dattilotech

Passport expiration from Phils to USA

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello;

What is the rule for a passports expiration, & use, in coming from Manila to USA? I would think that if it hasn't expired then it's good. But I'm hearing that perhaps it has to be used within 6 mos before it expires. This makes no sense to me, unless they're worried about the persons ability to return to their country etc. on it. Anyone have experience with this, or know more about it?

Thanks, in advance;

Rob & Jel

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Philippine passports must be renewed 6 months before the expiry date.

The Embassy/Consulate General advises all Philippine passport holders, whose passports are expiring within the next 6 months, to renew their passports if they intend to travel within the aforementioned period.

Source: http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/philippines-dc/consular-services-dc/faq-dc/

Edited by apple21

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

To travel internationally you must have at least 6 months left of validity on the passport. The consul/embassy will also not stamp a visa in a passport that is less than 6 months of validity on it.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to General Immigration Discussion -- topic can apply to holders of many visa types. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Timeline

Hello;

Thanks for the reply. We're hopefully days away from getting her packet from the Manila embassy. Her passport expires 1-27-14, So to me it sounds like we might be ok, if she flies before 7-26-13. It might be tight, but well, have to see how things go, because I hope were not waiting on a passport for another 6 weeks. I'm a 2013 July flier 8-2-13 noah1, so I ended up waiting 8 mos, 3 weeks.

Regards,

Rob & Jel (k1 filers)

Hello;

Thanks for the reply. We're hopefully days away from getting her packet from the Manila embassy. Her passport expires 1-27-14, So to me it sounds like we might be ok, if she flies before 7-26-13. It might be tight, but well, have to see how things go, because I hope were not waiting on a passport for another 6 weeks. I'm a 2013 July flier 8-2-13 noah1, so I ended up waiting 8 mos, 3 weeks.

Regards,

Rob & Jel (k1 filers)

Just one question--How will she travel internationally once you two are married, have filed for AP/EAD and the GC and received the GC? She still needs a valid passport to travel outside the US. She is approximately 4+ years away from being able to apply for USC. Is she going to remain in the US for 4+ years and not want to travel home or to the Carribean?

Have her apply and get a new passport NOW when it is easier for her to do so. Besides, why cut it so close when you just know Murphy will bite you and you will get approved on July 28th--it is the approval date not the application date that matters for the six months validity period. When they go to put the visa into the passport it must still be valid for six months. And then she has to travel before the six month period. Dude, you are not going to make it--sorry. It would be better to bite the bullet and just get a new passport while you are waiting and have the time before the interview. Let's say you do get the visa at 6 months plus 3 days. Can she travel before the six month mark? IF not, now she has to get a new passport and the old passport has the valid visa in it. Now you have to get the visa transferred to the new passport which will take time. Do yourself and her a favor and get a new passport NOW.

Dave

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.