slowlyman

Making life in America livable

56 posts in this topic

Here is to change the language in xp: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/int_pr_mui.mspx?mfr=true

Here is to change the language in 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/change-the-display-language

Here is to change the language in 8: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/language#1TC=t1

Another thing I thought about tonight is you should try and start to build credit. Once you get the social security number either go to your bank or through some place like Capitol One and get a secured credit card. Once you have the secured credit card then put the gas when you fill up the car and do that once or twice a month and then pay the bill in full when it comes. Sometimes I think the building the credit should be pinned someplace.

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

You might want to find the larger asian markets in the larger cities, prepare for a weekend jaunt OUT of your city, with her.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Another thing I thought about tonight is you should try and start to build credit. Once you get the social security number either go to your bank or through some place like Capitol One and get a secured credit card. Once you have the secured credit card then put the gas when you fill up the car and do that once or twice a month and then pay the bill in full when it comes. Sometimes I think the building the credit should be pinned someplace.

I talked with my bank and credit union and both suggested doing pretty much the same thing. They said to set up her own account and then have her take out a small secured loan of about $600. Then we should set up autopay to pay the loan off from her account in six months time. My credit union said if we did that at the bank and credit union at the same time, she would have good credit in about a year. Edit: repeat the process when the loan is paid off.

Edited by ToddT

November 27, 2012 - Married
February 01, 2013 - Mailed I-130 for wife and step kids
February 04, 2013 - Delivered to Phoenix Lock Box
February 08, 2013 - NOA1

May 28, 2013 - InfoPass at Dallas Field Office - Case assigned to an officer and now on her desk to be worked

June 01, 2013 - NOA2 for my wife but the kids had an RFE issued. (day 54 from NOA1)

June 01, 2013 - December 19, 2013 - Case "lost" at the Dallas Field Office
December 19, 2013 - mailed to NVC
January 08, 2014 - NVC received case
February 06, 2014 - NVC assigned case numbers

Timeline

My wife immigrated to the States in mid-March. Since we live in Florida, we didn't have to worry about the sweaters, and the weather is similar to that in Thailand, which is a plus.

Things that made transition easier for my wife:

- After just two days in the States, we went and stayed at a condo on the beach for 4 days. This gave my wife an "on vacation" feel while at the same time giving her a few days to get used to the different sights and sounds around her. It was a great few days and I believe it helped her transition quite a bit.

- My family was very welcoming. They all adore my wife and vice versa. My wife calls my parents "mom" and "dad," and it's all a very pleasant atmosphere. We get together at least once a week with various family members (parents, sisters, aunts, uncles, etc).

- She uses the iPhone I bought her to call her parents. There are two apps (Viber and Line) that use the Internet to place calls. I bought my in-laws an iPad prior to leaving Thailand, which supports those apps. At home, my wife's iPhone is connected to our wifi. Therefore, she uses that to call her parent's iPad at no extra charge. She can call back there every day if she wants at no extra cost to me.

- There are three Asian markets not too far from us. My wife raids the shelves there every few weeks and that keeps her happy in the food department. Some things there are a bit expensive, but it's a small price to pay for a happy wife.

- I bought my wife and iPad and she keeps up with her friends on that (Facebook & email). She also watches an array of Thai TV shows on that. It doubles as a nice picture/video taking device that she can then send to her friends and family in Thailand via email or on her Facebook page.

- She's been to see a doctor and a dentist. This could certainly have been put off, but having a doctor and dentist is important and it makes her feel more settled in.

- We shop...a lot. I took her out to the stores that she'll get the most use out of. It was trial and error for a while because she's not exactly a big woman, thus making it difficult to find clothes that fit her. Banana Republic has a petite section. Charlotte Russe (sp?) and Forever 21 are two other stores that have a lot of things she's able to wear. She also likes the MAC (make-up) store.

- We're currently looking for a house to buy, and that is something exciting for her to take part in. Once we have one, she'll enjoy furniture shopping.

- She goes to "school" a few nights a week. I have a bachelor's degree in ESL, so rather than paying someone else to teacher her English, I do that myself.

- There is a Cambodian-style Buddhist temple in our city, but neither of us want to go there (we're both Buddhists). The nearest Thai temple is a 3-hour drive away and we've yet to go there...will likely make that trip in two or three months. In the meantime, we do have some Buddhist ornaments around the home, and we'll be getting a spirit house when we purchase our new place. Our religion is important to us, but it's not something requiring us to go to a church once a week. We practice it the best we can given our location and the distance to a temple.

- Be prepared to teach her how to use various appliances (garbage disposal, washer, dryer, oven, etc).

There's likely nothing you are going to be able to do to keep her from getting homesick...it just happens. Best thing to do is be aware of it, and don't take offense if she gets frustrated at times and declares her desire to return to Thailand. My wife does this on occasion. It's not that she's unhappy in Florida, but rather because things are easier for her in Thailand, and she misses her family and the friends she has there. The feeling generally passes within 24 hours and doesn't pop up again for a few weeks. I'm not sure what we'd do if she was in a state of depression and was dead-set on going back to Thailand. I feel bad for people facing those kinds of things.

Best of luck to you!

My timeline was last updated on 29MAR2013.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

My wife immigrated to the States in mid-March. Since we live in Florida, we didn't have to worry about the sweaters, and the weather is similar to that in Thailand, which is a plus.

- After just two days in the States, we went and stayed at a condo on the beach for 4 days. This gave my wife an "on vacation" feel while at the same time giving her a few days to get used to the different sights and sounds around her. It was a great few days and I believe it helped her transition quite a bit.

- My family was very welcoming. They all adore my wife and vice versa. My wife calls my parents "mom" and "dad," and it's all a very pleasant atmosphere. We get together at least once a week with various family members (parents, sisters, aunts, uncles, etc).

- She uses the iPhone I bought her to call her parents. There are two apps (Viber and Line) that use the Internet to place calls. I bought my in-laws an iPad prior to leaving Thailand, which supports those apps. At home, my wife's iPhone is connected to our wifi. Therefore, she uses that to call her parent's iPad at no extra charge. She can call back there every day if she wants at no extra cost to me.

- There are three Asian markets not too far from us. My wife raids the shelves there every few weeks and that keeps her happy in the food department. Some things there are a bit expensive, but it's a small price to pay for a happy wife.

- I bought my wife and iPad and she keeps up with her friends on that (Facebook & email). She also watches an array of Thai TV shows on that. It doubles as a nice picture/video taking device that she can then send to her friends and family in Thailand via email or on her Facebook page.

- She's been to see a doctor and a dentist. This could certainly have been put off, but having a doctor and dentist is important and it makes her feel more settled in.

- We shop...a lot. I took her out to the stores that she'll get the most use out of. It was trial and error for a while because she's not exactly a big woman, thus making it difficult to find clothes that fit her. Banana Republic has a petite section. Charlotte Russe (sp?) and Forever 21 are two other stores that have a lot of things she's able to wear. She also likes the MAC (make-up) store.

- We're currently looking for a house to buy, and that is something exciting for her to take part in. Once we have one, she'll enjoy furniture shopping.

- She goes to "school" a few nights a week. I have a bachelor's degree in ESL, so rather than paying someone else to teacher her English, I do that myself.

- There is a Cambodian-style Buddhist temple in our city, but neither of us want to go there (we're both Buddhists). The nearest Thai temple is a 3-hour drive away and we've yet to go there...will likely make that trip in two or three months. In the meantime, we do have some Buddhist ornaments around the home, and we'll be getting a spirit house when we purchase our new place. Our religion is important to us, but it's not something requiring us to go to a church once a week. We practice it the best we can given our location and the distance to a temple.

- Be prepared to teach her how to use various appliances (garbage disposal, washer, dryer, oven, etc).

There's likely nothing you are going to be able to do to keep her from getting homesick...it just happens. Best thing to do is be aware of it, and don't take offense if she gets frustrated at times and declares her desire to return to Thailand. My wife does this on occasion. It's not that she's unhappy in Florida, but rather because things are easier for her in Thailand, and she misses her family and the friends she has there. The feeling generally passes within 24 hours and doesn't pop up again for a few weeks. I'm not sure what we'd do if she was in a state of depression and was dead-set on going back to Thailand. I feel bad for people facing those kinds of things.

Best of luck to you!

Funny you mention appliances. When my wife got here 4 years ago, I tried to show her how to use the dishwasher. She said, "What do you think you're hiso?" She's never used it in 4 years. She occasionally opens it and pulls out the top rack to use it to dry dishes if she runs out of room in the dish rack. Still makes me laugh.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline

555! Yes, the dishwasher is another appliance foreign to my wife. Took her a few tries to learn how to load it (would put glasses face up rather than down), but she has taken to it pretty well. A tiny appliance she was bemused by was the water/ice maker in the refrigerator door...she thought that was next to brilliant. :-)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'd suggest one of these over a separate hose sprayer: http://www.totousa.com/Green/Products/Washlet.aspx . Superior in every way.

I've had an E200 for 8 years, and wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm sure I've saved enough in TP over the 8 years to cover the cost of the seat.

The only problem I've found with it is it makes me hate to take a dump anywhere but at home.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for that. Sounds like your well on your way.

Things are moving fast now. I'm having trouble finding enough time away from work to get the forms and stuff done. She has quit her job and moved to Bangkok, so she really has more spare time then I do, but the English forms are over her head.

I'm REALLY looking forward to the adventure. I've never been married so after 50 years of single life this will be something new.

My family is close we get together frequently, I think she will like that part of her life here.

Timeline

Like you, I had never been married before either. I married my wife at 38 (am now 41) and couldn't be happier. We have a son who's a 18 months old and he keeps us grounded. Our move to the States was mostly for his benefit as we felt he'd be better off and have more opportunities in the States than in Thailand. We plan on returning to Thailand once every three to four years for two or three months at a time because we don't want him to loose that part of his heritage.

Timeline

My wife's been here ten months now. She survived the brutally cold Califironia winter. We went through the homesickness, I want to go home initially. But, we found a nearby temple and she has many new Thai friends. I found a Thai language newspaper that comes once a week. She passed her written DMV test and has her driving test on Friday. She will start her ESL classes next month and has been looking for a job. She has mastered all the appliances (the dishwasher is no longer used as a drying rack) although the gas piped into the house still bothers her as she cannot see the tank and is somewhat suspicious of the regulator outside. We have a lot of Vietnamese markets nearby that carry tons of Thai products and have all of the vegetables and fruits that she needs so we only have to go to the Thai market rarely. We went back in February and will go back next month. We have been very blessed and have a wonderful relationship.

Here's my suggestion: a garden. I don't know where your fiancee is from but, my wife's family grew corn and rice. She is truly a farmer's daughter. She loved taking care of our orange and avocado trees during the winter. But, come spring she wanted a garden that she now calls her "farm". It has made her so incredibly happy, I get texts and pics almost every day. We have tons of Thai chiles, basil, dill, brocolli, tomatoes, lemon grass, cucumbers, eggplant, peppers etc. She has also planted heaps of flowers and roses. She now uses stuff from the garden to cook every day and is so happy, it really made a huge difference!

Timeline

Here's my suggestion: a garden. I don't know where your fiancee is from but, my wife's family grew corn and rice. She is truly a farmer's daughter. She loved taking care of our orange and avocado trees during the winter. But, come spring she wanted a garden that she now calls her "farm". It has made her so incredibly happy, I get texts and pics almost every day. We have tons of Thai chiles, basil, dill, brocolli, tomatoes, lemon grass, cucumbers, eggplant, peppers etc. She has also planted heaps of flowers and roses. She now uses stuff from the garden to cook every day and is so happy, it really made a huge difference!

I've considered buying house just for that reason. We live in an apartment now and she's always trying to grow stuff on the patio with mixed results. I don't really want invest in a house at this point because I want to go back to Thailand permanently in ~5 years. I just tell her to stick it out for now.

Timeline

I've considered buying house just for that reason. We live in an apartment now and she's always trying to grow stuff on the patio with mixed results. I don't really want invest in a house at this point because I want to go back to Thailand permanently in ~5 years. I just tell her to stick it out for now.

We have the same plan. We will rent our house here which will give us a healthy income since I'm about 10+ years away from being able to touch my 401K and SocSec (if it's still in existence then!)

Timeline

We have the same plan. We will rent our house here which will give us a healthy income since I'm about 10+ years away from being able to touch my 401K and SocSec (if it's still in existence then!)

Sounds really stupid on my part, but I haven't even considered renting a house. Not sure why. Thanks for bringing that up.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I actually have a garden, I sent her photos early on in our relationship. She claims that is one of the reasons she started to like me. Now she asks about it all the time. She can;t wait to get started.

Timeline

I actually have a garden, I sent her photos early on in our relationship. She claims that is one of the reasons she started to like me. Now she asks about it all the time. She can;t wait to get started.

We have a Thai friend here in a Dallas suburb. She basically tore up the entire backyard and turned it into a farm. It's pretty funny. She even has chickens back there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.