17 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Hello,

My wife needs to do the I-693 for her AOS.

I called some civil surgeons in the area today, cost was around $175 for the exam. I asked what vaccinations she needed proof of and was told these:

Hep B

MMR

Tetanus

Polio

Then was told she will also have RPR blood test and TB test.

Just wanted to ask if anyone has any updates on the vaccine requirements. Came across many posts on here but I know things change frequently. What I found on the gov sites had a much larger list than what I was told by the civil surgeon, so I'm just asking.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=3384cc5222ff5210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=6abe6d26d17df110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1331.html

Also my wife is from China, seems really hard to get proof of these vaccinations she has had, anyone from China have suggestions on where to look for some documentation? My wife says most of them were just done at school and no records were given/kept.

Timeline

Also should add that my wife is pregnant and certain vaccines should be avoided while pregnant.

For example the MMR vaccination should be avoided since it contains live virus.

Is anyone familiar on how USCIS views this?

Is it possible to do the exam now and return for these vaccinations after the baby is born?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

1. blood titre test will be able to tell with some certainty exactly what vaccinations she's had before.

2. many of the shots are age specific and

3. many of the shots are waived for a pregnant person. The civil surgeon will know all about it, but ask in case you get a slow-brained one.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Calling the Dr office is a ####### shoot, like calling USCIS you are likely to get a different answer most of the time. If you list more information in your profile you might get a CS suggestion in your area and as Darnell stated the Dr. will or should know what to do. My wife received a brief exam, he reviewed the x-rays, a new blood test (has to be within 30 days), TB test and she was done.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Timeline

Called our local health department and scheduled a TDAP vaccination and the Man2/Mantoux TB skin test. The cost is $9 for the TDAP and $15 for the Man2.

The other required vaccinations MMR and vericella she doesn't get since she is pregnant.

She also needed a blood test checking for syphilis and gonorrhea, but those were just recently checked with her prenatal blood work.

One civil surgeon said she did not need the Hep B vaccination, the other said she needed but its not required since she is pregnant. We are still trying to see if any documentation can be found at home in China just to be safe.

Not so bad, $175 for the exam + $9 TDAP + $15 Man2 = $199 :)

Now just hope the civil surgeon doesn't make any mistakes on their end....

Fang, I think you are confused. You are going about this all wrong.

You don't go and get a bunch of shots. You don't decide which you need and get them. This is not something that is your responsibility. ANd I think you are confused about what shots you need. You don't need them all, you only need the ones you haven't ever had (or are due on). The CS will talk to you and determine which you really need.

You go to the Civil Surgeon and they perform their exam. You cannot get a TB test somewhere else and present it to the CS. They must do it themselves.

The appointment is in 2 parts. You go there the first day, get an exam. They tell you what shots you need. You can ask them the cost for those, and you can ask them if they will accept you getting them elsewhere in the meantime. If they say yes, then you can go get them. Then you go back in a few days and show the results of your TB test and get your I-693 in a sealed envelope.

The CS knows what is contraindicated for pregnancy. Don't worry. If you need something that you cant get, then there is a box "contraindicated for pregnancy."

My husband didn't have any records either, but the CS used knowledge of his country to determine what shots he had had and he only needed one shot. The CS told him to go get the one shot for free at the county health clinic.

The CS quote you got includes the TB test and probably an X-ray (if needed).

So don't don't schedule shots and TB tests on your own. That's not how it works and you will be subjecting your wife to extra needles. The CS actually has to do these test themselves. That is what they are signing off on.

Book an appointment with a CS. That is what you do.

CSs are not stupid, they are doctors who go through extra training to also be a CS (they are real doctors with real practices who are also CSs).

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Fang, I think you are confused. You are going about this all wrong.

You don't go and get a bunch of shots. You don't decide which you need and get them. This is not something that is your responsibility. ANd I think you are confused about what shots you need. You don't need them all, you only need the ones you haven't ever had (or are due on). The CS will talk to you and determine which you really need.

You go to the Civil Surgeon and they perform their exam. You cannot get a TB test somewhere else and present it to the CS. They must do it themselves.

The appointment is in 2 parts. You go there the first day, get an exam. They tell you what shots you need. You can ask them the cost for those, and you can ask them if they will accept you getting them elsewhere in the meantime. If they say yes, then you can go get them. Then you go back in a few days and show the results of your TB test and get your I-693 in a sealed envelope.

The CS knows what is contraindicated for pregnancy. Don't worry. If you need something that you cant get, then there is a box "contraindicated for pregnancy."

My husband didn't have any records either, but the CS used knowledge of his country to determine what shots he had had and he only needed one shot. The CS told him to go get the one shot for free at the county health clinic.

The CS quote you got includes the TB test and probably an X-ray (if needed).

So don't don't schedule shots and TB tests on your own. That's not how it works and you will be subjecting your wife to extra needles. The CS actually has to do these test themselves. That is what they are signing off on.

Book an appointment with a CS. That is what you do.

CSs are not stupid, they are doctors who go through extra training to also be a CS (they are real doctors with real practices who are also CSs).

I was actually advised by the CS office that she should get the TDAP and Man2 at the county health department, it would save the on costs and they could get them done earlier than if we scheduled for them at the CS office.

So I confirmed all these details before I put up the last post.

After reading your reply I called again and spoke with a different nurse at the CS office and again confirmed we would be bringing in these vaccination and TB test records and asked if that is acceptable. She said it is fine and that other than reviewing these records the exam takes about five minutes, then at the end they will provide the sealed envelope.

Also our county health department does the I-693 exams. I told them my wife will get these vaccinations and the Man2 for her immigration exam and we will take them to another doctor because the CS at the health department was booked up until July.

So lets hope everything is in order!

yeah My Civil Surgeon asked me to get the shots required by the local health department before I showed up. The ones needed for my age group. Usually to avoid billing confusion with health insurance companies. The TB test has to be done by the CS.

Yeah, Harpa, the Civil Surgeons actually accept exams from other places, a few weeks ago I had my TB test done at my university health services for free and they accepted it, same with blood titers, vaccines, etc. I do agree that if you want to follow the exact list of things on 693 then you will end up having much more unnecessary vaccines and titers and tests than needed; but it is definitely a good strategy to already go to the first appointment with the CS with proof of all the things you are SURE they will ask for.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Calling the Dr office is a ####### shoot, like calling USCIS you are likely to get a different answer most of the time. If you list more information in your profile you might get a CS suggestion in your area and as Darnell stated the Dr. will or should know what to do. My wife received a brief exam, he reviewed the x-rays, a new blood test (has to be within 30 days), TB test and she was done.

The CS may, or may not accept the medical records (shots, etc.) from other health care providers. After all, it is up to the CS as to whether they will sign the I-693, attesting for other health care providers' work. If you find a CS that is wiling to do that - good for you. If not, shop around and see if you can find one that will do that.

YMMV.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

so, the CS is attached to the county health department, and the county health department administers the shots.

COOL - there is linkage there, then. So, this onus of 'linkage needed' is taken care of by the CS. That's a plus, as the CS doesn't have to worry about validity of the clinic giving the shots, as he's already attached to that medical unit.

Yay ! You dodged a bullet, without too much effort.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

We just got back from the health department. Got the Man2 TB test done, will go back in two days for the results.

Spoke with the CS again. Triple confirmed everything. They will accept the Man2 test from the health department. Regarding the vaccinations, they said I should speak with our prenatal doctor and request a letter stating that she is pregnant and should not get these immunizations at this time. Everything has been done according to what our CS instructed. I'm sure each one has their own process, seems ours was easy to work with.

I guess we will see on Friday when we take everything in, they say we will leave with the sealed envelope.

Timeline

so, the CS is attached to the county health department, and the county health department administers the shots.

COOL - there is linkage there, then. So, this onus of 'linkage needed' is taken care of by the CS. That's a plus, as the CS doesn't have to worry about validity of the clinic giving the shots, as he's already attached to that medical unit.

Yay ! You dodged a bullet, without too much effort.

Actually our CS is not from the health department, our health department's CS was backed up until July!

But as I mentioned everything has been clearly explained and triple confirmed, lets hope nothing changes haha.

Timeline

drats, i mis-read, somehow.

Regardless - I'm so happy it's working out for you guys and you finally have chosen a path.

Sure, it was a months-long conversation here at VJ, but FINALLY you guys are doing something.

Go Get Em, and Good Luck !

Timeline

drats, i mis-read, somehow.

Regardless - I'm so happy it's working out for you guys and you finally have chosen a path.

Sure, it was a months-long conversation here at VJ, but FINALLY you guys are doing something.

Go Get Em, and Good Luck !

Haha yes it did take a few to sort out!

Well we will be sure to contribute anything we can as we move along, and I'm sure we will hit a spot where advice is needed again good.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.