tracyandoksana

Teaching my wife to drive

42 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I trained my wife on the parking lot. Then I let my dad take her out on local roads. Then before the actual road test I got her 4 sessions with an instructor. She has her license now. But she still doesn't feel confident enough to drive on the highways. One of these days I gotta take her out at like 5am I think.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Bahamas
Timeline

i am definitely going to driving school! i am too neurotic to sit in the car with jig teaching me. tried that before and i totally lost focus. i can function fairly well at home but in philly you have to deal with highways, crazy intersections (2 of the nation's deadliest are right here), insane drivers, one way roads, and all kinds of rules that we either don't have or pointedly ignore. besides, jig has a stick and i never learned how to master it.

Adjustment of Status

July 1 2006 - Sent EAD & AOS packet

Sept 19 2006 - EAD APPROVED

Sept 22 2006 - AOS APPROVED

Sept 23 2006 - EAD card arrived

Sept 29 2006 - GC arrived!!!

Removal of Conditions

Jul 9 2008 - Filed @ VSC

Feb 25 2009 - Transferred to CSC

June 20 2009 - Card production ordered

NATURALIZATION

Aug 24 2009 - Mailed N-400 priority mail

Aug 26 2009 - rec'd at TX Lockbox

Aug 27 2009 - NOA1 (rec'd 8/31)

Aug 28 2009 - check cashed

Sept 4 2009 - biometrics notice [rec'd Sept 9]

Sept 25 2009 - Biometrics

Oct 17 2009 - Email about file transfer for interview

Oct 21 2009 - Interview Letter Rec'd

Dec 8 2009 - Interview - PASSED!!!!!!

Dec 19 2009 - Oath Letter rec'd

Jan 14 2010 - OATH CEREMONY!!!!

Jan 15 2010 - Passport app.

Jan 21 2010 - Nat. cert. returned

Jan 22 2010 - Passport rec'd

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

My Dad taught my mother, myself, my brother and 4 of my 6 sisters (others are too young) to drive...And he has a big head of white hair to show for it :D

When he was teaching me, I was at the crossroads to our road and there was oncoming traffic. I mumbled to myself "Will I chance it?"....My Dad nearly had a seizure!! so I figured it was best to wait until I KNEW i could make the turn and not drive my poor Father demented!!

I also took 4 lessons with an instructor before my driving test to become familiar to the route I'd be taken(about 5 miles) and all the little things they would fail you for...coasting (keeping your foot on the clutch too long), curve turning, etc. However none of those apply here in the U.S. though, so I'll stop rambling on like an eejit :D

03.04.2009......Posted I-130 to U.S. Embassy

03.04.2009......Ordered Police Certificate for Visa Purposes from Local Garda Office (ordered over the phone)

03.05.2009......I-130 received at Embassy

03.06.2009......Received Police Cert

03.18.2009......I-130 Approved

09.10.2009......Medical Exam

09.23.2009......Embassy receives Notice of Readiness

10.13.2009......Received our interview date

10.29.2009......Successful interview!

11.5.2009........Visa received in post

11.7.2009........All the family flew to the US together :)

12.20.2009......Received Welcome to America letter

12.24.2009......10 year Greencard received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

:lol:

lawl

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

tracyandoksana,

I'm with most of the others, I paid for my wife to go to driving school even though she'd been driving for 15 years already - but in a country where driving style and habits are considerably different from the USA.

They also prepped her for the written test.

Yodrak

any comments :

I had the same question wether to teach my wife how to drive or not. My wife has never driven before so it was a tough task for me. First i thought i'll teach her how to drive, i started giving her some lessons on how to do general things, then i asked her to sit in the driving seat and drive. As soon she started driving, after 5 seconds i told her to pull over and come back to passenger seat. She started driving in the other lane with no control on the wheels. My friends told me the samething that DON'T DO IT!!!! its hard to teach and thinking that you won't get mad at them. So i quit....but then i called the Driving school they charge close to $50/hour, so i took a chance by teaching her. Its been 1 month and now she can drive in a residential area without going over 20mph. I will hire pro's to teach her how to drive on the streets and freeways but i don't think instructors will care so much about basic teachings. So i wanted to teach her that but honestly it is really tough. i get really mad sometimes especially when she makes the same mistakes 2-3 times in row. such as; forget to signal, forget to look over the shoulder etc.....

Anyways i recomend the school too....its tough to teach someone how to drive especially to one you are in love with....

Don't hate the player, Hate the game

Peter Griffin: The deep south? Isn't that the place where the black guys are really lazy and all the white guys are just as lazy but they're mad at the black guys for being so lazy?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
What really gets me is when they confuse the break and gas pedals...

I think every car should have a "break" pedal :lol:

I'm sorry ET, I'm not following you round hassling you, I promise!

:star:

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

What really gets me is when they confuse the break and gas pedals...

I think every car should have a "break" pedal :lol:

I'm sorry ET, I'm not following you round hassling you, I promise!

:star:

Damn. That's what happens when I think back of those times. :wacko:

Or maybe I just need a little break. Or do I need a brake? :whistle:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

I spent a few months trying to teach Silvia how to drive and realized that was the worst thing in the world

So we went and hired an instructor for her, now she has more confidence and I do not yell or stress out when she drives.

12/31/07: Sent I-751 packet to Texas, the LONG wait begins once again!

01/03/08: Packed received.

.png

You know, funnily enough James taught me how to drive stick (no jokes :P) when he was here in the USA last summer. My mom had tried to teach me, and she did ok, but it had been so long since she learned it was hard for her to remember all the details, for her it was "natural" and James had only just been taught all of this in the UK because he got his license not too long ago and had professional lessons. He was a really good teacher :) Now, other things he tries to teach, nah uh, I'm stubborn (don't mention bowling :P)!

Edited by James_and_Miranda

Naturalization

=======================================

02/02/2015 - Filed Dallas lockbox. Atlanta office.

02/13/2015 - NOA received

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

03/12/2015 - In-Line for Interview

04/09/2015 - E-notification for Interview Letter

05/18/2015 - Interview - passed!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

wow I most have been an exceptional learner :P

My wife took me to a parking lot and showed me the basics, and a couple of trips on less traveled roads before I got my learners permit, had that for a week and passed the drivers test.

Don't think there was any yelling at any point :lol:

A couple of days later I got my first taste of rushhour highways when I started a job 60 miles away from where we live :lol: