is pretty annoying, but I am sure it is necessary. I just hope it is quickly done. We keep hearing different ranges. The paper my husband got said within a week there will be an update on the website, and then I read somewhere that AP is usually processed within 6 weeks, but then I read on the Embassy website that the process can take up until 6 months (and if more than that, send an email). I wish there was a more definite time frame!

MANDATORY AP takes place at the Washington level. It is background checks.

the FILE Never leaves the embassy in Cairo

INTERNAL AP happens at the embassy level. This is where they can perform minimal background, name checks but extensive document review, relationship verification, spying, home visits

Mandatory AP can take a long time because if your name or birthday matches a terrorist or a friend of a terrorist then they have to manually trace your family tree and find out if you are somehow related. The FBI website states 90% of AP is completed by 2 months. Their website goal states that 99% will be complete by 5 months. and a tiny percentage of people names will never be cleared because they cannot verify that they are not related or friends with a terrorists

Also if you have left your country for work or vacation then they ask for your passport to see if you were meeting up with a bad guy in another country like the UK. So they have to verify that you did not spend the night in the same hotel as Bin Laden or someone. That is all done by hand. Phone calls to hotels and airlines....it can take a long time

terrorists.pdf

Edited by together4never13

May 24, 2011 NOA1

Sept 11, 2011 NOA2-took 19 days to get case number

Sept 30, 2011 NVC number and IIN received Friday-gotta wait till Monday

Oct 13, 2011 Case Completed- 13 days from receiving case number Took 32 days from NOA2

Nov 30, 2011 Notified of Interview date

January 19, 2012 Interview- 240 days from NOA1

INTERVIEW RESULTS-APPROVED WITH 14 WEEKS AP--but he got his visa in 56 days!!!!!!

PLEASE EDIT YOUR TIMELINE IN YOUR PROFILE SO OTHERS CAN LEARN HOW LONG EACH STEP TAKES IN THIS PROCESS

Timeline

I called DOS many times and I asked the man that answered about AP he said anything DOS can do the Embassy can do there is no difference. we been on AP more than 90 days sad.png They accepted our new co sponsor and now what? Leaving our life's in the air...I would go move with my husband but Egypt isn't stable still. Besides my brother fading in front of my eyes I couldn't leave him.sad.png . Sad for all who are in AP

VMnmm7.pngrSeTm7.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.