The Nature Boy

gun permit map used by burglars to target White Plains home?

28 posts in this topic

My link

Journal News gun permit map used by burglars to target White Plains home?

Originally published: January 13, 2013 2:10 PM

Updated: January 13, 2013 5:25 PM

By TIMOTHY O'CONNOR and MEGHAN E. MURPHY meghan.murphy@cablevision.com

image.JPG Photo credit: Meghan E. Murphy | Pictured are homes on Davis Avenue in White Plains. Police are investigating possible links to a controversial handgun permit database after a residence on the street was burglarized Saturday, a source tells Newsday. (Jan. 13, 2013)

Galleries

A White Plains residence pinpointed on a controversial handgun permit database was burglarized Saturday, and the burglars' target was the homeowner's gun safe.

At least two burglars broke into a home on Davis Avenue at 9:30 p.m. Saturday but were unsuccessful in an attempt to open the safe, which contained legally owned weapons, according to a law enforcement source. One suspect was taken into custody, the source said.

The gun owner was not home when the burglary occurred, the source said. The victim, who is in his 70s, told Newsday on Sunday that he did not want to comment while the police investigation continues.

"The police are doing a full investigation," the man saidthrough a partially opened front door.

There was broken glass in the backyard Sunday and a ladder leading up to a second-story window. Neighbors on the street of modest, Colonial homes said they had heard about the burglary.

The homeowner's name and address were included recently on the controversial interactive map of gun permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties published on The Journal News' website.

Neighbor John Mascia said he thought the gun permit database should not have been published.

"I could [not] care less what they have in their home," Mascia said.

Police are investigating what role, if any, the database played in the burglars' decision to target the home, the law enforcement source said.

White Plains police Lt. Eric Fischer confirmed that a burglary occurred but would not release further information Sunday.

The Journal News has been the target of sharp criticism from gun rights advocates and some media ethicists since running the story and interactive map Dec. 23. The story was published 10 days after the Newtown, Conn., mass shooting that claimed the lives of 20 young children and seven adults.

A call for comment to The Journal News was not immediately returned.

Although some good-government groups have come to the defense of the White Plains-based newspaper, some elected officials, including State Sen. Greg Ball (R-Patterson, have complained the permit map could aid criminals.

"If the connection is proven, this is further proof that these maps are not only an invasion of privacy but that they present a clear and present danger to law-abiding, private citizens," Ball said Sunday in a statement.

On Monday, Ball will introduce a third bill into the state Legislature intended to keep the names of those who have gun permits private.

Unfortunately this is only the first. I expect there are/ will be others.

Really and truly I can't unerstand what kind of idiot would think putting that kind of info in the public domain, could do any good. Yet those of us who are leery of gun owner lists are gun nuts. I think it's common sense.

Filed: Timeline

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws would have guns. That's the standard line the gun nuts bring up. Tell me, how would burglars know that the house where no gun was registered wasn't occupied by an outlaw who has an illegal arsenal? Right, they would not. FAIL. NEXT.

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws would have guns. That's the standard line the gun nuts bring up. Tell me, how would burglars know that the house where no gun was registered wasn't occupied by an outlaw who has an illegal arsenal? Right, they would not. FAIL. NEXT.

Yes fail next nut next etc.. carry on peace

Really and truly I can't unerstand what kind of idiot would think putting that kind of info in the public domain, could do any good. Yet those of us who are leery of gun owner lists are gun nuts. I think it's common sense.

It shouldn't be in the public domain. They might as well publicize all the women on birth control so you know who it's safe to bang. Either way it's an infringement on ones privacy.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

It shouldn't be in the public domain. They might as well publicize all the women on birth control so you know who it's safe to bang. Either way it's an infringement on ones privacy.

Yes indeed sir, and it just made the people who oppose tracking private transactions have more of a valid argument.

So burglars do know from gun registration records whether or not there's a gun in the house? Yes? No? Maybe?

surely you can figure that out for yourself.. Not going to get drawn into a logic loop with you. Peace.

Yes indeed sir, and it just made the people who oppose tracking private transactions have more of a valid argument.

These records shouldn't be publicly available. I have no problem with tracking private transactions but it shouldn't be public knowledge.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline
1358130679[/url]' post='5920519']

These records shouldn't be publicly available. I have no problem with tracking private transactions but it shouldn't be public knowledge.

Tracking the transactions will always leave them accessible to non authorized persons.

Happens all the time ...ever read articles regarding hackers or ID thieves gaining access to databases? What about someone accessing data to be sold to the highest bidder?

Tracking the transactions will always leave them accessible to non authorized persons.

Happens all the time ...ever read articles regarding hackers or ID thieves gaining access to databases? What about someone accessing data to be sold to the highest bidder?

This type of info needs to be kept as securely as possible. I would hate to see the IRS database hacked and peoples SS#'s be at risk. But you're right, it does happen.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Yet another example of irresponsible reporting of information to the public domain. The list should never have been compiled nor turned into an interactive map by The Journal News.

I only hope that this is a one-off. Doubtful though.

11/29/12 - AOS Interview in Atlanta - 10 minutes long and approved on the spot.

ROC in 2014!

Filed: Timeline
Re-read the op ....

Okay, per the OP, burglars target homes where guns are registered. When this story with the gun registration map first broke, I remember reading about how this makes all the residences that didn't show up on the map as registered with a gun a prime target for criminals. And yet, they target a home where a gun was registered. I thought having a gun at home makes your home safer? Are we now saying it does not? Can you guys try and make up your mind about this? Seems to change by the minute.

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

Okay, per the OP, burglars target homes where guns are registered. When this story with the gun registration map first broke, I remember reading about how this makes all the residences that didn't show up on the map as registered with a gun a prime target for criminals. And yet, they target a home where a gun was registered. I thought having a gun at home makes your home safer? Are we now saying it does not? Can you guys try and make up your mind about this? Seems to change by the minute.

So you did figure it out on your own.. Bravo bravo I knew you could... Kudos dude !

Edited by Run Herschel Run