Nate&Elena

RFE HELP FROM UKRAINE

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Here is my FRE from CSC. "The spelling of my fiancée name" My Elena was born in Russia/Ukraine in 1979, so she has a Russian birth certificate, her first name is spelled "ELENA". In 1991, the Ukraine separated from Russia, her name on all documents then became Ukraine spelling "OLENA". CSC wants evidence, in some photo identification manner with each name. "Basically prove that Elena and Olena is the same person. No such photo evidence exist to prove she was Elena,....she was 1-12 years old at the time. Only a birth certificate, CSC seems to want more. Many others here have had to have this problem. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

I have no idea how these things work in Russia/Ukraine, but wouldn't her name still be the exact same in cyrillic? Is the change in the romanization only or did it change in the original script also? Could this be a case of the usual cultural bias of the USCIS, with them thinking that she had a legal name change, similar to that done in the US and they want proof of that, which obviously wouldn't exist?

Sorry, wish I could help more, hopefully other folks have better input....

“The minute I heard my first love story I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was.
Lovers don't finally meet somewhere.
They're in each other all along.”

Jalal ad-Din Rumi

Did you include an explanation for the discrepancy in your initial submission?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Nate i just thought of something else other then what I e-mailed to you. does her mom still have her old passport , reason is maybe she is in her moms old passport from when she was to young to have her own passport!

Timeline

Mark, I will check, CSC is calling out in the RFE letter they want something with a actual picture on it. Anything before 1991, she would be a kid, the picture would be useless. I don't understand the problem with CSC.

Timeline

Did you include an explanation for the discrepancy in your initial submission?

No , I did not explain the difference in the spelling to CSC. I made the assumption that doing thousands of applications each year, every year since 1992 from the Ukraine. They would act more informed.....my mistake(((((

Mark, I will check, CSC is calling out in the RFE letter they want something with a actual picture on it. Anything before 1991, she would be a kid, the picture would be useless. I don't understand the problem with CSC.

Can you cite a relevent law that states that the official language went from Russian to Ukrainian and all official papers were thus changed? That is about the only thing you can do that I can think of. Maybe you can get a government official to state this with proper seals and such and then have that translated. We have an official document in the US where you state under oath that Doris and Arlene are actually the same person--at least that is what I had to do with my Mother as she used both names. Maybe she can do such a thing to the satisfaction of the USCIS.

Good luck,

Dave

Timeline

I have no idea how these things work in Russia/Ukraine, but wouldn't her name still be the exact same in cyrillic? Is the change in the romanization only or did it change in the original script also? Could this be a case of the usual cultural bias of the USCIS, with them thinking that she had a legal name change, similar to that done in the US and they want proof of that, which obviously wouldn't exist?

Sorry, wish I could help more, hopefully other folks have better input....

Russian birth certificate is Elena....English translation is Elena......Ukraine translation is Olena. She has never had any official document made with her name Elena with a pic. 1979-1991. She was 12 years old, she would not even look like her picture. This is stupid((((((. CSC acts like they don't know the Ukraine was once Russia.

Timeline

We had same problem. My fiancé had to go somewhere in Poltava to get official name change corrected. Then we had to get name change translated. But there was no picture evidence. It took 2 months to get change of name. Luckily she did this before we filed I-129f. Call CSC and ask for supervisor. so you will know exactly what to do.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yeah, it's a problem with Ukraine that they changed a lot of names to be "Ukrainian". How did CSC even find out about the name discrepancy? Did you specify it as "other name used" on the form? I assume all her current documents would show the Ukrainized name, and only the birth certificate would show the Russian version.

1/4/13 - I129-F Sent | 1/8/13 - Received by USCIS
1/10/13 - NOA1 to VSC | 1/11/13 - Text/Email | 1/17/13 - Hard Copy Received
1/16/13 - Alien Registration Number changed
5/24/13 or 5/29/13 - Case Transferred to TSC
7/2/13 - NOA2 from TSC! (173 days from NOA1) | 7/6/13 - Hard Copy Received
7/18/13 - Shipped to NVC | 7/26/13 - Received at NVC and case number assigned
7/29/13 - In transit to consulate | 7/31/13 - Received by consulate
8/20/13 - Medical - Passed | 8/21/13 - Interview - Approved!
8/28/13 - Passport with visa ready to pickup from courier
10/17/13 - POE - JFK
10/28/13 - Applied for SSN and marriage license | 11/2/13 - SS card received
11/21/13 - Wedding

12/30/13 - I485/I765/I131 Sent | 1/2/14 - Received by USCIS
1/3/14 - NOA1 to NBC | 1/16/14 - Hard Copy Received
2/4/14 - Biometrics
3/7/14 - AP and EAD approved!
3/11/14 - AP/EAD card mailed | 3/14/14 - Received
4/10/14 - Interview Waiver letter
6/16/14 - Approved! | 6/21/14 - GC Received

5/2/16 - I-751 Sent | 5/5/16 - Received by USCIS
5/6/16 - NOA1 to VSC
6/14/16 - Biometrics

4/19/17 - Approved! | 4/22/17 - Letter received | 5/4/17 - GC Received

They do a lot of these, but they are not mind readers. O and E can seem like a big change. It seems like you want them to be mind readers instead of just explaining. Did you even put Elena in "other names used?" Or did you try to apply for an Elena with Olena documentation? (I have a feeling this is what you did since you are calling her Elena). The visa name needs to be in the passport name.

A lot of people deal with name discrepancies and report no problems. Something in what you did was off. You can get mad about it or just send back a detailed explanation with evidence.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

Can you cite a relevent law that states that the official language went from Russian to Ukrainian and all official papers were thus changed? That is about the only thing you can do that I can think of. Maybe you can get a government official to state this with proper seals and such and then have that translated.

I would try something along these lines. The USCIS often makes retarded and unreasonable requests, assuming that the whole world functions the same way as the US, so you have to steer them in the right direction- make it clear to them that her name hasn't actually changed, just the English translation. Maybe include proof also in Russian and Ukrainian, highlighting the name in original script so they can visually compare and conclude it's the same?

“The minute I heard my first love story I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was.
Lovers don't finally meet somewhere.
They're in each other all along.”

Jalal ad-Din Rumi

Timeline

Hi-

Guys, you are already have the evidence. Olena has her Ukrainian passport. You can found her first name and last name in 2 languages in her Ukrainian passport :

on the first page - passport number, photo, her first name, father's name, last name, date and place of birth (ALL IN UKRAINIAN)

on the 2nd page - her first name IN RUSSIAN, father's name, last name, date and place of birth (The same info as on the 1st page, but IN RUSSIAN).

Maybe you can just write an explanation letter and highlight difference in spelling in Ukrainian and in Russian.

Please let me know if you have any questions or you need more details.

Thanks and good luck!

Edited by Gmedia

Timeline

Gmedia,....you are very correct my friend. I just found out last night myself from Elena....her Ukraine Passport does have both Russian/In the back, and Ukraine shown in the front of this document with her picture attached. I hope this is all CSC needs. We were informed by a lady who translates documents in Odessa, this is the norm with many Ukraine applications with K1 Visa's. The Russian/Ukraine difference in spelling is a common issue. I am having her Russian Birth Certificate Translated to Ukraine, and then to English. Even though it is not a picture document. Just to reaffirm the spelling difference. This is very unfortunate so many Ukraine ladies born before 1991(Old Russia Birth Certificates) probably deal with this issue. Heads up on this Ukraine K1 Applicants,.....

Timeline

Yeah, it's a problem with Ukraine that they changed a lot of names to be "Ukrainian". How did CSC even find out about the name discrepancy? Did you specify it as "other name used" on the form? I assume all her current documents would show the Ukrainized name, and only the birth certificate would show the Russian version.

Divorced Papers show the difference.........

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.