Ms Niss

I need a joint sponsor or not ?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

my current income is above the poverty guideline,, i have my tax, pay stubs everythiung, in my employement letter they mentioned the employement dates, im unemployed since last month , do you think i have to find a joint sponsor , although my current income is enough , because in the affidavit of support in PART 6 Q4 : Sponsors employement .... there is choices .......and if i check uemployed since . April xxxxx....................they may put my spouse in AP during the interview ( 3 months later = The expected date of interview)what do you think may i need a joint sponsor now before i send my package to NVC to be secure and at least to know they will not ask for any joint sponsor later while i may be busy with my wife in her country ,

Thank you

I-751 

December 08, 2015: Sent I-751 to California service center

December 09, 2015: Package Delivered

December 14, 2015: Received NOA1

December 26, 2015: Received Bio Appt Letter

January 07, 2016: Bio Appt

July 18, 2016: Approval Decision Taken

July 21, 2016: Received NOA2                                     

N-400

January 23, 2017: Sent N-400 to Phoenix Lock box

January 24, 2017: Package Delivered

February 03, 2017: Received NOA1

February 10, 2017: Received Bio Appt Letter

February 24, 2017: Bio Appt

March 01, 2017: Inline For Interview

May 30, 2017: Received Interview Letter 

June 29, 2017: Interview (decision cannot be made, have to wait)

August 31,  2017: Decision taken( Found out online the status changed may be it was changed 2d )

September 11, 2017: Received Oath letter.

September 20, 2017: Oath

Thanks.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

They usually based everything from your Tax papers that you filed in IRS you should be fine if you just do it your own... But if you want to make sure you can also add a joint sponsor to play safe,

idea9dv.gifgoofy.gifdancin5hr.gifreading.gifrofl.gifcray5ol.gifwow.gifoops8rh.gifheart.gifreading.gif

AP is usually for additional background checks for criminal history or to make sure you aren't a person of concern. I doubt a period of unemployment would trigger it. They may delay the issuance of the visa until you supply a missing piece of information, but that is not the same as AP.

If your tax forms show consistent income that exceeds the requirement, that's excellent. But they will ask about your current employment at the interview, and the intending immigrant MUST NOT LIE. Get a co-sponsor in case one is needed, and make sure the new I-864 filing is taken to the interview by the immigrant. It may not cause a delay. Direct Consular Filers take their evidence to the interview, so the interviewer should know what to do with it there.

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

Timeline

Can i call NVC and ask them before i contact a joint sponsor ? the only issue i have now is ( contrat finished ) last month (April) because i'm not sure if they will accept joint sponsor for my case with a enough income or not?

I-751 

N-400

August 31,  2017: Decision taken( Found out online the status changed may be it was changed 2d )

Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

The income for the I-864 has to be current and ongoing. Past incomel, even if it exceeds the poverty level by a ot, does not count. You will need to find a new job or a co-sponsor.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Yes yes yes .. CALL and ask and they will tell u what to do .. dont do anything before u ask uscis or nvc whatever office ur file is at.

I've noticed you posting advice all over this forum, and your advice is at best hit and miss. Please stop advising if you don't know the answer.

Ms Niss should not call the NVC. They cannot give her advice in how to proceed. Her remarks may be made part of her file. The NVC reps might give advice out of a desire to be helpful, but if that advice is wrong, they cannot be held responsible for it.

When you are in doubt about your ability to qualify for an affidavit of support, and you can get a joint sponsor, by all means get one. If you are currently unemployed, and are unemployed at the time of the interview, you WILL need a joint sponsor. Don't fool yourself that the interviewing official won't ask, or that the NVC can advise you. Quite frankly I don't always trust the NVC to know how to escape a paper bag.

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

Timeline

peinguin thank you, we get paid although the contrat is over, they may renew it any time ,

Speedwell, Thank you so much , i have other question if you dont mind , my question is if i join a sponsor in affidavit of support to sponsor my wife even with my income ( above poverty guideline) extra documents ecccct it will cause no issue to ask my wife why we joined a sponsor ?

how we should answer the Q17 in DS-230 : sponsor's occupation : unemployed ?

how should i answer part 6 in i-864 : sponsor's employement i still get paid from my job should i write the name of employer or just mention i'm uemployed since xxx

thank you

I-751 

N-400

Thanks.

peinguin thank you, we get paid although the contrat is over, they may renew it any time ,

Speedwell, Thank you so much , i have other question if you dont mind , my question is if i join a sponsor in affidavit of support to sponsor my wife even with my income ( above poverty guideline) extra documents ecccct it will cause no issue to ask my wife why we joined a sponsor ?

how we should answer the Q17 in DS-230 : sponsor's occupation : unemployed ?

how should i answer part 6 in i-864 : sponsor's employement i still get paid from my job should i write the name of employer or just mention i'm uemployed since xxx

thank you

Ms Niss, if you are still getting paid while you wait for your contract to be renewed, it's hard to see how you are actually unemployed. Your employer is the person who pays you, even if they act as an agency to sell your work to a third party on contract. A better definition might be "furloughed", or "on temporary layoff", or "on contract hiatus", and you could say any of those things if you are given the space to write it. The situation could become permanent, though, so I recommend you do get the joint sponsor, especially if you are not renewed in time for the interview. The intending immigrant will be asked about it, so it will help you to be able to show pay stubs. It's all a bit weird, but the fact that you are getting paid and have a prospect of future work will be something that will help the interviewing official see you more favorably.

I just have one question. Are you really getting paid until they make a decision on your contract, or is it that you were really laid off and now you are getting "severance pay" for a limited time period? If you are still getting paid until a decision is made on renewing your contract, then it should be fine to put the name of the employer, because you are still getting money from them. If you had stopped getting money from them, or if you are getting paid on severance, then you would put "none" for your employer's name.

Getting a joint sponsor is common and will not cause an issue. The interviewing officer is concerned only with whether your wife will be a public charge. A joint sponsor means she won't be a public charge, so it's favorable.

Edited by speedwell

LATEST STEPS:

Timeline

Speedwell, i dont know how to thanks you, your help is much appreciated, i work with a compagny i still get money from them but i get more when they renew the contrat ,this is the way how we work .

i have my tax transcrit +pay stubs + bank account...... everything is cool

Since getting a joint sponsor is commun and will not cause an issue i can contact 1 person to be joint sponsor , i was just thinking they may tell my

wife why there is join sponsor if everything like they require, or may be to refile the form and have a seconed interview headbonk.gif (wrong thinking! except in the employment letter they mentioned that the contrat is finished in last month until renewing new one , i'll contat the joint sponsor, good ?

Edited by Ms Niss

I-751 

N-400

Thanks.

Speedwell, i dont know how to thanks you, your help is much appreciated, i work with a compagny i still get money from them but i get more when they renew the contrat ,this is the way how we work .

i have my tax transcrit +pay stubs + bank account...... everything is cool

Since getting a joint sponsor is commun and will not cause an issue i can contact 1 person to be joint sponsor , i was just thinking they may tell my

wife why there is join sponsor if everything like they require, or may be to refile the form and have a seconed interview headbonk.gif (wrong thinking! except in the employment letter they mentioned that the contrat is finished in last month until renewing new one , i'll contat the joint sponsor, good ?

No, I think they will understand that you have a joint sponsor because your situation is sort of unstable right now. It is likely they would ask you to get a joint sponsor if you did not have one. Go ahead and make your best case for yourself, and also do the joint sponsor. Good luck!

LATEST STEPS:

Timeline

Big thanks and Good luck to you, good.gif

I-751 

N-400

Thanks.

I agree with Speedwell. If you have an unstable work environment (it's contract dependent) you should definitely get a joint sponsor to cover your butt. :) Best wishes!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Thank you NIKIR , i appreciate your help , good luck to you smile.png

I-751 

N-400

Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.