mota bhai

Republicans want to kill Obamacare so much, they refuse to try to fix it

63 posts in this topic

So Obamacare is funded by the people? Sorry for the questions, since I am removed from this situation I have very little knowlede of it.

Everything run by the gov't is funded by the people.

Ok got it. So would people's salary be affectly greatly? I'm trying to look at all the pieces and see if it's more of a problem than a solution.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Timeline

So Obamacare is funded by the people? Sorry for the questions, since I am removed from this situation I have very little knowlede of it.

The IRS is supposed to keep track of who does and does not have insurance. No insurance, you pay a fine, insignificant the first year, but increasing in amount over the next few years. That is one of the funding mechanisms for the new bureaucracy and for funding the subsidies for low income folks. Some of the other ways of paying for the program include a tax on premiums for certain overly generous employee medical plans.

Ok got it. So would people's salary be affectly greatly? I'm trying to look at all the pieces and see if it's more of a problem than a solution.

I believe when all is said and done that just about everyone will end up paying more than what they are now, how much more remains to be seen. The good thing about Obamacare is that it penalizes the people who refuse to get insurance, so there's no more free rides for those that use the emergency room as their healthcare system.

I got a better picture of it now. What is the GOP's answer to this system if they are so against it?

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

I believe when all is said and done that just about everyone will end up paying more than what they are now, how much more remains to be seen. The good thing about Obamacare is that it penalizes the people who refuse to get insurance, so there's no more free rides for those that use the emergency room as their healthcare system.

Unless you happen to be destitute, or unlawfully present in the country. At the emergency room, nothing will change. Hospitals will still have to absorb that cost -- for the urban areas, even more so.

I got a better picture of it now. What is the GOP's answer to this system if they are so against it?

Normal stuff - deregulating medical insurers, so that they can sell policies across state lines, and capping tort liability. They say their alternative would keep all the popular reforms in current law, just implement them via a series of smaller bills, rather than one huge omnibus bill that nobody has read.

I think that Obamacare should be optional, since I am going to take a guess and say that folks that can afford private health care don't want it.

What do you mean "optional". What part of Obamacare should be optional? The carrying of health care insurance? Can't make that optional while also guaranteeing coverage. And if you have people without coverage, you need to be willing to let them suffer and die if they can't afford to pay the ER lest you suggest that I pay for free riders which is what I do today. I'm tired of it.

It doesn't cover everyone, and the number of uninsured actually increases under Obamacare. If that was its stated purpose, it fails.

It doesn't cover everyone, that's true. But where do you come up with the number of uninsured increasing? Can you point me to a source on that?

Sure, we have 24 states that opted out of the expanded Medicaid provisions basically saying that the citizens in their states will only bear the cost of Obamacare but not reap the benefit. That's a stupid decision on the part of state legislatures to burden their populations with additional costs while depriving them of the economic benefits that those costs were supposed to bring along. But I don't know that this will result in less people being covered than are covered today. It only means that less people will be covered that were originally envisioned.

It doesn't cover everyone, that's true. But where do you come up with the number of uninsured increasing? Can you point me to a source on that?

https://www.google.com/search?q=number+of+uninsured+actually+increases+under+Obamacare

Not mine. I have carried insurance for as long as I've been here. Part of my premium pays for those that rather free ride. As people will be mandated to buy their coverage if they can afford it, in theory I should be less on the hook for their expenses.

That brings back an article from Forbes that talks about how all these newly insured Americans will cause medical claims to rise and health care spending overall to explode. It dsoes not talk about fewer insured but more and sees that as a bad thing.

What do you mean "optional". What part of Obamacare should be optional? The carrying of health care insurance? Can't make that optional while also guaranteeing coverage. And if you have people without coverage, you need to be willing to let them suffer and die if they can't afford to pay the ER lest you suggest that I pay for free riders which is what I do today. I'm tired of it.

What I am saying is if someone is rich and paying for private and personal health care, they should have the option to do so. Someone at work broke it down for me in their own terms, that's what I mean. If someone can't afford healthcare then Obamacare should be no problem, if some rich person who wants their own, should be able to get it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

What I am saying is if someone is rich and paying for private and personal health care, they should have the option to do so. Someone at work broke it down for me in their own terms, that's what I mean. If someone can't afford healthcare then Obamacare should be no problem, if some rich person who wants their own, should be able to get it.

They can buy individual insurance through the exchange. Is that what the problem is, you want to be able to buy outside the exchange?

They can buy individual insurance through the exchange. Is that what the problem is, you want to be able to buy outside the exchange?

I don't have a problem. My insurance is Tri-care. My question was what's the outrage over free health care.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg