Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Canadian to USA - K-1 help please

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I am Canadian. My fiancee is American. He proposed recently after we had been dating for over two years. We are looking to start the K-1 process as soon as possible and were hoping to find an attorney to help us through it, but we seem to be having trouble locating one that specializes in fiancee/spousal visas specifically (most deal with working non-immigrant visas). We have some questions and would be grateful for any feedback, personal experiences, answers, etc.

- I do know that I am allowed to visit him while the K-1 is in pending. We currently live only a few hours apart so visiting has never been an issue; however, he is moving across the country to start his new job next month so visiting will be much more difficult.

-Canadians are allowed to visit the U.S. for up to 6 months (without a visa - just passport).

Does anyone know, or has anyone been in this situation where you have visited your significant other for the 6 month period to know if it is possible or likely that they won't turn you away?

If I am able to visit for 6 month periods at a time, how long do I have to return to Canada before I can go back and visit for another prolonged period (as it seems K-1 Visa processing times are taking up to 13 months these days)?

Is there another course of action to take so that our separation may not be so long?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, especially from those who are Canadian with U.S. partners. Thank you in advance!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't need a lawyer. This site has more than enough info for you to do it yourself without all that expense. You can stay for 6 months but that's the max for any 12-month period. So you can't, say, stay for 6 months, then leave for a few days/weeks and then come back for another 6 months. Also, once the visa is pending, you might need to show ties to Canada, (return ticket, lease, letter from employer) at the border, to prove that you're not intending to stay. Otherwise you may be denied entry. Also, if you're bringing a lot of stuff for a 6-month stay, that will raise some eyebrows, and you might be denied entry. There's really no way to do it without enduring a period apart, unfortunately.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.