zhiggins

Visa Expiration, timeline questions

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello, I am trying to find out a couple things about the application process for attaining a B2 visa. Mainly they are timeline related.

Once a DS-160 is submitted, an interview conducted, fees paid, how long does it normally take before approval, and if it varies, what is the typical wait period (e.g. between 2 - 6 weeks)?

Once approved, how much time is available before your visa expires; is this set or does it vary depending on the case?

Last question for now (it's a lot I know, trying to be efficient =D) is what is the longest allowed period for a visit to the U.S.? (In this case it is from Russia, specifically Moscow).

Really thanks for the help, trying to arrange a visit with my girlfriend and the main thing I'm having difficulty discovering is the timelines involved for each step, how long you can stay, etc. I would assume that means that there's a wide degree of variance but hoping someone with some experience in this area might be able to shed some light. Thanks again!

If you are approved then it doesn't take long.

It says here that Russian B2s are only good for 3 years. http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_5455.html?cid=8941

Your time in the US is maximum at 6 months, though it can be less. It is up to the people at the border. But, surely you have a plan for visiting in mind already, so why does it matter the max? Unless you are just making a story and then going to stay as long as possible...

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Haha! No no, just trying to find out the maximum in order to be able to make an exact plan. And truthfully our idea is to spend as much time as possible together, cohabit for a while so we know how we get along living together.

But anyway thanks so much for the reply, 3 years is more than I expected, and that's just the thing--all this information is new so I'm basically trying to get a picture in my mind of how it all works. Also great to know about the people at the border, I've been reading about having to fill out... I think the form is an I-94, something involving border security, but I'm still reading about that.

A US tourist visa for a single woman from Russia is not an easy thing to get. She will have to prove very solid ties to Russia and even then sometimes it's not enough. Also a tourist visa is not meant for cohabitating.

You may want to do some reading in the RUB forum about this, the folks there will be able to answer all of your questions.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/98-russia-ukraine-and-belarus/

Edited by Teddy B

The visa is a multi entry visa that allows you to request permission to enter the US. You can request and re-request entry with that visa. Each visit though, cannot be more than 6 months at a time. When you request entry with your visa, then they tell you how long you can stay (though usually people don't stay the max because they have lives to return to). Then you leave when you are done, and you can use your visa again for another go whenever. Of course, you can't de facto live in the US on your visa or come and go all the time to secretly live in the US. They will figure it out and take the visa away.

It's fairly idiot-proof. You don't need to know what to do, you just sit on the plane and go through the lines and people will tell you what to do. Yes you will fill out a I-94 but you don't really need to know that. The flight attendants will give you forms to fill out on the plane.

Have you travelled anywhere before? This is how visas work.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

If she is young and has never travelled outside of Russia, then her chances of getting a single entry tourist visa to the US is next to nil--not impossible but she would need very strong ties to Russia. Trying for a multi-year visa may not be the best idea unless she has travelled extensively. SInce my MIL has only been to FSU countries or Turkey, we opted for a single entry tourist visa and I was surprised that she was approved, but she is much older and not from Moscow.

If she does manage to get a tourist visa, the max it is good for is 6 months. You may need to be visiting her in Moscow and I have no idea how long a visa to Russia is valid for--I just know that it is 30 days for Kazakhstan.

Once you have an interview, it ususally goes very quickly for the visa to be issued. If she is denied, you can always apply again, but realize that the visa fee will not be refunded.

Another option is to meet in a country that both of you can visit fairly easily.

Good luck,

Dave

A US tourist visa for a single woman from Russia is not an easy thing to get. She will have to prove very solid ties to Russia and even then sometimes it's not enough. Also a tourist visa is not meant for cohabitating.

You may want to do some reading in the RUB forum about this, the folks there will be able to answer all of your questions.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/98-russia-ukraine-and-belarus/

Ok, thanks for the link and the advice!

The visa is a multi entry visa that allows you to request permission to enter the US. You can request and re-request entry with that visa. Each visit though, cannot be more than 6 months at a time. When you request entry with your visa, then they tell you how long you can stay (though usually people don't stay the max because they have lives to return to). Then you leave when you are done, and you can use your visa again for another go whenever. Of course, you can't de facto live in the US on your visa or come and go all the time to secretly live in the US. They will figure it out and take the visa away.

It's fairly idiot-proof. You don't need to know what to do, you just sit on the plane and go through the lines and people will tell you what to do. Yes you will fill out a I-94 but you don't really need to know that. The flight attendants will give you forms to fill out on the plane.

Have you travelled anywhere before? This is how visas work.

Ok, thanks so much for the clarity, good to know, especially about the port of entry/I-94 stuff. Only travel was with the military, nothing personal before, no.

If she is young and has never travelled outside of Russia, then her chances of getting a single entry tourist visa to the US is next to nil--not impossible but she would need very strong ties to Russia. Trying for a multi-year visa may not be the best idea unless she has travelled extensively. SInce my MIL has only been to FSU countries or Turkey, we opted for a single entry tourist visa and I was surprised that she was approved, but she is much older and not from Moscow.

If she does manage to get a tourist visa, the max it is good for is 6 months. You may need to be visiting her in Moscow and I have no idea how long a visa to Russia is valid for--I just know that it is 30 days for Kazakhstan.

Once you have an interview, it ususally goes very quickly for the visa to be issued. If she is denied, you can always apply again, but realize that the visa fee will not be refunded.

Another option is to meet in a country that both of you can visit fairly easily.

Good luck,

Dave

Great ok, so then a single-entry option is usually (or it least in our case) a more likely option? And I'll ask this in the RUB forum, but what is a good way to prove ties to Russia? Thanks so much.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.