buddylewis

Can't get a passport to meet fiancee

61 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

OP you must have had back child support & then the whistle-blowing thing added to

your misery, however petitioning someone can be very expensive and take a lot of

time & stress plus you have to be able to show you can afford the alien, so if they

taking from your disability, you have your own expenses,and petitioning will you be

able to manage....I know everyone need a partner but think about the costs, also I

know what you mean the system turn its back on many after using them ....best wishes

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

Really? Can you please correct me on this? I thought that marrying on a tourist with intent to stay was visa fraud and resulted in a lifetime ban. I guess marrying on a tourist visa and then returning your home country is acceptable.

A lot of people get married on a tourist visa. I did and adjusted status and so did anothers. But as posted before, it is irrelevant to the thread.

Edited by Mariana2012

Adjusting from B1/B2

Exactly 3 months from the day we got married till the day I had both SSN and GREENCARD in hand !

Day 1 01/22/2013 AOS package sent

Day 8 01/28/2013 NOA 1 received

Day 15 02/04/2013Biometrics appt letter for 2/25/2013

Day 16 02/05/2013 Succesful walk in biometrics 20 days early

Day 25 02/14/2013 USCIS status changed to Testing and Interview ready for interview scheduling

Day 31 02/20/2013 Email notification that my interview is scheduled for March 21st

Day 57 03/19/2013 EAD/AP card ordered

Day 59 03/21/2013 Interview at 10.30 am Seattle Approved

Day 67 03/29/ 2013 Greencard Arrived . Applied for SSN

Day 68 03/30/2013 EAD arrived

Day 74 04/03/2013 SSN card arrived

Eligible for ROC December 21st 2014

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well unfortunately, you can't go to Mexico or Canada without a passport either. And, if she did go to Mexico, then she would still have to get a visa from her home country to come into the U.S.

Timeline

I can't even go to Mexico from the U.S. without a passport card anymore because the laws have changed due to "terrorism". Funny, terrorist can get into this country easier than fiancees. That's our government at work slowly but surely taking our freedom and our money from us.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Here's my dilema. I want to marry a girl who is in the Philippines. I can't get a passport because the Texas Attorney General put me on the "no passport" list because I am behind in my child support. I am making $1,200.00 a month payments and have been paying child support for 23 years. One of the requirements for a K-1 visa is that I meet my fiancee within 2 years of filing for the visa. Since I cannot go to the Philippines to meet my fiancee, or marry her there, is it possible that she could get a K-1 visa to come to the U.S. to meet me, or marry me here?

I strongly suggest you contact the county or district office that handles the child support, and work something out. Sure, pay a big lump sum soonish.

Even then, it'll take 3 months to 'get off the list' as things run slow with the bureaucracy.

Do you have any immediacy of 'now' in terms of this lass in the PI? You should clear yer stuff with the State of Texas, first, IMO.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I can't even go to Mexico from the U.S. without a passport card anymore because the laws have changed due to "terrorism". Funny, terrorist can get into this country easier than fiancees. That's our government at work slowly but surely taking our freedom and our money from us.

No, by land you do not need it.

Here is someone in the same circumstance. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/407171-where-can-we-meet/

He was able to go to Mexico and meet his fiance. Here is his second post about it (though they got in a mix-up that has since been resolved). http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/412308-5-year-ban-file-for-waiver-before-i129f/

A post in there outlines the specifics. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/407171-where-can-we-meet/?p=5900884

It has to be by land, border town, etc, but this person did it, so I don't see why the OP cannot.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Go to mexico without a passport and meet your fiance there, if she can get a tourist visa for Mexico.

Can't. Need a passport, passport card or enhanced drivers license to go there now. (Or maybe I'm in error here as Harpa says)

Long shot way: Move to a state w/ an enhanced drivers license, get one, then meet in Mexico.

On the Northern Border you have Washington, Michigan, New York, Vermont,

Minnesota, North Dakota, Idaho, New Hampshire, and Maine, are still working out the details.

Southern Border states will be offering EDL as well like Arizona, Texas, and New Mexico. (Note: Texas looks like a no go for now)

Note 2 Mexico does require proof of some level of assets

Edited by Juliet and Steve

09/29/2012 - Met Online

11/22/2012 - 11/28/2012 - Steve's 1st Visit

02/08/2013 - I129F Submitted

02/12/2013 - NOA1

02/13/2013 - 03/07/2013 - Steve's 2nd Visit

02/14/2013 - Officially Engaged

06/21/2013 - Case transferred from VSC to TSC

07/24/2013 - NOA2

08/21/2013 - File sent to NVC

08/28/2013 - MNL Case Number received through phone

08/30/2013 - Visa Fee Paid

09/04/2013 - Medical Exam at SLEC (Done in 1 day)

09/25/2013 - Interview Appointment (Under AP with 221G)

10/01/2013 - Additional Document dropped at 2GO SM Cebu

10/08/2013 - CEAC Status Updated to READY

10/30/2013 - CEAC Status Updated to AP

10/30/2013 - CEAC Status ISSUED

11/06/2013 - VISA Received

11/11/2013 - CFO Done

11/15/2013 - POE Detroit

Can't. Need a passport, passport card or enhanced drivers license to go there now.

Long shot way: Move to a state w/ an enhanced drivers license, get one, then meet in Mexico.

On the Northern Border you have Washington, Michigan, New York, Vermont,

Minnesota, North Dakota, Idaho, New Hampshire, and Maine, are still working out the details.

Southern Border states will be offering EDL as well like Arizona, Texas, and New Mexico. (Note: Texas looks like a no go for now)

Note 2 Mexico does require proof of some level of assets

Nope, you didn't read what I posted, or the story from someone on VJ who jut did this for this same reason.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Filed: Country: Poland
Timeline

Nope, you didn't read what I posted, or the story from someone on VJ who jut did this for this same reason.

Since March 1, 2010, all U.S. citizens – including minors – have been required to present a valid passport or passport card for travel into Mexico. While documents are not routinely checked along the land border, Mexican authorities at immigration checkpoints approximately 20 to 30 kilometers from the border with the U.S. will often conduct vehicle and document inspections and will require valid travel documents and an entry permit or Forma Migratoria Multiple (FMM).

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Even if Mexico was an option for him, are we sure that she would be able to enter Mexico without any issues? I believe that Mexican authorities are fairly strict on visa requirements, upon pressure by the US Government, exactly because Mexico is just a hop over the fence away.

To the OP: have you ever met this girl?

also first thing comes to my mind as i recall you earn 1200 a month that is borderline to be able get visa? based on you live alone and not able claim anyone else on your taxes. imo time for finding more work

Since March 1, 2010, all U.S. citizens – including minors – have been required to present a valid passport or passport card for travel into Mexico. While documents are not routinely checked along the land border, Mexican authorities at immigration checkpoints approximately 20 to 30 kilometers from the border with the U.S. will often conduct vehicle and document inspections and will require valid travel documents and an entry permit or Forma Migratoria Multiple (FMM).

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html

No, you didn't read the story I posted either. That happened in 2013. A guy who could not get a passport due to child support arrears was able to meet his fiance in Mexico. He went by land, and did not leave the border town, but he did it.

I refuse the respond to anyone who doesn't actually read that story.

That's what you can do if you want OP - you can figure out the specifics. But it seems everyone just wants to complain and come up with half answers.

I hope the OP in the story I linked chimes in.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

"You met each other, in person, at least once within 2 years of filing your petition. There are two exceptions that require a waiver:
1. If the requirement to meet would violate strict and long-established customs of your or your fiancé(e)’s foreign culture or social practice.
2. If you prove that the requirement to meet would result in extreme hardship to you."

Another long shot, but you can try the extreme hardship waiver. Refer to link for further details: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/316-how-do-i-prove-extreme-hardship/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Correct me on this please.... I thought giving child support is only if your child is 18 and below. But this man is supporting more than 23 years? So your child/children are more than the age for support? How long can a man give child support then?

Not sure if its relevent. But Obama care changed childs support age to 26. I know somebody who got his child support bumped up to age 26 .And Another fellow volintarily started helping his adult kids a lot more so his ex doesn't file to raise the age.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.