slowlyman

What is the most common country represented here?

29 posts in this topic

I don't know who started calling the Philippines "PI" (Philippine Islands) but that is a really outlandish abbreviation, no pun intended. I'd understand "RP" for Republic of the Philippines (although RP may somehow refer to Portugal) and also "PH" because that's the official country code per ISO that's being used in our passports.

I appreciate that you choose your words very carefully, Cary. good.gif Also, we are more likely referred to as a former territory of the United States and not exactly a colony. biggrin.png But we were once a colony of Spain.

I see many using PI for the Philippines, I used to use RP all the time until it officially became PH. Being an engineer, I can't think of Pi as anything other than 3.14159 rolleyes.gif

If you read the history of how the Philippines became a "territory" of the USA, you might understand more why I say it was a colony. The original plan had been to immediately allow the Philippines to be an independent nation, but some in congress got colonial aspirations, which delayed when the Philippines became its own nation. The country might be better off today economically had it stayed a territory of the USA, or even elected to become a state. But Filipino pride being what it is, could probably never accept such a situation.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Lots of young ladies who are prepared to marry much older US Males, some of whom may not be high on the eligibility stakes.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

The Philippines is also the most Christian nation in Asia by a long shot. This combined with the heavy English presence makes it an appealing destination for American men looking for foreign spouses (a significant number of whom appear to be fairly traditional in their mores).

07/14/2012: Eloped in Texas Hill Country
08/11/2012: Mailed I-130, I-485, and I-765 to Chicago Lockbox
08/13/2012: Package received by Chicago Lockbox
08/14/2012: Priority Date
08/17/2012: Notice of receipt sent
08/21/2012: Biometrics appointment notice sent
08/27/2012: Walk-in biometrics completed
09/19/2012: Interview scheduled for October 26
10/24/2012: EAD production ordered
10/26/2012: Interview in San Antonio. AOS approved!
11/5/2012: USCIS claims green card delivered, nothing in mailbox.
12/5/2012: Service request filed for non-delivered green card.
12/7/2012: Service request replied to (but not delivered).
1/4/2013: Filed I-90, paid another $450
1/24/2013: Biometrics again...
4/1/2013: First Green Card from November finally arrived...

4/22/2013: Replacement Green Card arrived.

8/9/2014: Filed I-751

8/14/2014: Received NOA for I-751

3/12/2015: ROC Approved!

7/18/2016: Sent in N-400 to Texas lockbox

7/21/2016: N-400 delivered

If you read the history of how the Philippines became a "territory" of the USA, you might understand more why I say it was a colony.

Filipinos are taught Philippine history in school so I don't need to reread about it. tongue.png

The original plan had been to immediately allow the Philippines to be an independent nation, but some in congress got colonial aspirations, which delayed when the Philippines became its own nation.

Are you sure the US planned to "immediately allow the Philippines to be an independent nation"? Do you think the US invested time, money, and military resources just to let go of the Philippines as an independent nation? I highly doubt that. During the cession, the US gave Spain $$$$$ to completely take control of Guam, Puerto Rico, and the PH. The US planned to keep the Philippines as one of its territories, but didn't intend to be as oppressive or hegemonic as Spain was. The US promised though to grant the PH independence when they finally see that we could actually run a stable government. I prefer to use the word territory because it somehow connotes the benevolence of the US to the PH as opposed to the draconian rule of Spain.
Also remember that the US, in its efforts to weaken further the Spanish influences in the PH, spent more $$$$$ to buy huge portions of land or estates owned by the Spanish friars which later on the US sold back to Filipinos.

The country might be better off today economically had it stayed a territory of the USA, or even elected to become a state. But Filipino pride being what it is, could probably never accept such a situation.

You could be right. The PH may have been better economically had it allowed the US to keeps its claws tight in the country. However, if Pinoys are born US citizens in the PH being a territory of the US, then this particular thread "What is the most common country represented here?" would not have Philippines as the answer. Old, lonely Americans would get little to no chance of marrying a hot, young, desperate Filipina.
Note to other readers with a Pinay SO who are not as cool as Cary: Don't be offended. Filipinas are called names a lot of times and I don't bother to strike back. devil.gif
Besides, our Katipuneros didn't shed blood, sweat, and tears to fight the Spanish conquistadores only to bow down to a new set of masters -- the Americans, so I understand why they fought for independence until they succeeded. It is not only Filipinos. I think almost every group of people wants to be their own nation instead of adhering to another.
Edited by Calypso
17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

I thought you were an English teacher.

That was the label they gave me. I largely taught general literature and sometimes comm arts. The principal also assigned me to handle classes in values education. rofl.gif Can you imagine me being a values ed teacher to high school students? That is quite an absurdly named subject but is still part of the Philippine curriculum. I was creative and made sure they were not bored but now looking back, I wonder if they learned values at all.

I had too many ideals when I was young and didn't pick a more lucrative career but that was fun and useful for some time.

Edited by Calypso
17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I thought you were an English teacher.

Si, man -- you write wonderfully well.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filipinos are taught Philippine history in school so I don't need to reread about it. tongue.png

Are you sure the US planned to "immediately allow the Philippines to be an independent nation"? Do you think the US invested time, money, and military resources just to let go of the Philippines as an independent nation? I highly doubt that. During the cession, the US gave Spain $$$$$ to completely take control of Guam, Puerto Rico, and the PH. The US planned to keep the Philippines as one of its territories, but didn't intend to be as oppressive or hegemonic as Spain was. The US promised though to grant the PH independence when they finally see that we could actually run a stable government. I prefer to use the word territory because it somehow connotes the benevolence of the US to the PH as opposed to the draconian rule of Spain.
Also remember that the US, in its efforts to weaken further the Spanish influences in the PH, spent more $$$$$ to buy huge portions of land or estates owned by the Spanish friars which later on the US sold back to Filipinos.
You could be right. The PH may have been better economically had it allowed the US to keeps its claws tight in the country. However, if Pinoys are born US citizens in the PH being a territory of the US, then this particular thread "What is the most common country represented here?" would not have Philippines as the answer. Old, lonely Americans would get little to no chance of marrying a hot, young, desperate Filipina.
Note to other readers with a Pinay SO who are not as cool as Cary: Don't be offended. Filipinas are called names a lot of times and I don't bother to strike back. devil.gif
Besides, our Katipuneros didn't shed blood, sweat, and tears to fight the Spanish conquistadores only to bow down to a new set of masters -- the Americans, so I understand why they fought for independence until they succeeded. It is not only Filipinos. I think almost every group of people wants to be their own nation instead of adhering to another.

I was talking a bit more of American history at the time as it related to the Philippines. Actually the view of the American administration at the time was to give the Philippines independence immediately. Unfortunately some in congress had developed colonial aspirations with the acquisition of so much territory from Spain, and wouldn't allow the President to do any such thing. The best he could get was to offer independence somewhere further down the line. When the USA reneged on giving its Filipino allies independence after the Spanish American war, up started the American Philippine war, when the Philippines said no we're independent now. That war certainly showed the USA was not being very benevolent at the time.

BTW did you ever see the movie Amigo? Excellent movie about the times. Being in LA, I believe its played there multiple times, it only came to Minnesota once for two days.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

That was the label they gave me. I largely taught general literature and sometimes comm arts. The principal also assigned me to handle classes in values education. rofl.gif Can you imagine me being a values ed teacher to high school students? That is quite an absurdly named subject but is still part of the Philippine curriculum. I was creative and made sure they were not bored but now looking back, I wonder if they learned values at all.

I had too many ideals when I was young and didn't pick a more lucrative career but that was fun and useful for some time.

Damn! Those must have been some smart dancers. devil.gifdevil.gif

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

They needed to learn English to get the most kwarta from the putis.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

I was talking a bit more of American history at the time as it related to the Philippines. Actually the view of the American administration at the time was to give the Philippines independence immediately. Unfortunately some in congress had developed colonial aspirations with the acquisition of so much territory from Spain, and wouldn't allow the President to do any such thing. The best he could get was to offer independence somewhere further down the line. When the USA reneged on giving its Filipino allies independence after the Spanish American war, up started the American Philippine war, when the Philippines said no we're independent now. That war certainly showed the USA was not being very benevolent at the time.

BTW did you ever see the movie Amigo? Excellent movie about the times. Being in LA, I believe its played there multiple times, it only came to Minnesota once for two days.

I am still not convinced that America intended to grant the PH "independence immediately." The US made a colossal investment and it was interested in reaping benefits from that. Sure, the Philippine-American War was grim. All wars are grim but after the War, the US showed benevolence to the PH and facilitated the establishment of the Philippine Bill of 1902. The US might have been evil at the start of its occupation in the PH due to the insurgents but it was the lesser evil compared to the Spanish Empire. There was insurrection because the US didn't want to simply let go of the PH after the cession.
Even when the US maintained control of the PH after the Phil-Am War, it allowed Filipinos to finally have more voice and power in their own country instead of oppressing them like the Spaniards did. America helped create the legislature of my birth country, later on allowed the Commonwealth of the Philippines to exist, and then acceded to the Treaty of Manila in 1946 so that we could finally become our own republic.
The Americans in the early 20th century might not have treated Filipinos as their equal but they were benevolent to us for half the century and were not exactly cruel like the Spaniards were for three centuries.
We have come this far so let's go back to the beginning of this discussion about you calling the PH "a former colony" of America and me referring to the PH as a former territory. Although most people interchangeably use those two words, Puerto Rico and Guam have been chiefly labeled as US territories instead of colonies since the early 1900's until today. The Philippines is not any different. So yeah, we were a former territory of the United States.
I'm done with that topic. jest.gif

They needed to learn English to get the most kwarta from the putis.

We have to learn English because it's widely considered our national language just like the Filipino language. Aside from learning English, we also teach ourselves how to find and lure vulnerable American men and make them believe we care about them until we can easily draw money from them. devil.gif

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

I am still not convinced that America intended to grant the PH "independence immediately." The US made a colossal investment and it was interested in reaping benefits from that. Sure, the Philippine-American War was grim. All wars are grim but after the War, the US showed benevolence to the PH and facilitated the establishment of the Philippine Bill of 1902. The US might have been evil at the start of its occupation in the PH due to the insurgents but it was the lesser evil compared to the Spanish Empire. There was insurrection because the US didn't want to simply let go of the PH after the cession.
Even when the US maintained control of the PH after the Phil-Am War, it allowed Filipinos to finally have more voice and power in their own country instead of oppressing them like the Spaniards did. America helped create the legislature of my birth country, later on allowed the Commonwealth of the Philippines to exist, and then acceded to the Treaty of Manila in 1946 so that we could finally become our own republic.
The Americans in the early 20th century might not have treated Filipinos as their equal but they were benevolent to us for half the century and were not exactly cruel like the Spaniards were for three centuries.
We have come this far so let's go back to the beginning of this discussion about you calling the PH "a former colony" of America and me referring to the PH as a former territory. Although most people interchangeably use those two words, Puerto Rico and Guam have been chiefly labeled as US territories instead of colonies since the early 1900's until today. The Philippines is not any different. So yeah, we were a former territory of the United States.
I'm done with that topic. jest.gif

We have to learn English because it's widely considered our national language just like the Filipino language. Aside from learning English, we also teach ourselves how to find and lure vulnerable American men and make them believe we care about them until we can easily draw money from them. devil.gif

rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

We have to learn English because it's widely considered our national language just like the Filipino language. Aside from learning English, we also teach ourselves how to find and lure vulnerable American men and make them believe we care about them until we can easily draw money from them.

Yup, that's the clearest morph on the RP OFW (but I married!) clause so far.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !