BB Family

US Naturalization and Dual Citizenship

59 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 5/1/2013 at 8:19 PM, DaveE said:

I think the correct answer is that you get to choose which one you use. On the Bureau of Immigration Philippines web page there is a section on dual citizenship. One of the notes under procedures and document says "(Note: applicants who are married and who wish to use their married names must submit a copy of their marriage certificate).

http://immigration.gov.ph/?option=com_content&task=view&id=163&Itemid=83

SO in my situation i will get naturalize probably next week with my now legal name. and when i apply for my dual citizenship and file d a philippine passport do i have a choice if i can keep my maiden name or use my legal name? it is my fault not to change my name in N400 process ( where i should know better, but not). by the way i applied 5 years in N400 (petitioning myself)  i am seperated to my ex husband (not divorce yet) for 8 years and  i will going to to philippines with my daughter this year and would like to have a dual citizenship before we go there. so is it possible to apply philippine passport under my Maiden name or used my legal name (which is still under my ex husbands name). please help

Timeline
6 hours ago, Heidy1980 said:

SO in my situation i will get naturalize probably next week with my now legal name. and when i apply for my dual citizenship and file d a philippine passport do i have a choice if i can keep my maiden name or use my legal name? it is my fault not to change my name in N400 process ( where i should know better, but not). by the way i applied 5 years in N400 (petitioning myself)  i am seperated to my ex husband (not divorce yet) for 8 years and  i will going to to philippines with my daughter this year and would like to have a dual citizenship before we go there. so is it possible to apply philippine passport under my Maiden name or used my legal name (which is still under my ex husbands name). please help

Did you complete Report of Marriage?   What name is shown in your current passport?

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Did you complete Report of Marriage?   What name is shown in your current passport?

i didnt report our marriage, it is because i didnt know that we need to report our marriage, until now that i will going to have  dual citizenship. i dont know if i need to report my marriage so i can used his name which i will apply for divorce in the future anyways or should i used my maiden name, and i dont know if Philippines consulate will let me.

i did not report our marriage

the name that is shown in my current philippines passport is still my maiden name

Edited by Heidy1980

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Heidy1980 said:

i didnt report our marriage, it is because i didnt know that we need to report our marriage, until now that i will going to have  dual citizenship. i dont know if i need to report my marriage so i can used his name which i will apply for divorce in the future anyways or should i used my maiden name, and i dont know if Philippines consulate will let me.

i did not report our marriage

the name that is shown in my current philippines passport is still my maiden name

Didn't report your marriage, then yes you could use your maiden name in your Philippine passport.   You are not required to complete Report Of Marriage.

With the divorce you can convert your name back to your maiden name.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Didn't report your marriage, then yes you could use your maiden name in your Philippine passport.   You are not required to complete Report Of Marriage.

oh that will be great then. so i can used my maiden name when i get my Philippine passport. i will be naturalize hoping this weekend. i might going to used my married name when i apply for US passport. :bonk: crazy me i should changes my name into my maiden name when i apply  N400 but it is too late know. oh well. but i am happy to know that i can used my maiden name in my Philippine passport. thank you

Edited by Heidy1980

Timeline
1 hour ago, Heidy1980 said:

oh that will be great then. so i can used my maiden name when i get my Philippine passport. i will be naturalize hoping this weekend. i might going to used my married name when i apply for US passport. :bonk: crazy me i should changes my name into my maiden name when i apply  N400 but it is too late know. oh well. but i am happy to know that i can used my maiden name in my Philippine passport. thank you

Yes you can change your name to your maiden name for Naturalization... if you did not check the box on the N-400, already completed the interview, then make sure to mention your name change at the oath ceremony BEFORE.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Yes you can change your name to your maiden name for Naturalization... if you did not check the box on the N-400, already completed the interview, then make sure to mention your name change at the oath ceremony BEFORE.

are you saying that i can still tell them that i want yo change my married name into my maiden name before the oath taking? i will do that. but i thought having a name change take a lot of time.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Heidy1980 said:

are you saying that i can still tell them that i want yo change my married name into my maiden name before the oath taking? i will do that. but i thought having a name change take a lot of time.

Yes that is what I am saying.  When you arrive for the oath taking, inform the person that is "organizing" everyone that you need to complete the form to change your name.  How things are done seems to vary by location so I have found.  For my wife we were all directed to a room to wait (she did the oath taking at a courthouse, some do this at a USCIS office), there was an attorney there that "represents everyone" and she instructed everyone that if ANYONE wants to complete a name change to come up and get a form to complete so the certificate can be printed in your new name.

This is the last moment to do a name change for naturalization .. for free.  ;)  

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
Just now, Hank_ said:

Yes that is what I am saying.  When you arrive for the oath taking, inform the person that is "organizing" everyone that you need to complete the form to change your name.  How things are done seems to vary by location so I have found.  For my wife we were all directed to a room to wait (she did the oath taking at a courthouse, some do this at a USCIS office), there was an attorney there that "represents everyone" and she instructed everyone that if ANYONE wants to complete a name change to come up and get a form to complete so the certificate can be printed in your new name.

This is the last moment to do a name change for naturalization .. for free.  ;)  

that is good to know. i dont know if i check the box or not. but if i did then i will just going to get a philippine passport to my maiden name. thank you so much for the input

Timeline
On 5/2/2013 at 12:40 PM, Tahoma said:

Article 370 does not control what name a Filipina can have after marriage. It's only advisory. If you'll notice, Article 370 states: "A married woman may use:" For example, upon marriage, a woman may use her maiden name. Case law has settled this issue.

Also, RA 8239 does not address the issue.

Do you know of anyone who has one legal name in the U.S. and a different legal name in the Philippines?

In my case that is what i am going to do after my Oath taking. take note i am separated in mu US husband for 8 years now not divorce yet but soon will file a divorce, and i filed 5 years in my naturalization.

i will give an example: Marilou Reyes Garcia is my maiden name (Philippine passport as well). Marilou Garcia Phillips is my married name, and also name i am using in my SSN, DL, Green card, Credit card. now at time of my interview IO ask me if i wanted to change my name, and it is because i dont want to go to a process of changing my name to all my ID's i said NO! :bonk: which is that is a No brainer in my part :blink:. now my Legal name will be is Marilou Garcia Phillips. and that is the name i am going to used when i apply for US passport. and i will used my Maiden name (marilou Reyes Gracia) when i apply for Philippine passport. and a fellow member here told me that a filipina had a choice either used the husbands last name or keep the maiden name. and if they choose to used their husbands last name they need to Report their marriage to the Philippines so they can used their Husbands last name. and this happen to me 5 years ago when i renew my passport and wanted to used my husbands last name. they told me that i need to have 4 pictures of him and he need to sign the form, but he is not with me anymore so they told me i cannot change my last name and used his last name. the reason why i dont want to report my marriage and used his last name is because i will filing a divorce pretty soon and they said that once you report your marriage to the Philippines and you get divorce here in the US you also need to Annulled the marriage that you reported in the Philippines. this scenario is happening to my friend now.

Timeline
On 9/30/2017 at 6:51 PM, Hank_ said:

Hello Hank

its me again. you are saying that i can used my maiden name when i am applying for my Philippine Passport?

i will be naturalize this weekend and i do believe that my Naturalization certificate will be in my married name ( technically i am still married, we are separated 8 years, and will going to file divorce soon when i have money). as i am saying i will be naturalized next weekend using my married name (ex. Marilou Garcia Phillips) and this is the name that i am going to used when i applied for US Passport. I will going to applied Dual Citizenship the next day after i naturalize and i wanted to use my Maiden name (Marilou Policarpio Garcia this is the name that's in my passport). Question is, Can i used my maiden name when i applied for Philippine passport? the reason why i ask is i dont to be facing the same problem of my friend who got married using the last name of her first husband in her Certificate of naturalization and in both passport (US and Philippines). and she also reported her 1st marriage in the Philippines. now she is applying for dual citizenship and wanted to used her 2nd husbands last name (divorced the 1st husband and now had a US passport using 2nd husband's last name). they told her that she need to annulled her 1st marriage that is been reported, before they let her have to apply for dual citizenship and have a Philippine Passport.

i really need advice in this situation.

thanks

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Heidy1980 said:

Hello Hank

its me again. you are saying that i can used my maiden name when i am applying for my Philippine Passport?

i will be naturalize this weekend and i do believe that my Naturalization certificate will be in my married name ( technically i am still married, we are separated 8 years, and will going to file divorce soon when i have money). as i am saying i will be naturalized next weekend using my married name (ex. Marilou Garcia Phillips) and this is the name that i am going to used when i applied for US Passport. I will going to applied Dual Citizenship the next day after i naturalize and i wanted to use my Maiden name (Marilou Policarpio Garcia this is the name that's in my passport). Question is, Can i used my maiden name when i applied for Philippine passport? the reason why i ask is i dont to be facing the same problem of my friend who got married using the last name of her first husband in her Certificate of naturalization and in both passport (US and Philippines). and she also reported her 1st marriage in the Philippines. now she is applying for dual citizenship and wanted to used her 2nd husbands last name (divorced the 1st husband and now had a US passport using 2nd husband's last name). they told her that she need to annulled her 1st marriage that is been reported, before they let her have to apply for dual citizenship and have a Philippine Passport.

i really need advice in this situation.

thanks

I don't give advice.

fact - you can change your name to (almost) any name you wish to use at Naturalization (before oath taking).  You want to go through life using your EX husband's last name that is up to you.  Confused why you are choosing the EX name when you could be using your maiden name again... and thus all passports and IDs will have the same name, less confusion at immigration when entering or exiting a country .. and so forth.    Updating ID, DL, SSN and such is extremely easy and a poor excuse.

You marriage was never recorded in the Philippines.. thus no way to use any other name but your maiden name in the Philippines whether it be for a passport or dual citizenship.   

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Hank_ said:

I don't give advice.

fact - you can change your name to (almost) any name you wish to use at Naturalization (before oath taking).  You want to go through life using your EX husband's last name that is up to you.  Confused why you aren't doing this when you could be using your maiden name again... and thus all passports and IDs will have the same name, less confusion at immigration when entering or exiting a country .. and so forth.

You marriage was never recorded in the Philippines.. thus no way to use any other name but your maiden name in the Philippines whether it be for a passport or dual citizenship.   

thank you for the input. all my ID's, SSN, Credit card are in my Married name. my Philippine passport is the only one that's in my maiden name. and i will be traveling to Philippines this november and be there for 5 moths and i wanted to have a dual citizenship. because they said that if you are US Citizen visiting to Philippines they only give you a very limited time and need to renew your visa all the time while you are there.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Heidy1980 said:

thank you for the input. all my ID's, SSN, Credit card are in my Married name. my Philippine passport is the only one that's in my maiden name. and i will be traveling to Philippines this november and be there for 5 moths and i wanted to have a dual citizenship. because they said that if you are US Citizen visiting to Philippines they only give you a very limited time and need to renew your visa all the time while you are there.

Yes your IDs are in your married name.. easy to change those to your maiden name .. and like said a very weak excuse for living with your EXs name.

Here is the deal you have to got to SSA a couple weeks after completing Naturalization.. its required ... so changing you name on your SS card is a no brainer. 

DL easy, CC even easier yet.

I won't try to tell you want to do .. that is called advice.

Now for the Philippines.. as a former Philippine citizen you can avail yourself to the Balikbayan Privilege ... commonly called the BB stamp when entering through Immigration at the airport.  Carry your old Philippine passport and they will stamp your U.S. passport with a BB stamp ... Good for a 1 year stay ... no issues.   My wife used the BB stamp and I avail to it each time we enter the Phils.     Not sure who "they" are but I would stop listening to them... they are idiots.   You can read up on the Balikbayan Privilege .. but make sure you are on a Philippine government website and not some blog.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.