Jon9205

Is a K-1 Fiance Visa Lawyer a waste of time?

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I read in some prior posts that obtaining a lawyer for your K-1 visa processing is a waste of time because they slow down the process and have no pull with the embassy. But is there any added security to hiring a lawyer(specifically the online K-1 fiance visa lawyers)when beginning your application. My fiance is coming from a high risk country and I was considering hiring a lawyer online and spending no more than a $1000 for their services.

I thought a lawyer could help me dot all my i's and cross all my t's. This is very important to me and I'm willing to pay for some added security if it exists. However, the forum posts I read have given me second thoughts seeing how I've already purchased a book on filing a K-1 Fiance Visa and have a good understanding of the process.

I like to error on the side of caution when dealing with bureaucracies so does a visa lawyer have advantages?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Honestly I think its a waste. Why pay someone $1000 just to double check what YOU did? There are no advantages to using a lawyer, all the information you already know. They cant add anything special to your case, not even added security. Doesnt matter if it is a high risk country...and in fact would you trust a lawyer to be absolutely perfect with your case? This is something very important to you, to a lawyer its just another case. And because it IS a high risk country its all the more reason to do it yourself so that YOU know its perfect.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I agree, unless you have a complex case involving waivers and the like, I would not waste my money on a lawyer. No one is going to care about the correctness of this paperwork more than you. We've seen time and time again on here incorrect information and paperwork filing done by some lawyers. I wouldn't risk it if you feel equipped to handle it yourself. The people on VJ who have dealt with the same country can give you some excellent advice.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uzbekistan
Timeline

thats why we are here :) and we are all free to ask advice. Answer all the questions on the forms, N/A or None if it does not apply. Complete the bio sheet on both of you. Each of you write a letter stating a bit of how you met, fell in love, etc and that you plan to marry in the 90 days, include pictures (4-5) with dates, time place of you two together, show some travel receipts, photo copy of both your passports showing entry/exit to the same place and you are done! Plus a check to Homeland Security for several hundred dollars. Attorney's just take this information from you, complete the same exact form, file it when ever they finish it and collect money from you. Of course, this is only the start of the journey, round 2 - the embassy is another set of documents.

Do it yourself. Lawyers are a waste of time from what I've seen. They have no personal investment in the case, you do, so you can make sure it's all correct. There's a wealth of information here to help. There was even someone posting recently about how they sent off their stuff in December and still don't have an NOA1, because it more than likely hadn't even been sent off by the lawyer yet. They just slow it down.

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I read in some prior posts that obtaining a lawyer for your K-1 visa processing is a waste of time because they slow down the process and have no pull with the embassy. But is there any added security to hiring a lawyer(specifically the online K-1 fiance visa lawyers)when beginning your application. My fiance is coming from a high risk country and I was considering hiring a lawyer online and spending no more than a $1000 for their services.

I thought a lawyer could help me dot all my i's and cross all my t's. This is very important to me and I'm willing to pay for some added security if it exists. However, the forum posts I read have given me second thoughts seeing how I've already purchased a book on filing a K-1 Fiance Visa and have a good understanding of the process.

I like to error on the side of caution when dealing with bureaucracies so does a visa lawyer have advantages?

Welcome to the forum.

You choose a rather "prejudiced" forum to ask your question about the utility of a lawyer in generally straight-forward immigration cases. This forum is generally regarded as a Do-it-yourself (DIY) site. As such, most of the folks here do not retain a lawyer. IF your immigration case has complications, or extenuating circumstances, you would do well to retain legal counsel.

In our case, we decided that our money would be better spent on other things than an immigration attorney. The wealth of information and good advice available on this forum, confirmed our choice.

YMMV.

Good luck.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

They are very good at taking your money. All else, unless your case is highly unusual, you can do better.

It's not that hard, especially if you Read the VJ Guides and follow the Example Forms, link buttons at the top of this page.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Yemen
Timeline

I had to LOL at "high risk country". High risk of what? I think you mean high fraud risk. Well my fiancé is from a high fraud risk country too. I posted my own predicament recently on this forum. There was a typo in my statement that was attached to the I-129f forms. I originally met my fiancé in 2006 but 2007 was written. There was a photo of us included from end of 2006 even. Guess what? My lawyer didn't catch that. There is NO added security with a lawyer and no advantages. It's a waste of money and I regret spending so much on her services when she didn't even do a thorough job reviewing my packet before submitting it. And this woman is supposedly a star AILA attorney. All that money could have been put to better use preparing for my fiancé's arrival in the US or our wedding. Having been in your shoes, I advise you save your money for a more useful purpose.

"If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello."

- Paulo Coelho

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think ours was a waste of money. He was there at any time to ask questions and put everything we needed together. If you don't want the hassle of doing it yourself or having to second guess yourself, I would hire one.

Each to their own though!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The I-129f is TWO pieces of paper (2) plus a G-325a. It is all personal information you know off the top of your head and some copies of documents you have in your desk drawer. What on earth would a lawyer DO?

College applications are FAR more difficult and those are completed all the time by high school students not even old enough to get married.

A job application for Home Depot is more complex than an I-129f. Requires a background check and a drug test, in addition to at least TWO interviews. Who hires an attorney for that?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The I-129f is TWO pieces of paper (2) plus a G-325a. It is all personal information you know off the top of your head and some copies of documents you have in your desk drawer. What on earth would a lawyer DO?

College applications are FAR more difficult and those are completed all the time by high school students not even old enough to get married.

A job application for Home Depot is more complex than an I-129f. Requires a background check and a drug test, in addition to at least TWO interviews. Who hires an attorney for that?

This puts it in perspective.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Do it yourself. Lawyers are a waste of time from what I've seen. They have no personal investment in the case, you do, so you can make sure it's all correct. There's a wealth of information here to help. There was even someone posting recently about how they sent off their stuff in December and still don't have an NOA1, because it more than likely hadn't even been sent off by the lawyer yet. They just slow it down.

Yep that was me now i got everything back and starting to do it on my own. Three months wasted! :wacko:

Filed: Timeline

rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif Sooooo true!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.