BB Family

US Naturalization and Dual Citizenship

59 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

with regards to dual citizenship, i was just thinking if it will cause any problems being a USC through naturalization. isn't that there are rules/grounds when applying for dual citizenship in PH? idk how does it works.. maybe someone can enlighten me. :)

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is an interesting topic. i asked my fiance about name change too after marriage then to naturalization.i have had read lots of threads before regarding name change after marriage then to naturalization.

The thread are mostly posted by fil/ams.

there are post saying that they never had any problems when changing their name for SSN,DL, bank's acct, etc... but when they applied for AOS, they were told that they are not allowed to use the Philippine name after marriage which is (First name, Father's last, Husband's Last) instead some were told that their name in the US should be (First name, Mother's last, Husband's Last).

While some filipinas were also told when applying for SSN that they cannot use (First name, father's last, husband's last) instead use first name, mother's last and husband's last.

But in other state, they were not told that what they are doing is wrong.

For some they never had any problems with SSN,AOS,ROC but come naturalization, someone used the Philippine name which is (First name, Father's Last,Husband's Last) and were told that the name the girl using is wrong.and were told to change her name then since she is now naturalized.

but i believe that these name change differs from state to state.

With regard to Philippine passport, the Philippines wanted the traditional.. First name, Second name if any, father's last, husband's last)..

Now since me and my fiance knows that in the US I can not use all my name... if my name is Mary Ann Go, and my fiance's last is Smith; when changing my name in my passport, and reporting marriage abroad, it would appear, Mary Ann Go Smith. But i think in the US my name would be Mary Ann Smith or Mary A. Smith.. so as much as i wanted to use my father's last, we just decided to just give up my father's last and mother's last .. so the name that we will be using once I apply for SSN up to naturalization would be Mary Ann Smith but in reporting marriage abroad would be Mary Ann Go Smith.. i hope it wont give us problems.lol.

SSN, AOS, ROC & Naturalization are all federal, the only reason some have problems and others don't is because of the person behind the counter (not which state they are in) injecting his/her opinion, not what is fact/law/regulation.

My wife change her name in the traditional Philippine way, her surname is now her middle name and my surname is now hers as well. We had zero issue with her SSN or AOS.

If you want to use your surname as your middle name when married, complete the paperwork as such, then if the idiot behind the counter says anything ask to speak to a supervisor and if there is an idiot there also, tell them to show you the regulation that states this. Being a burr under the saddle is what it takes sometimes to get things done.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

SSN, AOS, ROC & Naturalization are all federal, the only reason some have problems and others don't is because of the person behind the counter (not which state they are in) injecting his/her opinion, not what is fact/law/regulation.

My wife change her name in the traditional Philippine way, her surname is now her middle name and my surname is now hers as well. We had zero issue with her SSN or AOS.

If you want to use your surname as your middle name when married, complete the paperwork as such, then if the idiot behind the counter says anything ask to speak to a supervisor and if there is an idiot there also, tell them to show you the regulation that states this. Being a burr under the saddle is what it takes sometimes to get things done.

ya. in most of the threads i have read, they were saying that it is the person behind the counter telling them that wat they did was wrong and that the right thing to do is what they will tell them to do. lol. one was told when she applied for SSN that if she (the person behind the counter) is an immigration officer, she would deny the applicant for AOS.. then when AOS came, the officer did not even tell the applicant that her name is wrong.. so ya.. it is with the people u are dealing with.. it's good to know though in the beginning about what is right than let those people trick u and gives false information...

Timeline

As in your case wanting to move your surname to your middle name, in reality there is no issue with that and many have done it, along with my wife. So to be forewarned is to be forearmed...

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

• 2 weeks later...

There has been no change to Article 370 of the New Family Code, so its not a matter of the Consulates sticking to old ways.

When you get citizenship in the USA and the USA allows you to legally change your name, the Philippines will accept that name for dual citizens, even if it is not in compliance with Article 370. But as long as you're exclusively a Philippine citizen, you're stuck with the surname of your adopted father, unless you want to be known as Mrs "husband's name". That's your only legal way of dropping your adoptive father's name in the Philippines until you get USA citizenship.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

The name-change question that usually comes up is whether a Filipina, upon getting married, can use her maiden surname as her new middle name. In the U.S., I believe that issue is governed by the individual states. In the State of Washington, where Chinook and I got married, Chinook changed her middle name to her maiden surname upon marriage. She followed Filipino tradition. In other states, I believe it takes a court order to make that kind of change.

The name-change question that arises is- upon reporting a marriage and then renewing or amending a passport- will the Philippines Consulate permit a Filipina to use a married name on her passport which does not have her maiden surname as her new middle name.

I followed the PH tradition. The thing is my given name has 2 names, as what's the usual in the PH, i.e Maria Consuelo, Maria Christina, Mary Rose, Ma. Theresa, etc. So here, my second first name has become my middle name instead of my maiden surname. I am thinking if it's possible for me to drop my first first name and just use my second first name as my legal first name then my maiden surname as my middle name (I really don't wanna lose it in any document whatsoever, lol) then my husband's last name when it's time to naturalization? However, I am also thinking if that will pose an issue if I want to apply for Dual Citizenship as my PH passport is in my complete married name, i.e. Maria Consuelo Cruz (maiden surname) Garcia (husband's last name) while the US legal name would be, hypothetically, Consuelo Cruz Garcia (assuming that I can do that). Oh, the intricacies of names! Is the state of WA fairly strict about this?

Anyhow, that is why when we have kids they will only have one first name, lol! And will use my maiden surname as the middle name, most definitely.

CR-1 VISA

USCIS

06/20/2012 - I-130 mailed

06/27/2012 - NOA1 (SMS)
08/28/2012 - I-130 Approved (2 months after NOA1; No RFE)
09/01/2012 - NOA2 (Mail)

NVC
09/18/2012 - NVC Case number, I-864 invoice and DS-3032 received via e-mail (3 weeks after I-130 Approval)
09/18/2012 - I-864 fee paid; DS-3032 e-mailed(used DS-3032 e-mail template)
10/02/2012 - DS-3032 acknowledged(2 weeks after e-mailing DS-3032)
10/03/2012 - IV invoice received via e-mail
10/04/2012 - IV fee paid
10/22/2012 - I-864EZ packet delivered
11/05/2012 - I-864EZ accepted (No RFE)
11/09/2012 - IV packet delivered
11/27/2012 - Confirmed case complete via phone call; received NVC instruction letter with interview date via e-mail

US EMBASSY - MANILA
12/18 & 26/2012 - Medical
01/04/2013 - Interview @ 6:15 AM (APPROVED @ around 10:10 AM)
01/10/2013 - Passport and IV packet delivered (in 4 business days)

04/30/2013 - POE: SEATTLE, WA

05/14/2013 - SSN received

05/21/2013 - GC received

10/07/2013 - 1st Day @ 1st Job

ROC

02/21/2015 - I-751 mailed via USPS

02/27/2015 - Received NOA1 in the mail (Receipt date: 02/23/2015)

05/14/2015 - Biometrics appointment (Original 3/24)

08/28/2015 - GC ordered

Naturalization

05/16/2016 - N-400 mailed via USPS

05/23/2016 - Received NOA

06/15/2016 - Biometrics appointment

• 1 year later...

I don't agree with you. Once a woman is married she has only one legal name, and that is the name she uses on all her official documents; SS card, driver's license, U.S. PASSPORT (!) . Now to use this name on her Philippine passport she will need to report her marriage in the Philippines, then she can get her new passport issued in her MARRIED name.

My wife did this process just a few months ago.

Not because your wife "did this process just a few months ago" means that what you believe to be true is TRUE.

Timeline

Not because your wife "did this process just a few months ago" means that what you believe to be true is TRUE.

Huh? You are responding to something from over a year ago.

Is there a question in there or are you stating something?

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

:oops: He didn't read the dates. Love when someone answers a thread from a year or more ago makes me 1966.gif.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

:oops: He didn't read the dates. Love when someone answers a thread from a year or more ago makes me 1966.gif.

Do you have an audience or are you talking to yourself? LOL. Forums are open to comments, at any time. Unless you want a put an expiration to it. I responded because Hank gave false information and I don't want anyone else to be mislead by someone who doesn't know what he is talking about.

"Once a woman is married she has only one legal name, and that is the name she uses on all her official documents; SS card, driver's license, U.S. PASSPORT (!) . Now to use this name on her Philippine passport she will need to report her marriage in the Philippines, then she can get her new passport issued in her MARRIED name. My wife did this process just a few months ago." - WRONG.

Edited by lollicup

Timeline

So you are saying once a woman is married she has TWO (or more) legal names? (good luck with having multiple legal names)

And you are saying that to use the married name for passport renewal you do NOT have to complete ROM? (you best read the requirements listed on the Philippines consulate website)

I KNOW my wife did not complete ROM and her passport renewal a few months ago from NOW... but that post is over a year old.

Just where am I wrong?

Do you have an audience or are you talking to yourself? LOL. Forums are open to comments, at any time. Unless you want a put an expiration to it. I responded because Hank gave false information and I don't want anyone else to be mislead by someone who doesn't know what he is talking about.

"Once a woman is married she has only one legal name, and that is the name she uses on all her official documents; SS card, driver's license, U.S. PASSPORT (!) . Now to use this name on her Philippine passport she will need to report her marriage in the Philippines, then she can get her new passport issued in her MARRIED name. My wife did this process just a few months ago." - WRONG.

Huh?

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

lollicup, on 15 Jun 2014 - 09:21 AM, said:

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

• 2 weeks later...

Your legal name, which is your name now.

My wife changed her passport to her married name when she did the Report of Marriage.

Uses to.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.