LMK74

Police reports for countries you live in for longer than 6 or 12 months?

14 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I've searched through old posts and I couldn't find the exact answers I was looking for....so I'm looking for some help.

We're in the process of applying for a K-1 visa, me being the UKC.

I've seen different information in different places regarding when a police report is needed. Is it 6 or 12 months for living in another country?

For instance,

I lived for a year in New Zealand on a working visa. I left just before my visa finished and was basically backpacking around the country so didn't have a permanent address. I wasn't in any trouble with the police.

I also lived in Australia for approx 9 months doing the same thing...working visa, backpacking, left before the visa and no trouble with the police.

Do I need to apply for police reports for these countries as over 6 months or just the U.K one for over 12 months?

If I have to get all the police reports....does anyone know how I would go about applying for them?

Thanks all for your help

Lynn

Yes, you will need all police reports from where you have ever lived since the age of 18 for more than 6 months. Sorry not sure what you will need to do to get them.

Our Journey
6/13/2012 Sent I-129F package
6/14/2012 NOA1 --> California Service Center
9/25/2012 NOA2
10/01/2012 NOA2 Hardcopy received
10/01/2012 NVC Received
10/19/2012 Left NVC
11/30/2012 Picked-up Packet from Local Post Office
01/16/2013 Medical
01/23/2013 Interview - In AP

09/24/2013 Visa picked-up from DOMEX
10/10/2013 POE Ft. Lauderdale

10/28/2013 Applied for Social Security Number

01/01/2014 WEDDING IN LAS VEGAS

heart_28.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I've searched through old posts and I couldn't find the exact answers I was looking for....so I'm looking for some help.

We're in the process of applying for a K-1 visa, me being the UKC.

I've seen different information in different places regarding when a police report is needed. Is it 6 or 12 months for living in another country?

For instance,

I lived for a year in New Zealand on a working visa. I left just before my visa finished and was basically backpacking around the country so didn't have a permanent address. I wasn't in any trouble with the police.

I also lived in Australia for approx 9 months doing the same thing...working visa, backpacking, left before the visa and no trouble with the police.

Do I need to apply for police reports for these countries as over 6 months or just the U.K one for over 12 months?

If I have to get all the police reports....does anyone know how I would go about applying for them?

Thanks all for your help

Lynn

Hi, here is an official government website that will help you. Just click on the country and scroll down until you see police clearance. It will tell you if you are able to obtain a police clearance from that country - sometimes the police clearance is not available unless you are physically in the country. If it states that it is not available unless physically there, then print out the entire page that states this as proof when you go to your interview because sometimes the Intervier/CO doesn't know of this or just doesn't care and will say that you need the police clearance. This way you can show him/her your proof. My fiance printed this because she is not physically in one country that she worked and she applied for a police clearance to a different country and received it in about 3-4 weeks.

Good luck, I hope this helps. :thumbs:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_3272.html

I Looooooove my baby Lyn.

Hi everyone,

Thanks all for your help

Lynn

Your answer in detail is on the London embassy website http://london.usembassy.gov/document_checklist.html#police_certificate

Follow that.

The other page dicussing it is the list of documents required for interview http://london.usembassy.gov/application_documents.html

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Just read through all the replies and thanks for doing that but still confused as one person has said any country over 6 months but then looked at another link that was offered and it says 12 months?

This was from the US Embassy in London website:

Police Certificates: Required for all countries where you have lived for more than 12 months since the age of 16. Present and former residents of the United States should NOT obtain any police certificates covering their residence in the U.S. Please follow this link for further information.

Police Certificates for the United Kingdom: A visa applicant who has resided in the United Kingdom for 6 months or more since the age of 16, is required to obtain a police certificate from the ACPO Criminal Records Office (ACRO). Please follow this link for further information.

I wasn't in either country for longer than 12 months before returning to the U.K.

I'm really hoping that it's 12 months as that saves me a lot of hassle getting the New Zeland and Australia reports - especially as I know I didn't get in to any trouble in either country!!

Thanks again x

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Just read through all the replies and thanks for doing that but still confused as one person has said any country over 6 months but then looked at another link that was offered and it says 12 months?

This was from the US Embassy in London website:

Police Certificates: Required for all countries where you have lived for more than 12 months since the age of 16. Present and former residents of the United States should NOT obtain any police certificates covering their residence in the U.S. Please follow this link for further information.

Police Certificates for the United Kingdom: A visa applicant who has resided in the United Kingdom for 6 months or more since the age of 16, is required to obtain a police certificate from the ACPO Criminal Records Office (ACRO). Please follow this link for further information.

I wasn't in either country for longer than 12 months before returning to the U.K.

I'm really hoping that it's 12 months as that saves me a lot of hassle getting the New Zeland and Australia reports - especially as I know I didn't get in to any trouble in either country!!

Thanks again x

The Sydney embassy says the same about 12 months, however I was requested to present a UK police clearance to take to interview after living in the UK for only 11 months. I wish I'd just ordered it months ago to 'cover my butt', it would have saved me stress and money as I now had to pay for an priority service to ensure it gets here in time.

Edited by edenjames

Met online - July 19, 2011

First Visit to California - November 24, 2011

Second Visit to California with my children - March 22, 2012

Third visit Chris came to Australia - June 9, 2012

Got engaged - June 9, 2012

Sent I-129F - July 13, 2012

Received at Dallas Lockbox - July 17, 2012

NOA1 - July 17, 2012

The Sydney embassy says the same about 12 months, however I was requested to present a UK police clearance to take to interview after living in the UK for only 11 months. I wish I'd just ordered it months ago to 'cover my butt', it would have saved me stress and money as I now had to pay for an priority service to ensure it gets here in time.

I was thinking I might have to just get them in case. Do you know if I just go to the Australian embassy to apply for one or is there another site? I was reading something about fingerprints too?

So much paperwork...

I was thinking I might have to just get them in case. Do you know if I just go to the Australian embassy to apply for one or is there another site? I was reading something about fingerprints too?

So much paperwork...

You are interviewing in London. Are you going to believe a post from a stranger who says 6 months or the printed instructions from London? You originally stated you lived in NZ for a year. Then you said not a year. If a year, get a police certificate.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

So much paperwork...

For me I'm not sure whether they just decided 11 months was close enough, but if I was you and had time I'd email the London embassy for clarification. If you do need an Aussie police check here's where you go http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/police-checks/national-police-checks.aspx#forms

Good luck!!

Met online - July 19, 2011

First Visit to California - November 24, 2011

Second Visit to California with my children - March 22, 2012

Third visit Chris came to Australia - June 9, 2012

Got engaged - June 9, 2012

Sent I-129F - July 13, 2012

Received at Dallas Lockbox - July 17, 2012

NOA1 - July 17, 2012

You are interviewing in London. Are you going to believe a post from a stranger who says 6 months or the printed instructions from London? You originally stated you lived in NZ for a year. Then you said not a year. If a year, get a police certificate.

I was in New Zealand on a one year working visa...I think I left the day before the visa expired so I'm saying i didn't live there longer than 12 months.

Which is great for me if it's all anything over 12 months for a police certificate.

I guess I'll go by the London US Embassy website then although I swear I've read on another official site that it was 6 months...

Edited by Devongirl74

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

So much paperwork...

You should look at the link Nich-Nick gave you, what is needed is what the embassy asks for innocent.gif. It seems it is definitly needed for your stay in new zealand.

I agree, too much paperwork. But you have plenty of time to get those. Plus, it's better to get everything right the first time, right? Definitly worth gathering those in my opinion.

Good luck in your journey!

Good luck in your visa journey!

From the day we sent I-129F to the day I recieved my K-1: Exactly 9 months
I am the benifeciary

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

I was in New Zealand on a one year working visa...I think I left the day before the visa expired so I'm saying i didn't live there longer than 12 months.

Which is great for me if it's all anything over 12 months for a police certificate.

I guess I'll go by the London US Embassy website then although I swear I've read on another official site that it was 6 months...

For some embassies (and it might change from embassies to embassies, so be carefull with this and double check it) the 6 months appear in this case: "current country of residency (if applicant has resided there for at least 6 months)" For all other countries (i.e. countries you lived in but don't currently live in, it is 12 months. At least it is how it works with the US embassy in paris (just recieved the paper today)

Be carefull to get information that is specific to the UK. I know for a fact that requirement are different from embassies to embassies on this: in france, this is "at least a year", not "more than 12 months".

I also know that paris USEM asks for a french police certificate less than 3 months old (in some other countries it is a year and not 3 months).

So take London information and follow them closely yes.gif (although I would get the NZ police certificate, cause less/more than 12 months... let's agree this is close and I am a real risk advert with this process)

Good luck in your visa journey!

From the day we sent I-129F to the day I recieved my K-1: Exactly 9 months
I am the benifeciary

event.png

• 3 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

So as long as I have stayed over 6 months, I need a Police Report?

I was a student over a period of 4 years, approximately 20 years ago. However, on each entry, it was only for 9 months as I left for home every summer holiday during the 4 year period. I did not find any information regarding this.

Anyone can shed a light on this?

THE JOURNEY

USCIS (151 Days)
09/03/2012- I-130 Mailed
09/06/2012- NOA1
02/04/2013- I-130 Approved

NVC (95 Days)

03/04/2013- Case number assigned.
03/06/2013- Received AOS bill -same time DS-3032 received via email through Petitioner.
03/06/2013- Sent DS-3023 via snail mail from Malaysia (form require signature of Beneficiary).
03/07/2013- AOS Bill Paid
03/15/2013- AOS Package sent
03/28/2013- IV Bill Received and Paid
04/02/2013- IV Package Sent
04/15/2013- DS230 arrived via snail mail in Malaysia! (no action taken because it has already been sent)
04/17/2013- Received Checklist for IV package -missing info
04/18/2013- Sent Checklist via snail mail again, signature required. (Checked with NVC if email possible to speed things up but was denied).

05/15/2013- Checklist (again...headbonk.gif what joy...)
06/05/2013- wub.png Case Complete!!!

06/10/2013- Interview scheduled.

POST NVC (84 days)
06/17/13- Medical
07/30/13- Interview

07/31/13- Visa in hand
08/10/13- POE; LAX luv.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.