tilltill

Visa Waiver and me being an idiot :/

88 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Long story so will try and keep it short!! I went to the states the end of August 2011 to visit my American fiance. I was usuing about 85 days of my allowed VW. While I was there my parents came over for my Birthday and were staying with my uncle. A few weeks before, me and my fiance decided to get married on my Birthday since everyone was there! Over and done with! I just want to stress that we DID not marry to stay in the US. Our plan all along was to live (eventually) in the uk.

At the time my now husband worked part time, paid all our bills and was going to school, so money was tight. My WV was running out the end of November, but I decided to stay with him anyway for Christmas and fly home in January once we had filed his UK visa paperwork (FIRST idiot mistake). Well.... half way through December I got pregnant and we now have a beautiful little 8 month old baby girl (who has a US passport). So... with money being tight, and now having to fork out for medical expenses I refused to leave him until his UK visa was paid for and processed. Near on a grand. Money we just didnt have at the time. So.... by the time his visa came through it was beginning of May 2012 and we got flights straight back to England. (Less than 180 days overstay)

Like I said, our daughter is now 8 months old and I decided it was time to go back and see the inlaws for 2 weeks next month. Theyre ddying to meet her! Booked our flights last week, just for me and the baby, hubby staying here to work, applied for our ESTAs, all approved. All set to go. Everyone excited, huge party being held on our arrival for the baby.

WELL....... this is probably becoming obvious now why im such an effing idiot. My uncle raised the "overstay" problem with me. I have had about 3 sleepless nights now and here I am in this forum. I called the embassy in London today, no help. As when I last left the states I wasnt given any kind of overstay paperwork and they wanted to know what it said. And what immigration said to me on my departure... nothing!

Everyone keesp telling me, oh you will be fine, they wont send you home on your own with a baby, they wont lock you up with a baby. I wouldnt worry to much if it was just me! But, how am I going to have enough milk with me? Nappies? I can provide countless reasons I need to come back here after the 2 weeks, all sorts of documents.... plus the fact I developed a few problems post preganacy and will only have enough medication for the duration of my stay (yeah, my medical insurance cost a bomb!). I can swear on my life there is not one tiny chance I would ever ever overstay.... How nasty can immigration be?

So now I am worried sick about all this. Any positive/helpful advice would be great please!!!!! xxxxx

PS I felt my VW might of been approved because of my new passport and new married name, so I applied also using the passport I overstayed on and maiden name to try to be more honest. Also approved :/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You need a B2, you are not eligible to use the VWP.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Wished Cambodia would have a visa waiver program.

Me Too !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

So basically I'm gonna get there. Definitely get locked up and definitely get sent home. Great. Well that's me calling klm at 9am and losing all my money for the flight and insurance.

Thanks for the advice. I managed 2 hours sleep so far tonight. Shall now cry until 9am sad.png

Is it just me having issues pasting links?

Anyway the information is all on the Consulate web site including how to apply for a B2 if you want to give it a shot.

Wished Cambodia would have a visa waiver program.

You can apply for a Visa on entry, seems mainly a way of collecting the fee.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Ok, I have just looked up applying for a B2. Mixed information on the embassy site, but I did find this:

Violating the terms of the Visa Waiver Program or previously issued U.S. visa can render an individual ineligible for a visa and a waiver of this ineligibility may be required.

Applicants who are ineligile to receive a visa

If the applicant is found ineligible for a visa, he/she will be advised whether or not a waiver of ineligibility is available from the Department of Homeland Security Customs and Border Protection (DHSCBP). If a favorable recommendation is made to DHSCBP for a waiver of the ineligibility, the application will take approximately 6 months to process; some applications may take longer.

How am I going to know if that is me???? Thanks xx

Timeline

You said you did not have a ban. Are you now not sure?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Also, to the first to reply. I didn't lie about the questions. That would be pointless!!

And anothrr poster.... My husband isn't coming

Some peope think that getting the ESTA means that you will make it in so they don't think too much about answering in a way that will get you in. They don't think about or maybe know the severe consequences to that "little lie" I am glad you didn't because you seem to have a long term "need" to visit. As for being turned back , they don't have to put you in a jail cell, they just don't let you beyond the immigration area and hold you until a flight back ( usually the next available )

I just checked days between dates and if you came the last day of Aug and left the first day of May you stayed for 245 days. Take away the 90 you were allowed you are at 155 days that is very close to 180 ( hopefully you didn't overlap hours on day 180 or you are dealing with a ban)

Once you hit day 91 you made yourself ineligble for VWP. You will need to apply for a visitors visa and hope you can convince them that you won't overstay ( with a USC husband and child and a long violation of VWP your chances for a few years are low ) It is bad that you didn't think about this until you had your flight arranged but it is better to cancel than to be stuck in a room for hours and herded back onto the next flight home with a little one.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

@

NigeriaorBust Thank you for your reply. I dont think im going to worry too much about convincing them I wont overstay, I can give them any tiny piece of info they need. I do have a return booked obviously. The B2 wait time is currently 1 day for London, so will get down there before the week is out. Alls I can do is apologise and be as honest as I can with them. Im sure honesty will go a long way :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.