4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

Hello all. I am a new member and I am married and about to file. In the I-485, it asks if I have ever filed for permanent residence in the US? I was married before my current marriage, to a lady who afterwards won the visa lottery. We both sent DS-230 to the NVC as it said to update if there was any change in status of the lottery winner who became my spouse shortly before winning the lottery. We were both sent a letter to go to the consulate. At that point, I decided to opt out. I attended the interview but was not interviewed neither did I pay the visa fees or anything. My passport was not touched or anything. My former spouse went in for the interview alone!!!! This was in 2001. We lost contact after she moved to the states and I had the marriage annulled in 2004. I was granted a B1 visa in 2010 and the interviewing officer indicated that I had attempted to migrate before? I explained to him that my former spouse won the lottery and we sent forms to NVS, but that I chose not to continue with the interview so I wasnt denied or anything like that. Just dropped out. I was given a visa and had travelled here 2ce after that. I met my wife on my last trip in 2011 and we got married in Feb 2012. My question is what do I put as answer to that question? Have i filed for permanent residence before in form I-485.

Thank you all for your help

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

Hello all. I am a new member and I am married and about to file. In the I-485, it asks if I have ever filed for permanent residence in the US? I was married before my current marriage, to a lady who afterwards won the visa lottery. We both sent DS-230 to the NVC as it said to update if there was any change in status of the lottery winner who became my spouse shortly before winning the lottery. We were both sent a letter to go to the consulate. At that point, I decided to opt out. I attended the interview but was not interviewed neither did I pay the visa fees or anything. My passport was not touched or anything. My former spouse went in for the interview alone!!!! This was in 2001. We lost contact after she moved to the states and I had the marriage annulled in 2004. I was granted a B1 visa in 2010 and the interviewing officer indicated that I had attempted to migrate before? I explained to him that my former spouse won the lottery and we sent forms to NVS, but that I chose not to continue with the interview so I wasnt denied or anything like that. Just dropped out. I was given a visa and had travelled here 2ce after that. I met my wife on my last trip in 2011 and we got married in Feb 2012. My question is what do I put as answer to that question? Have i filed for permanent residence before in form I-485.

Thank you all for your help

The answer would be Yes because you did file for permanent resident via visa lottery. Just like your ex got a green card you would have if you didn't back out but it is already in the system. The result doesn't matter.

Just be sure you attach a letter of explanation so there's no confusion.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The answer would be Yes because you did file for permanent resident via visa lottery. Just like your ex got a green card you would have if you didn't back out but it is already in the system. The result doesn't matter.

Just be sure you attach a letter of explanation so there's no confusion.

Hi. Is there anyway we can pm each other?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You would tick off the YES then on a new paper you put additional information. For this and any other thing you need more space for you make a line Additional information for question X then you state what you want to say. For the DV lottery one it would look like

In year XXXX I was married to Jane Doe who won the DV lottery. On her paperwork I was listed as her spouse , however the relationship ended before the interview and I did NOT pursue the visa. We formally ended the marriage on ( DATE)

You will probably have to show both the marriage papers and the divorce/annulment documents.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.