buddylewis

Can't get a passport to meet fiancee

61 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Not sure if its relevent. But Obama care changed childs support age to 26. I know somebody who got his child support bumped up to age 26 .And Another fellow volintarily started helping his adult kids a lot more so his ex doesn't file to raise the age.

No it didn't. Where are you getting this from?

Many hard working parents, mostly Fathers, are caught in a vicious cycle of child support arrearages. While the child support obligation could end at 18 (some go to 21 and even longer if higher education coverage is written into the divorce decree), it is the arrearage that causes the issues. Mostly.

It is usually not the support itself that causes issues but the arrearages which can be caused by loss of employment, medical condition or fabrication of facts by a vindictive Ex. The state collects $2 from the Feds for every $1 collected in child support payment so the interest of the state is to create a situation where by a payee is stuck in the cycle (follow the money).

OP has my full sympathy and support and I don't even need to know his story and he deserve his own happiness too wherever he might find it. I personally think it is unconstitutional to tie in child support arrearages (not support) to credit profiles and governmental benefits including passport, etc. I personally know two international sales people that lost their jobs due to loss of passports. It's a silent epidemic.

OP, I wish you nothing but the best in your journey but you will need to get your passport back and travel to meet your Fiancee. You do not need to pay the full balance to get your passprot but will have to negotiate and demonstrate a payment pattern. Hopefully this hasn't caused you to loose your livelihood.

Sure, there are men (and women) who get behind through no fault of their own.

There are also plenty who just never bother to pay. Catches up with them eventually.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

"You met each other, in person, at least once within 2 years of filing your petition. There are two exceptions that require a waiver:

1. If the requirement to meet would violate strict and long-established customs of your or your fiancé(e)’s foreign culture or social practice.

2. If you prove that the requirement to meet would result in extreme hardship to you."

Another long shot, but you can try the extreme hardship waiver. Refer to link for further details: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/316-how-do-i-prove-extreme-hardship/

Back child support owed is not a hardship issue.

Probably out of his ..............................

Obamacare can't change the divorce law of individual states.

It can allow you to keep your kids on your medical insurance policy until they are 26. Keeping a child on the policy of the parent who covers the child COULD be enforced through a judges order.

Let me clarify my situation. As a law enforement whistleblower in the state of Texas I was used as an example bythe Texas Attorney Generals Office. I became disabled, could not work, and the Attorneys Generals Office would not reduce my child support. $30,000.00 worth of attorneys could not get it done. That's Texas for you.

My "kids" are 21 and 23 with lives of their own. I have been paying child support for 23 years and will probably pay for the rest of my life (after they add on interest and penalties). The amount is arrearage is more than $50,000.00. That's way too much for me to pay off, or I would have already done so. My payments are guaranteed to them because they take half of my disability (unless I die).

So because of this I cannot leave the country? I cannot marry a foreign national? Ever? If the Immigrations can make exceptions for the meeting rule for "tradition" and "strong cultural beliefs", can they not make an exception for not legally being able to meet because I can't get a passport? There is something wrong with this picture?

Rather than spend 30K on lawyers, why didn't you just start a payment plan?

Something about your story stinks.

Start by paying off the amount owed. You owe it! By the quick math, you are about 4 years behind if you were ordered to pay 1200/month. Not much excuse there especially if you did not report your job loss to the agency to be re-evaluated if not for actual then at least earning potential while being classified as disabled. As for whistleblowing, your job was protected under federal law against retaliatory termination so ether you quit or were terminated for cause.

Next interest....at 6% simple interest, no one can call it robbery

Per: https://www.oag.state.tx.us/cs/attorneys/crimnonsup/crimnonsuphb_ch11.shtml#ch11_set

Paying Support

When Support is Due
Child support is set as a monthly amount, due and payable as set out in the court order. Child support is considered delinquent if it is not received by the 31st day after the payment date stated in the order. §157.266. Interest accrues at a rate of six percent simple interest from the date of delinquency until the date of payment. §157.265. In practice, a payment is considered “late” if it is not received during the month in which it is due.

The Obligation
Parents are responsible for the support of their children, and a court may order either or both parents to pay support. [TFC § 154.001]. Child support is not a “debt”. Ex parte Davis, 101 Tex. 607 (1908). This support continues until the child dies, is emancipated, reaches 18, graduates from high school, or if the child is disabled, indefinitely. [TFC §§§ 154.001, 154.002, 154.006]. If neither parent has possession of the child, the court may order that both parents pay support to the non-parent with the child. [TFC §§ 154.001(b), 154.001©] The parties can agree to an amount of child support, which the court will confirm if it is in the best interest of the child. Such an agreement is not enforceable as a contract. [TFC § 154.124].

Current payment should be 0 unless the Children are disabled (as ordered by court) or it was written into the decree to provide through college or some such.

The reason no passport is available is because many just move overseas to avoid their court ordered obligation.

Bottom line...pay then you can get on with your life.

Finished!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

No, you didn't read the story I posted either. That happened in 2013. A guy who could not get a passport due to child support arrears was able to meet his fiance in Mexico. He went by land, and did not leave the border town, but he did it.

I refuse the respond to anyone who doesn't actually read that story.

That's what you can do if you want OP - you can figure out the specifics. But it seems everyone just wants to complain and come up with half answers.

I hope the OP in the story I linked chimes in.

I could chime in, but you should read my story. You will have to read an endless list of required reading and forms if you really plan to bring a foreign national to the USA. My visit to Mexico was such a small part of this entire process I had no idea at the time. I have since learned that all these rules and regulations are in place to weed out those who are not serious about the process.

If you are serious, meeting is simply a first step in a long long long process. I do not have a passport, but was asked for it each time I crossed (more than a dozen times over 2 weeks), and each time asked why I did not have one. I have learned that if you can prove you are an American citizen, they cannot deny you access to your home country. The key is being able to prove you are who you say you are. I carried a valid AZ driver's license and a certified copy of my birth certificate. I was allowed through each time, but not without an extensive check and additional hassle that took sometimes over 2 hours at the checkpoint.

I learned a lot, and I would probably do it all again for the woman I love. In fact, my fiance and I are talking about seeing each other again in Juarez over the summer while we are waiting on NOA2.

To everyone who insists on making suggestion to pay back owed child support, until you find yourself in this situation, try to refrain from giving discouraging advice. All it does is make people lose more hope in an already bleak situation. If you are here, then obviously you found someone you want to share a life with, and I'm pretty sure that you would not like to hear that your case is now hopeless because of some detail. One person here already said it best: if you are truly a deadbeat, then you are probably in jail, not trying to bring someone to the USA. The rest of us with unrealistic amounts of child support arrears have just fallen prey to a broken system.

Best of luck to you. Do your research and read-read-read! Just try to ignore naysaying negative nonsense from nanny goats. :D

ü Met online - Oct 31, 2012

ü Met in Mexico - Jan 21, 2013 Q

ü Expedited removal and 5 year ban vacated - Mar 21, 2013

ü I129F sent - Apr 16, 2013 +

ü I129F confirmed received - Apr 19, 2013

ü USCIS Acceptance Confirmation (NOA1) - Apr 25, 2013 +

ü Met in Mexico - Jun 21, 2013 Q

ü Email, petition transferred to another office - Jul 10, 2013

ü Hard copy, petition confirmed transferred to Texas - Jul 14, 2013 +

ü Email notification of NOA2 - Approved!!! (100 days) - Jul 28, 2013

ü Hard copy NOA2 - Sep 21, 2013 +

ü NVC case number - Sep 9, 2013 (

ü Hard copy NVC case number - Sep 15, 2013 +

ü Interview scheduled for Oct 4. 2013 - Approved!!!!

ü Visas received!!! - Oct 23, 2013 +

ü Port of entry - Nov 12, 2013 Q

ü Married - Dec 24, 2013

ü AOJ Interview - Jul 1, 2014

ü Green Cards Received - Jul 14, 2014 +

ü 1st anniversary -  Dec 24, 2014 

ü 2nd anniversary -  Dec 24, 2015 

ü Applied for removal of conditions - Jul 14, 2016 +

ü 3rd anniversary -  Dec 24, 2016 

I could chime in, but you should read my story. You will have to read an endless list of required reading and forms if you really plan to bring a foreign national to the USA. My visit to Mexico was such a small part of this entire process I had no idea at the time. I have since learned that all these rules and regulations are in place to weed out those who are not serious about the process.

If you are serious, meeting is simply a first step in a long long long process. I do not have a passport, but was asked for it each time I crossed (more than a dozen times over 2 weeks), and each time asked why I did not have one. I have learned that if you can prove you are an American citizen, they cannot deny you access to your home country. The key is being able to prove you are who you say you are. I carried a valid AZ driver's license and a certified copy of my birth certificate. I was allowed through each time, but not without an extensive check and additional hassle that took sometimes over 2 hours at the checkpoint.

I learned a lot, and I would probably do it all again for the woman I love. In fact, my fiance and I are talking about seeing each other again in Juarez over the summer while we are waiting on NOA2.

To everyone who insists on making suggestion to pay back owed child support, until you find yourself in this situation, try to refrain from giving discouraging advice. All it does is make people lose more hope in an already bleak situation. If you are here, then obviously you found someone you want to share a life with, and I'm pretty sure that you would not like to hear that your case is now hopeless because of some detail. One person here already said it best: if you are truly a deadbeat, then you are probably in jail, not trying to bring someone to the USA. The rest of us with unrealistic amounts of child support arrears have just fallen prey to a broken system.

Best of luck to you. Do your research and read-read-read! Just try to ignore naysaying negative nonsense from nanny goats. biggrin.png

".............some detail..................?

Look, I think most sensible people here realize that bad things sometimes happen to good people.

But I also think it's unfair to minimize a huge debt owed to a child by calling it "some detail".

*edited to add* I just re-read your paragraph above where you say "they can't deny you access to your home country". Just what exactly are you talking about? When posters are talking about needing a passport to cross the Mexican border, we are talking about needing it to enter Mexico. How did you get over to Mexico?

Edited by Rebecca Jo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

what u need to do is go to child support make sure your not behind and have them lift that band.. a co work had to do that he was done paying child support many yrs now but it didt not show so he had to go done to the office and get a letter saying he does not owe anything

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

where is this i need to go back and refile for my 21 and 22 yr old i need extra money ..lol at the age 0f 18 they we kicked off he only had to pay his back protions

Best of luck to you. Do your research and read-read-read! Just try to ignore naysaying negative nonsense from nanny goats. biggrin.png

I hear you and you're right.

where is this i need to go back and refile for my 21 and 22 yr old i need extra money ..lol at the age 0f 18 they we kicked off he only had to pay his back protions

Was the non custodial able to use any of the kids for exemptions on taxes?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

When posters are talking about needing a passport to cross the Mexican border, we are talking about needing it to enter Mexico. How did you get over to Mexico?

I simply walked. I believe you are confusing passport requirements to enter Mexico with getting past the 30km checkpoint. If you plan to travel 30km from the USA border, you will need a passport, or they will turn you back. And this is not 3rd handed information, I was there in January. This is why I was asked to "chime in"...

However, please continue to berate the OP about child support arrears, as this is the child support advocate forum, he should have known better than to come here asking for advice about where to meet his fiance from the Philippines

ü Met online - Oct 31, 2012

ü Met in Mexico - Jan 21, 2013 Q

ü Expedited removal and 5 year ban vacated - Mar 21, 2013

ü I129F sent - Apr 16, 2013 +

ü I129F confirmed received - Apr 19, 2013

ü USCIS Acceptance Confirmation (NOA1) - Apr 25, 2013 +

ü Met in Mexico - Jun 21, 2013 Q

ü Email, petition transferred to another office - Jul 10, 2013

ü Hard copy, petition confirmed transferred to Texas - Jul 14, 2013 +

ü Email notification of NOA2 - Approved!!! (100 days) - Jul 28, 2013

ü Hard copy NOA2 - Sep 21, 2013 +

ü NVC case number - Sep 9, 2013 (

ü Hard copy NVC case number - Sep 15, 2013 +

ü Interview scheduled for Oct 4. 2013 - Approved!!!!

ü Visas received!!! - Oct 23, 2013 +

ü Port of entry - Nov 12, 2013 Q

ü Married - Dec 24, 2013

ü AOJ Interview - Jul 1, 2014

ü Green Cards Received - Jul 14, 2014 +

ü 1st anniversary -  Dec 24, 2014 

ü 2nd anniversary -  Dec 24, 2015 

ü Applied for removal of conditions - Jul 14, 2016 +

ü 3rd anniversary -  Dec 24, 2016 

I simply walked. I believe you are confusing passport requirements to enter Mexico with getting past the 30km checkpoint. If you plan to travel 30km from the USA border, you will need a passport, or they will turn you back. And this is not 3rd handed information, I was there in January. This is why I was asked to "chime in"...

However, please continue to berate the OP about child support arrears, as this is the child support advocate forum, he should have known better than to come here asking for advice about where to meet his fiance from the Philippines

good.gif

Child support advocate forum?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.