Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

So confused, any help?

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

Forgive me please, this is my first post and I'm trying to get at least some basic information. I've been able to find out a few things from government websites, etc., but hearing from anyone going through or who has been through anything similar would be very helpful.

My basic situation: I am a Canadian citizen. My fiance is an American citizen, in the army, currently deployed overseas. I believe he's planning to be "out" of the military by sometime next year (2014), at least that was the last plan I heard from him. He is scheduled to return to the States from his current deployment in September 2013. We may not want to get married right away, but I'm trying to get an idea of what is involved. I know about the fiance visa, but i have other concerns/factors.

I am currently on Ontario Disability support. I don't see myself being able to work in the near future (very unlikely before the end of 2013), so this is my only source of income. If we decided to go with the fiance visa option, I'm assuming I would lose this income? And I'm on several prescription drugs, so I'm concerned about how I can have any of these things covered without having to pay for them.

The basic dilemma is if we decided we wanted to live together in the United States at least until he has ended his military service, do we need to be engaged? I read something about Canadians being able to be viewed as a visitor for up to six months at a time, but you cannot work, which would not likely be a concern in my case. I'm mainly concerned with my prescription drugs and whether or not I could continue to receive my disability if I did either the fiance or "visiting" status. I don't like the idea of contributing nothing to the relationship financially, and my prescriptions are non-negotiable.

I'm sorry of any of this is unclear, I'm just very confused and would like to have a general idea of options, at least until he is no longer in service. At that point we would be able to discuss more permanent options if necessary, or him moving to Canada, etc. Neither of us have kids or have been previously married.

Thanks for any help, it seems very overwhelming and I'm a "planner" so I like to know at least the bare bones of what I'm looking at. I'd really like to pursue this engagement, but don't really like the idea of feeling rushed into getting married for the sake of a piece of paper. We're in love so I'd really like to investigate all of our options fully and within the parameters of the laws of both countries.

With many thanks,

Sarah smile.png

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you wish you keep your provincial benefits you have to be in the province for 183 days of the year. You do not have to give up any benefits or payments you receive from the Canadian gov't. (I'm not sure about provincial benefits, however, I bet they're similar to the health care.) However, if you immigrate to the USA via a fiancee or spousal visa, you lose any benefits (except EI) when you become a resident of the USA.

You may be allowed to visit the USA for up to 6 months (180 days) and you may be denied entry for trying to stay so long, especially without a job or many proof of ties to Canada.

It's sometimes harder than a person would think to find a well paying job out of the military. My husband is ex-USAF; was in for 8 years with tours in both Africa and Iraq. He came back to the USA from Guam in Nov 2011. He had several interviews but didn't acquire a job until Sept 2012. Thankfully he saved money very well and was able to support himself. We also seriously looked into having him move up to Canada and I'd found out the process to do so (which has changed since then) and costs. It takes longer to come to Canada but Americans can also visit Canada for up to 6 months.

Look at the comparison charts for the k1 and the cr1 and the costs of the two. Don't rush into marriage. But he may also want to come live with you for 6 months after he leaves the military.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You won't be able to keep your disability when in the US even as a visitor for that long of a period. They require you to let them know when your gone for a period or more then 7 or 14 days I can't remember. Once you move to the US your disability stops too you won't be able to keep it. I wish we could.


Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.