risingjsun

RFE received: Circumstances of Meeting and Last Personal Meeting

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Explain how you met 6 years ago, and most importantly> Provide the evidence of meeting in person between the dates of October 31, 2010 and November 01, 2012. That is what they are asking for. They need proof you met in person within the 2 years prior to filing the petition. It is a major requirement of the I-129F. The RFE is because they are not satisfied that you met within that time period. You must prove to them that you did, or be denied.

Use passport stamps, boarding passes, baggage claim tickets, hotel receipts, ATM/debit/credit card receipts/bank statements.. anything that shows the two of you were present in the other one's country/city for a visit in the 2 years prior to filing the I-129F. Use photos as secondary evidence. Any with landmarks and taken with each others friends and family are very good to use, not just ones of the 2 of alone. I know it asks for film dated, but most people do not have such a thing anymore. I think it is possible to print out the details of a digital photo that would include the date taken, but usually they accept photos that you add the caption to yourself, by naming who is in them, where they were taken and the date they were taken.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I have evidence dated 2 years ago and older. I just thought how funny to see that they want exactly two years ago. Based on their wording, anything older than 2 years is not what they're looking for.

What is funny about it? The instructions state the requirements. As stated previously in this thread a few times, one of the main requirements of the I-129F is that you have met in person, face-to-face within the 2 years prior to filing. Proof of meeting from 6, 5, 4, 3 and even 2.1 years ago does not meet the requirement. Why would they want evidence that does not prove you met in person within the 2 years prior to filing? I am not sure why you seem to think it is so strange that they expect you to actually show proof that you meet the form requirements.

You must prove that you met in person at least once within the 2 years before you filed the I-129F. That is the requirement, and that is why they are asking your evidence to fall within that 2 year time frame because only a meeting face-to-face within those 2 years will allow you to meet the requirement and get a petition approval.

Take the other proof you have from the beginning of your relationship to the present to the actual K-1 interview. That evidence cannot meet the requirement of the I-129F, but it can be used to prove a bona fide, ongoing relationship in order to get an approval for the K-1 visa.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

To clarify, the primary evidence that I've submitted with my initial I-129F application included:

• One passport page that shows my picture, name, nationality, etc.
  • Plane ticket receipt showing that I traveled to beneficiary's home country in 2010-2011

All other forms and letters (letters of intent) outlined on the VisaJourney guides were also submitted with my package. Also, I submitted a copy of an apartment complex rental history, showing both the beneficiary and petitioner's names on it. I thought this would've been a very strong piece of evidence, but it proved it wasn't. Maybe the date on the rental history missed the date range in question. (Rental history conducted on March 2010. Date range in question: October 2010 to November 2012)

I know it's been addressed mostly, but to clear it up for anyone reading this in the future, none of the above is actual primary evidence of meeting. The passport page is information only, it doesn't demonstrate being together. The plane ticket receipt doesn't prove that you were together, it just proves that you bought a ticket. Whether it was used or not isn't clearly demonstrated just by the receipt (I've had tickets I purchased but then had to cancel, a receipt alone doesn't prove anything regarding having met). Finally the lease agreement isn't proof of having met, it's just proof that you've shared responsibility of a lease. From a third party perspective, you could have been responsible for a lease without ever having been in that location. I've signed lease agreements when I was moving in states I hadn't even been to, but I had a lease agreement in place prior to my move. And as you pointed out, even if was sufficient it falls outside the very strict time requirements.

From a third party perspective, none of the above demonstrates primary evidence. It's as if no primary evidence was submitted with your package, so it's pretty clear to see why an RFE was generated. You're on the right track for the RFE; passport stamps are very strong primary evidence. Make sure they were dated within the two years prior to your petition, and not after the petition date. There are other primary evidence options, but passport stamps alone, with supporting secondary evidence are pretty strong proof.

Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Actually many people have been approved on what you provided, but since they have asked for more specific information - and they usually only ask how you met and not for specific evidence for that particular question, I would send a copy of some evidence that you were at the same place at the same time i.e. relating to your being at the same school at the same time. If they want overkill, then give it to them. These dont have to be originals... just copies.

As far as meeting within the past two years.. again, they appear to be very picky and people have provided far less and still been approved. However, I would recommend you send copies of passport stamps, copies of boarding passes (if you still have them) as these are proof that you actually boarded the flight (s) whereas anyone can buy a ticket and not travel, so receipts or copies of tickets, while useful are lesser evidence. Also, copies of receipts of you being in her city... maybe bank/eftpos receipts/statements... Anything at all that shows you were there. And if you have copies of photos together while there - while not the strongest evidence... will support the fact that you were together. Think of it as building a 'picture'. Nothing has to be the original for the initial petition so copies are fine. Passport stamps are strong but those with anything else you can provide will help. Don't panic.. everything may well be resolved if you can do this. Wish you the best.. don't let it throw you.. just put your information together and submit it. good.gif

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Case Progress subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.