Nate&Elena

RFE HELP FROM UKRAINE

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Sorry to hear about your problems, we used O for everything, did not put Elena for other names used. Her birth certificate will be the only thing with E. This is the only document with that name that will be shown at the embassy in Kiev. It will not need to be explained at the embassy as it is a common change of the name, and understood in this country. Her Visa will and should be issued exactly like her foreign passport, hence why we used everything with O on all documents. Also to add, her parents names will be on the birth certificate. Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Here is my FRE from CSC. "The spelling of my fiancée name" My Elena was born in Russia/Ukraine in 1979, so she has a Russian birth certificate, her first name is spelled "ELENA". In 1991, the Ukraine separated from Russia, her name on all documents then became Ukraine spelling "OLENA". CSC wants evidence, in some photo identification manner with each name. "Basically prove that Elena and Olena is the same person. No such photo evidence exist to prove she was Elena,....she was 1-12 years old at the time. Only a birth certificate, CSC seems to want more. Many others here have had to have this problem. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

I didn't get any RFE but I ran into this problem too and at the last minutes changed all of our documents to reflect the Ukrainian spelling. My girl is Юлия but on her passport it reads Iuliia. So we changed all the documents to read the funny Iuliia name and then in the box where it says "Please write any other name in different languages she may use" In this spot I put Юлия (Russian). We are obviously still waiting. It's been almost 3 months now and no change in our K1 Visa Status yet. So if she has a passport or birth certificate use those names...all the documents have to match. I've never spelled my girls name Iuliia EVER! But for Western Union and Visa documents I have to. She herself even goes by the Russian spelling. I hope you get this fixed so you can move on.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Gmedia,....you are very correct my friend. I just found out last night myself from Elena....her Ukraine Passport does have both Russian/In the back, and Ukraine shown in the front of this document with her picture attached. I hope this is all CSC needs. We were informed by a lady who translates documents in Odessa, this is the norm with many Ukraine applications with K1 Visa's. The Russian/Ukraine difference in spelling is a common issue. I am having her Russian Birth Certificate Translated to Ukraine, and then to English. Even though it is not a picture document. Just to reaffirm the spelling difference. This is very unfortunate so many Ukraine ladies born before 1991(Old Russia Birth Certificates) probably deal with this issue. Heads up on this Ukraine K1 Applicants,.....

This is what my girl had. She had her normal passport then went and got her travel passport before we did the K1 Visa, this is what shows her name that we used. Resubmit the changes and I think you will be straight....don't forget to write her full name in Russian in the space "Other names used in different languages" This links the two names to the same person.

• 3 years later...

Here is my FRE from CSC. "The spelling of my fiancée name" My Elena was born in Russia/Ukraine in 1979, so she has a Russian birth certificate, her first name is spelled "ELENA". In 1991, the Ukraine separated from Russia, her name on all documents then became Ukraine spelling "OLENA". CSC wants evidence, in some photo identification manner with each name. "Basically prove that Elena and Olena is the same person. No such photo evidence exist to prove she was Elena,....she was 1-12 years old at the time. Only a birth certificate, CSC seems to want more. Many others here have had to have this problem. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Hi! I ran into this old post as now I might have the same dilemma since I am going to naturalize and want change my name to Elena. Then I am thinking why I should legally change it if there was never any court order to change it to Olena from the first place. They just substituted my original Russian name Elena with the Ukrainian equivalent Olena. Would be the same to call Michael as Michaylo or Mihail. Funny isn't it?

Why didn't you translate her inner passport and present them. All Ukrainian passports have one page in Ukrainian and one in Russian....Didn't she have the same?

P.S. Sorry, I didn't notice your comment that you already figured it out with the passport but would be curious to know how it worked out for you at the end and which name are used on stateside documents now?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Old thread is now closed to further comment.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.