Rachel87

I need advice on what to do

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

I understand that you are in love and time becomes crucial.However, I have to agree with the person before me. Have you fiancee to fill out the K1, then you can come to the US under VWP -as long as you respect the 3 months requierements- , Once the three months have passed, no need to go to Italy, spend a week in Canada and come back until your K1 is approved.

-Getting a Lawyer not gonna make any changes time wise.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Do not speculate or advice on entering the USA with VWP with the intent of marrying AND STAYING- using the visa waiver program or a tourist visa with the intent of immigrating is visa fraud and discussing same is against our TOS ****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Keep it simple and honest. Do a K1 and your good.

January 15, 2012 met on line

April 18, 2012 met in person in Cebu

April 20, 2012 proposed

May 28, 2012 filed K1

June 6, 2012 received email K1 accepted.

August 28, 2012 NOA2 approved!!!!!!!

September 21, 2012 went back for vist number 2

Had a wonderful time!

Interview set for November 6

Flying out November 3 to be together

Arrived November 4

November 6, 2013 interview and approved

November 14, 2013 picked up visa!

November 29, 2013 arrived in Anchorage

November 30, 2013 applied for marriage license

December 15, 2013 civil wedding

February 16, 2013 AOS filed

February 23, 2013 NOA 1 reviewed

April 4, 2013 Biometric appointment

May 9, 2013 AOS intervie

May 9, 2013 Approved ap, ead and green card

May 18, 2013 received Green Card, EAD and AP in mail

I'll try to be brief: my boyfriend (American) and I (Italian) met while we were doing our masters together in Prague, but after we were done with the program and he moved back to the US the problems obviously started.. we finished the program last June, he spend the summer with me in Italy, then I stayed with him in the US for 83 days in August-Sept-October. Then I went to the US again this February for 3 months to do 2 non-credit courses at NYU ( I have certifications to prove that). I came back to Italy this morning, and before I left we agreed we want to get married to be together, however after reading all these forums and realizing how long all these processes are I'm not sure which one is the best option for me:

- K-1

- Getting married in Italy and then apply for a CR-1

- Getting married in Italy and apply for a K-3

- Go back to NY with the visa waiver in like 5 months with a plane ticket for only a week and then stay there and get married after 60 days

I really don't know what to do!! and obviously I don't want to be separated from him for too long...this whole thing has been so painful...

please I need advice!!!!!

Rachel

Your last alternative, as many have pointed out is not a legit one. Everybody in this forum (with maybe a handful of exceptions) has been, is or will be in the waiting while their petition is processed.

You are bringing forward that you are considering jumping the line, and while that might not be of much consequence at the individual level, other than considerably reducing your wait; it results in two things: people awaiting getting upset at least, and second, potentially causing others to follow same path, a path that is one of the reasons why everyone else has to wait: the abuse of the system which them everyone else after has to pay the consequences.

No one here can tell you to go ahead (TOS, etc), and everyone here (or most of at least) is trying to do it the right and honest way.

What do you think would happen if everyone here had done the "others do it that way" manner? Maybe at this point, there would not be a K-1 or CR-1, maybe there would not be even the possibility to visit while your petition is in process.

Hope you choose wisely.

Putting the visa waiting times aside for a moment have you asked yourself the following questions...

1. Where do you want to get married? (I really wanted to marry in my home country so K1 was never an option for me - it mattered to me that my parents could host the wedding etc)

2. How soon after entering the US do you need to work? (If the answer is immediately then you need the CR1 - the other options require some waiting for work permissions - some people get caught out by this)

3. Will you need to leave the US at all in the first 3-6 months after your arrival? (If so then again the CR1 is the easiest option - again some people get caught out by this)

In your situation if you don't have any issues with marrying in the US, not leaving the US for a while after getting married and not working for a while after getting married then you might as well do the K1 and file for it asap. Like tomorrow.

As you mention in your post the AOS from VWP (and as people have mentioned this is illegal with intent) you will have to wait several months before attempting another US entry. Your K1 petition could easily be approved by the and you would be over halfway to being reunited.

You'd be able to relax and enjoy saying goodbye to your home and family and friends. They'd be able to throw you a leaving party and post pics on Facebook etc without fear of being caught by the immigration authorities. You'd be able to talk about leaving freely in emails etc without fear that will catch you out later etc. You'll still be able to visit your fiance.

Honestly I think that everyone who comes from a VWP country had a moments thought about 'What if I just AOS'd" - and there are people on here who've done it and think those who take the other options are crazy. But in my case I didn't want to start out my marriage with that worry of being caught hanging over me. In the long term the risk didn't seem worth it.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I've lined out the options that are not available and put a reason why in bold and red. The options that are not lined out are your only choices.

- K-1

- Getting married in Italy and then apply for a CR-1

- Getting married in Italy and apply for a K-3 K3 is an obsolete visa type

- Go back to NY with the visa waiver in like 5 months with a plane ticket for only a week and then stay there and get married after 60 days ILLEGAL

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Yemen
Timeline

tell him to come to italy and get married then go back to us and apply for u just like everyone else does its the best way ..... even though he might be away for a while he can still come and visit

Timeline

You're right, it's not the right way of doing things, but still i know of people that were illegal in the US for years and then got married and got their green cards approved...These people clearly came to stay and stayed illegally, but I think that if the marriage is bona fide then the USCIS can't really deny an application..how can they know that the guy didn't pop the question not to see his girlfriend leave? It is hard to prove..I think they mainly look for those people that try to arrange marriages with strangers just to get a green card..but again I could be wrong

Honesty is always the best policy! I know many people talk of Karma. But I will say God is watching and many people do things illegally and get away with them but God will only bless those things that are done in honesty. Why bring more problems for later when if you do them right up front, in the long run not only will it be a smooth process but it will also prove beneficial, less headache. Just my thoughts!

Met online 9/2012

Courtship 3/1/2013

ClockWatch2.gif

Passport for USC 6/10 thru 28/2013 19 days

First face to face meeting Nov. 4th 2013 dancin5hr.gif

Married 19 November 2013 heart.gif

:energy: USCIS-TSC

5/3/2014 Filed I-130

11/3/2014 NOA-1

24/7/2014 NOA-2 {135 days} :dancing:

12/8/2014 Case Shipped {NVC} :dancing:

:energy: NVC

20/8/2014 NVC received

29/8/2014 NVC case #

31/8/2014 DS-261 submitted

3/9/2014 NVC billed AOS & paid

19/9/2014 AOS sent

30/9/2014 IV invoiced

3/10/2014 IV paid

21/10/2014 IV package sent

21/11/2014 Case complete :dance:(L)

03/12/2014 Interview scheduled

08/12/2014 NVC shipped to Embassy "In Transit"

12/12/2014 Ceac shows "Ready"

:energy:Consulate

15/12/2014 Consulate received

07-08/01/2015 Medical {Passed!!!!}

26/01/2015 Interview results {APPROVED} :dance:(L)

26/01/2015 DHL Air Waybill created online

28/01/2015 Air Waybill shows "In Transit" :yes:

29/01/2015 Visa ready for pick up {DHL}

02/02/2015 Visa in hand

26/02/2015 POE

The warmth of true friendship and the love that binds the hearts of husband and wife are a foretaste of heaven. God has ordained that there should be perfect love and perfect harmony between those who enter into the marriage relation. Let bride and bridegroom in the presence of the heavenly universe pledge themselves to love one another as God has ordained they should. {LYL}

Thought to share our journey for those who need the encouragement!

Timeline

Your last alternative, as many have pointed out is not a legit one. Everybody in this forum (with maybe a handful of exceptions) has been, is or will be in the waiting while their petition is processed.

You are bringing forward that you are considering jumping the line, and while that might not be of much consequence at the individual level, other than considerably reducing your wait; it results in two things: people awaiting getting upset at least, and second, potentially causing others to follow same path, a path that is one of the reasons why everyone else has to wait: the abuse of the system which them everyone else after has to pay the consequences.

No one here can tell you to go ahead (TOS, etc), and everyone here (or most of at least) is trying to do it the right and honest way.

What do you think would happen if everyone here had done the "others do it that way" manner? Maybe at this point, there would not be a K-1 or CR-1, maybe there would not be even the possibility to visit while your petition is in process.

Hope you choose wisely.

Amen I agree!! We are all here going through the same waiting game. " We" due to finances at this point have no way of moving forward to file our petition. Not even able to meet face to face yet. We have a very long way to go but hoping and praying for God to bless us in the future not only to meet but also to file w/co-sponsoring in place. But for now we just hold on to our Skype, emails phone calls all as ways of keeping in touch and strengthening each other from afar. Let's notgfet into the small percentage of individuals who choose to do things illegally causing the rest who are following the rules to suffer. So glad that even though there are many challenges and delays that the possibility of visas are available it could be worst as someone has mentioned.

Met online 9/2012

Courtship 3/1/2013

ClockWatch2.gif

Passport for USC 6/10 thru 28/2013 19 days

First face to face meeting Nov. 4th 2013 dancin5hr.gif

Married 19 November 2013 heart.gif

:energy: USCIS-TSC

5/3/2014 Filed I-130

11/3/2014 NOA-1

24/7/2014 NOA-2 {135 days} :dancing:

12/8/2014 Case Shipped {NVC} :dancing:

:energy: NVC

20/8/2014 NVC received

29/8/2014 NVC case #

31/8/2014 DS-261 submitted

3/9/2014 NVC billed AOS & paid

19/9/2014 AOS sent

30/9/2014 IV invoiced

3/10/2014 IV paid

21/10/2014 IV package sent

21/11/2014 Case complete :dance:(L)

03/12/2014 Interview scheduled

08/12/2014 NVC shipped to Embassy "In Transit"

12/12/2014 Ceac shows "Ready"

:energy:Consulate

15/12/2014 Consulate received

07-08/01/2015 Medical {Passed!!!!}

26/01/2015 Interview results {APPROVED} :dance:(L)

26/01/2015 DHL Air Waybill created online

28/01/2015 Air Waybill shows "In Transit" :yes:

29/01/2015 Visa ready for pick up {DHL}

02/02/2015 Visa in hand

26/02/2015 POE

The warmth of true friendship and the love that binds the hearts of husband and wife are a foretaste of heaven. God has ordained that there should be perfect love and perfect harmony between those who enter into the marriage relation. Let bride and bridegroom in the presence of the heavenly universe pledge themselves to love one another as God has ordained they should. {LYL}

Thought to share our journey for those who need the encouragement!

Here's the advice we got from our lawyer and this is what we did (like many here in VJ did, even without consulting a lawyer): My fiance filed for an I-129F and 5 months after we got our NOA2. Not bad at all.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Marry in the US, and adjust your status from Italy – It's illegal to stay in the US after marrying on a VWP – or apply now for a K1 Fiance Visa, which will allow you to marry in the US and stay there while you adjust your status. The K1 (129F) option tends to be a faster process.

We chose the K1 Visa path and are now living together as a a happy married couple good.gif

2015: ROC w/Divorce waiver

8/14/2015 - (Day 00) - Mailed ROC package to CSC - [uSPS: Priority w/delivery confirmation]
8/17/2015 - (Day 03) - Package Delivered
8/19/2015 - (Day 05) - Check cashed

9/15/2015 - Biometrics app. done

2/18/2016 - APPROVED w/o an interview!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.