Yeti_Ball

What to do if one has no W-2 or US tax records for CR1 interview in China?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

eh - sorry - i mis-wrote.

When never, ever, filing for 'that year' before - a 1040 for 'that year' is just fine.

1040X is for amended returns, not 'first filing', usually.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

do note chasing after a W-7 can be difficult,as

the ONLY notarized copy of her bio page accepted with IRS is now

one notarized by a Vice-Consul at the US Consulate in China (there are 4 plus an embassy, so that's a plus)

If you are thinking to do this, add 3 weeks from today, to your calendar for filing yer pack o stuff into the IRS,

and LET ME KNOW soonish, I'll outline the steps for you that yer lass needs to do.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

do note chasing after a W-7 can be difficult,as

the ONLY notarized copy of her bio page accepted with IRS is now

one notarized by a Vice-Consul at the US Consulate in China (there are 4 plus an embassy, so that's a plus)

If you are thinking to do this, add 3 weeks from today, to your calendar for filing yer pack o stuff into the IRS,

and LET ME KNOW soonish, I'll outline the steps for you that yer lass needs to do.

It seems that the W-7 form now requires an official stamped "certified copy" of her passport from the Chinese passport office. This could take a while to get mailed all the way over to the US and I'm wondering if I have to have include this form when filing my 1040 or if I can just leave the space for her SSN blank for now.

It seems that the W-7 form is only required if my wife were filing a 1040 for herself, although they do ask for her SSN on my 1040 form since she is listed as my spouse.

EDIT: From the IRS FAQ page on ITINs:

What is the difference between a "certified" and a "notarized" document?

A certified document is one that the original issuing agency provides and certifies as an exact copy of the original document and contains an official stamped seal from the Agency. These documents will be accepted. A notarized document is one that the taxpayer provides to a public notary who bears witness to the signing of the official document and affixes a seal assuring that the document is legitimate. These documents will not be accepted for ITIN applications. Note there are some applicants who are exempt from this change. This exemption is described in a previous question.

Edited by Yeti_Ball

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It seems that the W-7 form now requires an official stamped "certified copy" of her passport from the Chinese passport office. This could take a while to get mailed all the way over to the US and I'm wondering if I have to have include this form when filing my 1040 or if I can just leave the space for her SSN blank for now.

It seems that the W-7 form is only required if my wife were filing a 1040 for herself, although they do ask for her SSN on my 1040 form since she is listed as my spouse.

EDIT: From the IRS FAQ page on ITINs:

What is the difference between a "certified" and a "notarized" document?

A certified document is one that the original issuing agency provides and certifies as an exact copy of the original document and contains an official stamped seal from the Agency. These documents will be accepted. A notarized document is one that the taxpayer provides to a public notary who bears witness to the signing of the official document and affixes a seal assuring that the document is legitimate. These documents will not be accepted for ITIN applications. Note there are some applicants who are exempt from this change. This exemption is described in a previous question.

You MUST include this document.

It must be copied by the issuing agency that issued the passport.

If you don't want to deal with that, file married separately, and write NRA where the SSN goes.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

if you are filing 'married filing jointly' then she needs the w-7 paperwork.

If filing 'married filing seperately' then she not need the w-7 paperwork.

Timeline

if you are filing 'married filing jointly' then she needs the w-7 paperwork.

If filing 'married filing seperately' then she not need the w-7 paperwork.

Okay good to know. will do that for now. another thing, seeing as how I've been married for less then a year, when i file for 2011 & 2010 would i file as NOT married since i was single during those years or married since i am NOW married, AT THE TIME OF FILING? i know this is not a tax forum, just throwing it out there!

Timeline

less than a year = married in 2012 .

so, single status in prior years, married filing seperately for 2012.

Timeline

you could back file with a 1040X (include a w-7 for an itin for yer lass if you want) with f2555 on your prior 3 years. No W-2s needed from your chinese employer.

but - where are you in the process? If you just filed the I-130, it won't matter at the moment - you have some time nowish to get this fixed . It matters at NVC, when submitting the I-864.

If you've already submitted the I-130 - please fill out yer timeline at http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=150741

Ultimately, for the I-864 headed to Guangzhou IV (They do the final evaluation, btw, and are hard-asses for 3 years o prior tax data) it's best you show 3 prior years o tax data with your current employment info.

Good Luck! (if you change yer country to China in yer profile settings, we can find you in the portal and you'll get other answers from members with Chinese Spouses who have been in yer situation)

I have another question, when you say "past three years" would that be 1040's for 2010, 2011 and 2012... or would you need to include the 2009 form too seeing as how 2012 is kind of "this years" taxes? What do you think?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have another question, when you say "past three years" would that be 1040's for 2010, 2011 and 2012... or would you need to include the 2009 form too seeing as how 2012 is kind of "this years" taxes? What do you think?

2009 before the april deadline

oldlady.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline

Yeah I think I might just do that. Also, just for the record, I've found this on the IRS website for anyone in a similar situation, should prove to be awesome!

irs (dot) gov/uac/Instructions-for-New-Streamlined-Filing-Compliance-Procedures-for-Non-Resident-Non-Filer-US-Taxpayers

Thank you so much for posting this information, I'm going to use this procedure and hopefully get this off my shoulders! Good luck to you!

USC married to Palestinian lived in Doha, Qatar for seven years, in the USA since July 2013 with an eight year old and a two year old smile.png

USCIS - 37 days
12.13.12: Sent I-130 from abroad
12.16.12: Delivered to Chicago Lock Box
12.19.12: NOA1 - E-mail, MSC number
12.21.12: Case showed up online
01.25.13: NOA2
01.30.13: Email from USCIS - Post Decision Activity - Case sent to NVC
NVC - 28 Days
02.05.13: NVC Received
02.22.13: Case/IIN Received

AOS Track
02.26.13: AOS bill invoiced
02.27.13: Pay AOS bill
03.06.13: AOS bill shows PAID
03.07.13: AOS package sent

IV Track
02.23.13: DS-3032 sent
03.03.13: DS-3032 re-sent for Supervisor Review
03.04.13: DS-3032 accepted
03.06.13: First DS-3032 accepted!
03.05.13: IV bill invoiced
03.06.13: Pay IV bill
03.07.13: IV bill shows PAID
03.07.13: IV package sent

03.11.13: AOS and IV Packages delivered to NVC
03.20.13: IV Package Accepted
03.22.13: Case complete
03.29.13: Interview scheduled - Email
04.02.13: Case left NVC
Consulate
04.04.13: Case received
04.08.13 - Medical
04.28.13 - Interview - Approved

05.02.13 - Visa In Hand
07.21.13 - POE (Washington D.C.)

Gearing up to apply for Naturalization in April 2016!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.