burnabrenna

Extending Stay In Canada

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone! I'm not sure if this is even acceptable to post on here, but I figured some of you might have some experience with this.

I am a USC and my husband is Canadian. My current status in Canada expires on May 22nd, 2013. I'm getting ready to apply again to extend my stay so that I can remain in Canada with my husband while we wait out the US immigration process.

Does anyone have experience applying for a visitor visa extension in Canada while trying to apply for a US visa. On the application they ask you the reason for your extension - I stated the situation and provided proof that our case has been sent to the USCIS and is awaiting processing.

Anyone out there have any experience/suggestions? Thanks!

Timeline

Its fine to post here! you might get more help from roadtocanada forums tho. They are more for US citizens in Canada and immigrating to Canada etc.

http://www.roadtocanada.com/forums/index.php

Its worth a peek if no one here can help.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Its fine to post here! you might get more help from roadtocanada forums tho. They are more for US citizens in Canada and immigrating to Canada etc.

http://www.roadtocanada.com/forums/index.php

Its worth a peek if no one here can help.

Thank you, I haven't checked out that site yet! I have looked over at canadavisa.com though, and sadly it was not really that helpful.

Go to the border to extend the stay I think. My manager moved up here from the Boston area and I think that's what he did but I will double check with him on Monday when I see him next for you!

Also check out the Canada immigration site.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Go to the border to extend the stay I think. My manager moved up here from the Boston area and I think that's what he did but I will double check with him on Monday when I see him next for you!

Also check out the Canada immigration site.

I would totally do that, but I've heard horror stories of people being denied entry back in. I've been here since May 2012, so it's been a year. The woman at the border was already a little snarky with me on my initial entry and I was only coming for 2 months.

Also check out the Canada immigration site

This is not the recommended way to extend your stay and yes, you could possibly be denied. If you were put on a "visistor record" then please read the back of it. Also check out the Canada immigration site http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5551ETOC.asp and

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend/visa.asp

Edited by neiks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Listen to Neiks.......trust me!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

So glad other people could chime in! biggrin.png

Also glad I said to check out the Canada immigration website too... Since that would have been the better decision LOL

Edited by NikiR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

You claim your "status" expires.

What status is that?

Was it one of those visitors passes?

Or an actual Visa?

If it's one of those visitors passes that they put a "must-leave" date on, then you either must leave or you'll need to go back to the CBP office that issued you the pass and state your case. They, of course, have every right to deny you.

If it's a visitors pass, they gave it to you because they were suspicious of your stay.

I've only had one, and I left when it said.

I went back to the states for a few weeks, then came right back to canada.

Given that you are partway through the immigration process with pleanty of paperwork to prove, when you come back, they would really have no reason to deny you entry.

The Canadian passes don't raise the same red flags that the US ones do.

I had no issues whatsoever coming back after receiving one and it has never been mentioned again.

Of course, everything above is simply if you have a visitors pass.

If you have like a work or student visa, I can't tell you what to do there, sorry.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Considering Neiks works as a Canada border agent...........

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Hi .... My husband and I are going through this exact situation right now: I am Canadian and my husband is USC, we are 6 months into my immigration CR130....

My husband was approved for a TRV until May 5th, 2013; he applied for an extension at the end of February and we are still waiting. We spoke at length with the Canadian immigration authorities ( they are a big help and assisted us in completing the application extension forms ) we obtained the following: you can apply for an extension while you are in Canada minimum 30 days prior to the expiration of your TRV/TRP....you can REMAIN in Canada on an " implied status " while waiting for your extension approval; however you cannot cross back into the United States and come back to Canada; you must remain in Canada. If you cross back into the United States your extension is null and void. You must reapply for a TRV/TRP all over again. They are now reviewing TRV/TRP extensions from December 2012. They are grossly behind in processing.....

Edited by Stubby and Rio

07-18-12 - Married
10-26-12 - NOA1 sent
10-29-12 - NOA1 received
03-11-13 - NOA2 approved
04-03-13 - NVC received
04-10-13 - NVC case number assigned
04-19-13 - AOS/IV paid

04-22-13 - AOS/IV cleared

06-07-13 - Case Complete

09-03-13 - Medical

09-25-13 - Interview

10-01-13 - Picked up Visa

10-02-13 - POE Queenston-Lewiston

10-11-13 - SSN arrived

Timeline

Hi .... My husband and I are going through this exact situation right now: I am Canadian and my husband is USC, we are 6 months into my immigration CR130....

My husband was approved for a TRV until May 5th, 2013; he applied for an extension at the end of February and we are still waiting. We spoke at length with the Canadian immigration authorities ( they are a big help and assisted us in completing the application extension forms ) we obtained the following: you can apply for an extension while you are in Canada minimum 30 days prior to the expiration of your TRV/TRP....you can REMAIN in Canada on an " implied status " while waiting for your extension approval; however you cannot cross back into the United States and come back to Canada; you must remain in Canada. If you cross back into the United States your extension is null and void. You must reapply for a TRV/TRP all over again. They are now reviewing TRV/TRP extensions from December 2012. They are grossly behind in processing.....

So since you get to stay on "implied status" that could end up holding you until the end of the process? haha

Will probably work out anyways.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Exactly....it looks like I will likely have my interview before the TRV extension is approved lololol too funny....

07-18-12 - Married
10-26-12 - NOA1 sent
10-29-12 - NOA1 received
03-11-13 - NOA2 approved
04-03-13 - NVC received
04-10-13 - NVC case number assigned
04-19-13 - AOS/IV paid

04-22-13 - AOS/IV cleared

06-07-13 - Case Complete

09-03-13 - Medical

09-25-13 - Interview

10-01-13 - Picked up Visa

10-02-13 - POE Queenston-Lewiston

10-11-13 - SSN arrived

Considering Neiks works as a Canada border agent...........

Well that's handy! :D

Hi everyone! I'm not sure if this is even acceptable to post on here, but I figured some of you might have some experience with this.

I am a USC and my husband is Canadian. My current status in Canada expires on May 22nd, 2013. I'm getting ready to apply again to extend my stay so that I can remain in Canada with my husband while we wait out the US immigration process.

Does anyone have experience applying for a visitor visa extension in Canada while trying to apply for a US visa. On the application they ask you the reason for your extension - I stated the situation and provided proof that our case has been sent to the USCIS and is awaiting processing.

Anyone out there have any experience/suggestions? Thanks!

I would totally do that, but I've heard horror stories of people being denied entry back in. I've been here since May 2012, so it's been a year. The woman at the border was already a little snarky with me on my initial entry and I was only coming for 2 months.

Just a thought. This may or may not apply here, but are all your ducks in a row for proving domicile?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.