GrayTech

Do cultural differences present significant challenges to your overseas romance?

Do cultural differences present significant challenges to your overseas romance?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Do cultural differences present significant challenges to your overseas romance?

• It is the biggest challenge in our relationship
    • It is a significant challange but not the biggest
    • Not more than anything else
    • It creates some bumps sometimes but nothing significant
    • Not at all. Cultural differences create no challange at all for us

17 posts in this topic

I voted for:

It creates some bumps sometimes but nothing significant

I think I can attribute at least a part of it to my husband having lived in my country for several years before we even met and decided to move to his country. Also, we're both from western countries, so while there are differences in culture, they're not vast.

I have a blog!
My blog.

First date: May 31 2009
Moved in together: April 16 2011
Got married: November 25 2011

Sent I-130 (from abroad): November 5 2012
NOA 1: November 8 2012 (MSC / NBC)
NOA 2: January 2 2013

NVC case complete: April 15 2013
Interview date: June 25 2013
POE: ???

Filed: Timeline

The cultural difference, to me, is one of the major pluses to our relationship. I did live in Mongolia, and got very used to the Mongolian culture and way of thinking, and in many ways, I like it better than my own country's ways. The thing is, my fiancee has never been to the U.S. and doesn't speak English, so while it isn't a challenge for our relationship, until she and her kids learn English, it will be a challenge for them to fit in.

What would Xenu do?

• 2 weeks later...

I think just general differences as people and learning to live as husband and wife were bigger issues than anything culturally. Homesickness was certainly a much bigger issue than culture.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

• 2 months later...

The guilt of wanting to support her family is about the only "cultural" difference that has caused any problems. I'm not sure if that qualifies as some would deny it's a cultural thing and more of an idividual or family issue.

Kevin

Kev n Jena

thumb_Kyle_John_1_email.jpgthumb_Img_2057_web.jpgthumb_Pictures_429.jpg

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Pet Peeve for 2011 - supercilious, contemptuous, arrogant, attitudes.

• 3 weeks later...

It may have caused some minor misunderstanding initially, now it is something we embrace.

I-129F Sent : 2012-11-02
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-12-06
I-129F RFE(s) : 2013-5-30
RFE Reply(s) : 2013-6-10
I-129F NOA2 : 2013-6-17
NVC Received : 2013-06-28
NVC Left : 2013-07-02
Consulate Received : 2013-07-08
Packet 3 Received : 2013-07-10
Packet 3 Sent : 2013-07-25
Packet 4 Received : 2013-08-24
Interview Date : 2013-09-13
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2013-09-23
US Entry : 2013-10-25

Marriage : 2013-11-16

Filed AOS
CIS Office : Santa Ana CA
Date Filed : 2013-12-05
NOA Date : 2013-12-12

Biometrics: 2013-12-26

Interview Date: 2014-04-07

EAD Approval: 2014-02-15

EAD Received: 2014-02-26

AP Approved: 2014-02-18

AP Received: 2014-02-26

I-751 Sent: 2016-01-09

I-751 NOA1: 2016-01-11

I-751 Biometrics: 2016-02-29

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiance lives in NY , so sometimes I find his outlook on life overly aggressive. However his approach to life also interests me. We enjoy adapting to each other. It is a growing experience for us both.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I had to get in the habit of taking my shoes off and putting on "tapochki", slippers. Not too much else. There are a few superstitions to adjust to and a few habits, such as the method of handling food (Ukrainian women are not too careful about refrigeration) but the culture of Ukraine is not so terribly different than ours.

Ukrainian food is mostly tasty and not much different than American food. Not very spicy though. They have some things I don;t like so I don't eat them. Ukrainians do not like fast food, processed food or food in boxes or cans. Our grocery cart doesn't look much different than anyone elses but for the lack of cans and boxes and frozen stuff.

Men married to FSU women can go on all day about the funny things their wives do, but in reality none of it amounts to anything important or difficult to deal with.

Any differences in culture and habits have been more "interesting" than a "problem", actually.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

My fiance lives in NY , so sometimes I find his outlook on life overly aggressive. However his approach to life also interests me. We enjoy adapting to each other. It is a growing experience for us both.

I like this, Its really sweet and very mature

Our Story AoS
[March 2012] Met online on Christian Mingle [November 27th 2013] AoS sent
[June 25th 2012] Met in Person in London!
[August 2012] Steve visits me again in the Uk for our second meeting for just one weekend! [March 6th 2014] AoS Interview - Passed
[september 2012] My first trip to America to visit the love of my life
[November 2012] I travel to America for my first ever thanksgiving with Steves family!
[December 2012] Steve comes to the Uk to spend xmas with my family!
( heart.gif February 15th 2013 heart.gif ) He pops the question in Kensington, London...and I say yes!

K1

[January 15th 2013) I-129f SENT!
[January 24th 2013] NOA1
[July 08th 2013]- NOA2 (
approved 165 Days)
[July 18th 2013] Case forwarded to NVC

[July 26th 2013] We call DoS and are finally given our case # - I book medical immediatly

[July 29th 2013] Case forwarded to US Embassy, London
[August 8th 2013] Packet 3 sent (before received)

[August 9th 2013] Packet 3 received
[August 13th 2013] Medical

[August 16th 2013] CEAC updates - London logs my medical results

[August 20th 2013] - CEAC update - London logs my packet 3

[August 23rd 2013] I call DoS and they tell me my interview date, (2 weeks since I sent ds-2001)

[August 27th 2013 CEAC update - London dispatches packet 4]

[August 29th 2013] Packet 4 received
[september 24th 2013] Interview -
Refused due to passport and birth certificate condition

[september 26th 2013] Emergency appt at HM Passport Office London - New Passport and Birth Certificate in hand
[september 30th 2013] DX collects passport and birth certificate

[October 3rd] - Docs delivered to Embassy

[October 10th] - London Approves and Issues our Visa!!

[October 16th 2013] 4.00pm - Visa in my hand, 11pm POE -Newark

[October 27th 2013] Wedding wub.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

The way my wife doesn't use the letter U in words such as colour and flavour presents our biggest challenge and leads to heated debate....

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Filed: Timeline

Those who come from the same regions don't seem/need to have probs re: customs

unless the individual is just a type of person that nit-pick, of course different countries

have favorites dishes just prepared in a different way but the basic items used R the

same. Some European country & the Brits spell some words different as in color, harbor

etc and some do believe in silly folklores they grew up hearing,thats not bad but but I would

never totally cross to a totally different culture as in religion change, silly habits, or or customs

with circumcisions for my daughters or early marriage ....hell no

Filed: Other Timeline

Even the guy from around the way you may marry and then butt heads with how things

were done in his home that differs from yours, my husband thinks a decent Sunday meal ought

to be prepared in the home , even if we plan to eat out (rarely on a Sun) We reheat on Mons. so

that's fine...so there will be differences from wherever, big custom issues and maybe language

barriers would keep me from start dating that person in the 1st place.There 'd be no marriage

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Culture, surprisingly, has not presented any real challenges thus far.

I attribute that to him having traveled extensively in Western countries before he met me and me having had lived in the developing world for two years (although not his country). Thus we instinctively get where the other person is coming from.

We've only known each other for two years though, and we're not yet married, don't have combined finances and don't have children. We want children in the future and I do worry about cultural issues popping up then-in fact I think its inevitable that it will happen. I just hope that we will continue to be strong enough to get through it.

9/2011: Met in Morocco

12/2011: Trip to Europe together

1/2012: My trip to his hometown

11/2012: His first trip to USA

1/2014: His second trip to USA

3/2014: Married

Adjusting from a B visa

6/25/2014: Sent AOS package (I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131)

6/28/2014: Package received at Chicago Lockbox

7/2/2014: Text and email notifications

7/2/2014: Checks cashed

7/8/2014: Hard copy NOAs received

7/25/2014: Biometrics appointment

7/25/2014: RFE for foreign birth certificate

7/26/2014: RFE responded to

7/30/2014: RFE response received

8/14/2014: Status changed to "Testing and Interview"

8/29/2014: EAD and AP card production ordered

9/10/2014: EAD and AP card received

9/27/2014: Interview letter received

9/29/2014: SS card applied for

10/4/2014: SS card received

10/28/2014: Interview - approved pending final background check; online status updated that night

11/1/2014: Welcome letter

11/4/2014: GC in hand

ROC

8/13/2016: Sent I-751 Package

8/15/2016: Package received at CSC

8/17/2016: Check cashed

8/19/2016: NOA1

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Personally I don't see any problems at all for me. Just normal stuff.

My opinion is the biggest problems are , Picked the wrong spouse. Couple is incompatible, Language barrier, Immigrants missing the family , food issues, And foreigners who wont adapt to the country they moved too. Adults wont have problems because they already know they are compatible. They already picked a suitable spouse. Who has abilities. To learn. or knows the language. Or is educated enough to adapt well. Child adults will have problems. Such as married for the wrong reason. Or married an overly emotional person. Some countries cultures make unrealistic demands on immigrants and families who move here. Such as the Phillipines. Where they expect huge financial support for family members.

if you eliminate all the problems caused by people making wrong decisions. Everything else is easy enough.

I think the biggest challenge is living with someone of the opposite sex, regardless of their nationality- lol.

Or even living in close proximity of a fellow human being. I am a hermit!

I can buy that.