6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Since my fiance and I will only be married a VERY short time (a couple weeks) before filing for AOS, we dont have much evidence yet to show.

Of course we have tons of pictures and some plane tickets back and forth from his country to mine for both of us- but I've read that I should just save that for the interview?

My main question is about affidavits and how they work. Should I send these now? And I understand that for each person that does one they should include

• name, address, place of birth, relationship, details on marriage

but are these just informal documents written by the person and signed? For example I wanted to have a couple family members and friends do them to provide some "proof" that our relationship and marriage is real. I've read somewhere that I need to do this formally at a city hall or something??

Can anyone tell me their advice or how they went about this.

Thanks!

06/06/2013: Sent in AOS Packet!

06/10/2013: USCIS Received AOS Packet

06/12/2013: Received NOA Text Confirmations of Packages

06/15/2013: Received Hard Copy of NOA

07/03/2013: Biometrics Appointment Letter sent by USCIS

07/10/2013: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

07/11/2013: Walk in Biometrics in Gardena,CA

07/17/2013: I-485 status changed to Testing and Interview

08/12/2013: Received status update e-mail with interview date

08/14/2013: EAD Approved and went into card production (via electronic notification)

08/14/2013: AP approved (via electronic notification)

08/17/2013: Received Hard Copy of interview notice

08/20/2013: Received status update e-mail saying combo card is being mailed!

08/22/2013: Received Combo Card in the mail smile.png

09/11/2103: AOS Interview at 10:50am!

09/11/2013: APPROVED!! good.gif

Filed: I-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Your question is more about bonafide marriage. If you have a lease showing common residence or a joint bank account, you don't need an affidavit.

here is what you should send to prove the truthfulness of your marriage:

- send a copy of your lease showing common residence (you can also send a copy of the past residence you shared). It's probably the most important thing to prove. Both your names should figure on the lease.

- If you have a joint bank account, send a statement of this account.

- create a folders with pictures of you related to your relationship (photos during trips, when you got married, with friends, with family), photos that will somehow prove that your marriage/relationship is true.

- attach prints and plane tickets you used to travel and visit each other.

Filed: Timeline

Thank you,

As I stated in the first post we wont have a lease or joint bank account before sending the papers because we will just have been married.

We currently live at my mothers house and plan to move out in about 4 months- but obviously cant prove that yet.

Any ideas of the affidavit?

06/06/2013: Sent in AOS Packet!

06/10/2013: USCIS Received AOS Packet

06/12/2013: Received NOA Text Confirmations of Packages

06/15/2013: Received Hard Copy of NOA

07/03/2013: Biometrics Appointment Letter sent by USCIS

07/10/2013: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

07/11/2013: Walk in Biometrics in Gardena,CA

07/17/2013: I-485 status changed to Testing and Interview

08/12/2013: Received status update e-mail with interview date

08/14/2013: EAD Approved and went into card production (via electronic notification)

08/14/2013: AP approved (via electronic notification)

08/17/2013: Received Hard Copy of interview notice

08/20/2013: Received status update e-mail saying combo card is being mailed!

08/22/2013: Received Combo Card in the mail smile.png

09/11/2103: AOS Interview at 10:50am!

09/11/2013: APPROVED!! good.gif

The affidavit is just a letter that you send in for evidence of a bona fide marriage. The more personal the better. The person should at the least explain who they are to you, what they know of your marriage, how they learned of your relationship, how often they see you, etc. Also they should include their vital information, address, phone, etc. You don't need t get it notarized or done at city hall (not sure where that rumor came from).

Your mom can and should write a letter saying that you two live with her.

We applied one day after we married.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Thank you,

As I stated in the first post we wont have a lease or joint bank account before sending the papers because we will just have been married.

We currently live at my mothers house and plan to move out in about 4 months- but obviously cant prove that yet.

Any ideas of the affidavit?

You can get both a lease and a joint bank account without being married first. I'd suggest opening up a joint account ASAP, and start co-mingling your finances.

AOS JOURNEY FROM VISA WAIVER PROGRAM
EAD (I-765) APPROVED IN 30 DAYS
I-485 APPROVED IN 96 DAYS
• I-130 APPROVED IN 96 DAYS

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Full timeline (click show)

Day 1 - April 10th, 2013 - I-485, I-130, I-765 Mailed

Day 2 - April 11th, 2013 - Delivery confirmation, Chicago

Day 9 - April 19th, 2013 - Text NOAs for all three - NBC

Day 12 - April 22nd, 2013 - NOAs in mail for all three - NBC

Day 15 - April 25th, 2013 - Biometric walk-in at Fort Worth

Day 28 - May 8th, 2013 - RFE received (I-485) - immediately responded by fax

Day 30 - May 10th, 2013 - EAD approved, card sent to production

Day 35 - May 15th, 2013 - RFE processed for I-485

Day 38 - May 18th, 2013 - EAD card arrives in mail!

Day 41 - May 21st, 2013 - I-485 updated to "Testing and Interview"

Day 51 - May 31st, 2013 - Interview scheduled for July 16th, Dallas

Day 62 - June 11th, 2013 - Started work as a Systems Engineer (IT)!

Day 96 - July 16th, 2013 - Approved at interview in Dallas, Texas! (I-485)

Day 96 - July 16th, 2013 - I-485 updated to "Card/Document production", I-485 updated to "Approved, mailed welcome letter", I-130 updated to "Approved"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 104 - July 24th, 2013 - Green Card arrives in mail

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

to be honest, i think u should try and get a bank statement and lease agreement in both names, this will help u a lot, it took me 2 months to get all my paper work ready and u never know, ur case might be a quick one, i have seen people attending interview within 3 months of initial application. i heard that u can have those letters written by people that want to witness the marriage notarized. i submitted bank statement and lease agreement with insurance documents in both names. best of luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.