Inspiration Giver

Tax Transcripts - maiden name by mistake!

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello Guys,

This is my first time here,and I am really happy I found this Forum!

Here is my question:

I am starting to gather the docs for the ROC. My married name is both my maiden name - (hi fin) and my Husband's name. My old SS was on my maiden name and I changed the name on it in September of last year. My Husband and I filed taxes jointly, but my W-2 had my maiden name on it. I just checked our tax return and saw that there is my maiden name on it, not the double one, which should of been instead... will it cause any problems? All other documents such as joint bank account have my married name. Should I take any action and try to change it on 2012 tax return? I am not even sure it is possible to do now, we have already received our refund. The reason why I did not notice it before is because our accountant was filing our papers, and he basically used the name that was on my W-2.

Please give me an advice.

Thank you.

Inspiration

Hello Guys,

This is my first time here,and I am really happy I found this Forum!

Here is my question:

I am starting to gather the docs for the ROC. My married name is both my maiden name - (hi fin) and my Husband's name. My old SS was on my maiden name and I changed the name on it in September of last year. My Husband and I filed taxes jointly, but my W-2 had my maiden name on it. I just checked our tax return and saw that there is my maiden name on it, not the double one, which should of been instead... will it cause any problems? All other documents such as joint bank account have my married name. Should I take any action and try to change it on 2012 tax return? I am not even sure it is possible to do now, we have already received our refund. The reason why I did not notice it before is because our accountant was filing our papers, and he basically used the name that was on my W-2.

Please give me an advice.

Thank you.

Inspiration

It amazes me who many people going thru the immigration process worry about a name--is it okay if I still have my maiden name? Do I have to change my name to my husband's? How will not having my husband's name affect my AOS or ROC? It is just a name. If it was guaranteed that if you changed your last name to Smith you would be approved than every scammer would do so. That is not the case. The USCIS wants to see you taking risks with assets with your spouse like any normal married couple. They want to see tax returns that are filed as married--jointly or seperately depending on what makes sense for YOUR tax situation. My wife's name was incorrectly spelled when we filed in 2010 as I did a paper return to claim her as a legal permant resident for tax purposes and had to include that signed letter with the tax return. I just checked the next year to see if the spelling for corrected when I filed electronically. As long as your SSN is correct, the name is not that important.

Relax and focus on more important things like what is for dinner tonightyes.gif and who is gong to cook it. As long as you have the other information, the name thing is not very important.

Good luck,

Dave

Filed: Timeline

It amazes me who many people going thru the immigration process worry about a name--is it okay if I still have my maiden name? Do I have to change my name to my husband's? How will not having my husband's name affect my AOS or ROC? It is just a name. If it was guaranteed that if you changed your last name to Smith you would be approved than every scammer would do so. That is not the case. The USCIS wants to see you taking risks with assets with your spouse like any normal married couple. They want to see tax returns that are filed as married--jointly or seperately depending on what makes sense for YOUR tax situation. My wife's name was incorrectly spelled when we filed in 2010 as I did a paper return to claim her as a legal permant resident for tax purposes and had to include that signed letter with the tax return. I just checked the next year to see if the spelling for corrected when I filed electronically. As long as your SSN is correct, the name is not that important.

Relax and focus on more important things like what is for dinner tonightyes.gif and who is gong to cook it. As long as you have the other information, the name thing is not very important.

Good luck,

Dave

Your post is very funny lol smile.png It made my day! I read a lot of posts here and now paying attention to the detail that might not be so important, I guess.

And yes, focusing on dinner with my Husband is so much more pleasant!

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Good luck to you too!

I.G.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

It takes a while to get all the name stuff changed, just be sure you put the application name for AOS like you want your green card to appear.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.